Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ladies Lunch

What's your ideal ladies' lunch? I have some vague ideas after a a few years of hosting and feasting. Today is my turn to host the luncheon. My friends and I (the gang of four) have gotten together almost 6-7 years by now. We were neighbors! Two of them moved away a few years ago, but we keep the tradition of taking turn to host. Usually over our lunches, we catch up with events, people we know and things we care...or even share books/ movies we read/see. Each time I host, I try to vary the food we have, depending on the seasonal selections of food and the mood I'm in.
I bought some carnations for the table setting and set the table for four. EASY!

I love Seafood crepes! It is fancy, it is French AND it is easy to prepare ahead.  Look at how it turned out. A little dill goes a long way! I used the Herbes de Provence that I bought last year from the market near Eiffel Tower in Paris. I also find that the secret to a good crepe is using the best cheese you can afford. In this case, I used my favorite cheese-Swiss Gruyere! YUM!


And of course, there's the dessert! I have my go-to Chocolate tart. It's a Bittersweet Chocolate Tart made with all the goodness! I used up a whole bag of Ghradelli Bittersweet Chocolate and skim milk (the recipe calls for cream-too rich for my belly!)

Then I baked the pie/tart crust "blind". I have this handy dandy beads JUST for this purpose. This is how it looked after baking ( 350 F for 15 min).!



What a YUMMY result! I got the recipe from this particular issue (Jan. 2008).

Today I had a great time chatting up with my friends. One of them went to the Toronto Film Festival (TIFF) a week ago and she met a few celebrieties herself! I got to hear her perspective about George Clooney and Oprah up close and personal. My friend thinks Oprah is so genuinely nice and wonderful just like what you would have expected! But George... well, George is George! Let's just say, he didn't "behave" (LOL).

My friends are so thoughtful and they "rewarded" me with some LOVELY hostess gifts!! Isn' that doll (for cheese grater/lemon zest) the cutest thing?

And there you have it, an IDEAL ladies lunch!

17 comments:

Suzanne C said...

What a lovely craft room and beautiful lunch for your friends! Love the grater it is adorable!

Susan McRae said...

Scrumptious looking lunch Virginia!

Kathy said...

This blog is perfect for you...love reading all about your fun luncheon Virginia!!!!! The food looks so delsh too...can't wait to come and visit your B&B...lol
Hugs,Kathy

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL Luncheon, Virginia......FUN to read about your friends and your day......glad you had a nice day today. Love, Karen

Nancy said...

Oh how fun is this, Virginia!! I'm so happy to visit your new blog...I just love your writing style, so easy and newsy. You are a wonderful hostess, the table is gorgeous and your food looks divine! I promise I will be a frequent visitor here!

Diana said...

WOW, love your blog. Thanks for sharing!

Linda aka Oz said...

Yes Virginia, there is a blog and yours is one of the best!! Even make Santa happy! hehe Wonderful job V. I plan on visiting again soon. Linda aka Oz

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Virginia! I love your blog header, your writings, and the sweet things you have shared in your posts!

Congratulations on a beautiful blog!

nancy demond said...

oooohhhhh, you are having too much fun now !!! glad to see it, and you entertaining your girlfriends. Love you for your Blog use, you have your own style and I love it. I made apple jelly today, took pics for you. I will be making some cookies too for LOz's cookie swap...will photo for you. Thanks for your pics, always love them V. Nan1

fika said...

Ohhh YES!! I'm able to leave my comment (the geeky office internet has been cured at this time). OK now, back to your blog.. Virginia, what a super WOOW table set.. looks like in a 5 star hotel/restaurant.. look all the fresh flower you added.. you certainly now how to build the mood! And using your beads to give texture in your cake, surprising me! really what a super creative lady!! it looks so YUM!! Super cute goodies too.. SO happy you have a wonderful day with your friends.. hugs,F

Cathy A said...

Virginia, you have done an amazing blog and created your own header too!!! I am amazed at how beautiful your table looked for lunch! Your friends are so lucky...and that food just looked so scrumptious.
big Hugs Cathy

Kelly Booth said...

I'm so Glad you Finally have a Blog...YUM !! Can't wait to start checking it daily.....

Kathy Wade said...

Virginia, I love your blog! I just found it and the food looks amazing! Oh and your craft room looks perfect. Love that green color!
Kathy (aka krolski)

Heather Maria said...

Virginia your get together with friends sounds like great fun. Love your beautiful, elegant table setting and needless to say your food looks yummy!

Stamping Cafe said...

Isn't it nice to be able to get together with good friends!!! Love your elegant table and yummy food, I wish I can be there too!! :)

AnitaRex said...

Virgina thanks for visiting my blog anf leaving me such a nice comment! You have a fabulous blog too! Love your lunch! Yummy food, enjoyed reading your descriptions! But I don't understand baking blind and using beads?

Virginia L. said...

Anita,
Here's the info about baking "blind"
"BAKE BLIND"
An English term for baking a pastry shell before it is filled. The shell is usually pricked all over with a fork to prevent it from blistering and rising. Sometimes it's lined with foil or PARCHMENT PAPER, then filled with dried beans or rice, or metal or ceramic PIE WEIGHTS. The French sometimes fill the shell with clean round pebbles. The weights and foil or parchment paper should be removed a few minutes before the baking time is over to allow the crust to brown evenly.

Hope this info helps you understand :)

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.