Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Twin Birthday Cards!

My sister-in-law Florence was the one that got me all excited about cooking. SHE is the Julia Child to me! When I was still dating Dr. John back in the mid-80s, I was invited to her house for Christmas in West Chester, Penn. For my first meal there, we had a "casual" Chinese dinner, yet she made these "yummy-licious" home-style dishes and then she would say: "Aw... it was nothing....” Every Christmas Florence would host a carol-singing party for her church group and the house would be filled with music and completed with delectable appetizers and decadent desserts. We once counted the dishes she offered, over 30 varieties of sweets and salty morsels made ALL from scratch, not even the store-bought crusts or any mix!! Over the years, she bestows with me priceless cooking tips, gadgets, Kitchen Aide mixer (!!) and years of Bon App├ętit subscriptions. I think she just re-new mine for another year (Yipee)! 

So when Florence asked me to make cards for her nephew's twin daughters, I was happy to say YES! My mission was to make two cards for each twin. The cards can be somewhat similar but different (like all twins). Florence also told me that the twins have hair styles just like the Holiday Dolls after checking my HA Flickr photo stream. Since the birthday is at the end of December, it can't be a Christmas-themed...and so THIS is what I came up with! 
I took the hats off holiday dolls and turn them into birthday girls! I used a little clip to conceal their own twin sis! But it shows only the intended birthday girl on the outside. 
1.2..3...4...Open the door!

Since these cards do require some coloring, I guess I'm entering it for the Caardvarks challege (wouldn't hurt, right?)
I kept the colors and layout simple. After all, they are for 4-year olds!!
Since I "tempted" you so much about Florence's food, I thought I'd share the foodie blogs that Florence recommends. She can make some "killer Parisian macaroons" by the way!
Now I'm not going to follow the recipes from these blogs! But even just by looking at these "eye candy",  I know I will definitely get inspired...whether in card-making or just my dinner on the plate! Have a PLEASANT day!

17 comments:

Jill said...

These cards are priceless! You did an amazing job and your design is so innovative! I always love reading your blog and personal stories! Thanks for sharing!!!

Sanne said...

You are so clever Virginia.....these are amazing. Cute design and lovely fresh colors!
Love them both.....

Jane said...

How creative! just BRILLIANT!!

Cathy A said...

Lovely cards Virginia, and how wonderful that you shared how you got your passion for cooking

Dawn said...

Love the cards Virginia. What a clever idea to have them both on each card but opposites... and all the food looks yummy- had a quick peek.

Alice Wertz said...

LOVE those Virginia!!! love your little altering on those dolls!!! too cute!

Arlene said...

Wonderful cards - love the little doors to open up the other doll.

Tiffany said...

LOVE the story about your SIL! Wow, the girls will so adore these cards and I like your creativity with the numbers on top and the folded opening, really cute Virginia! I'm glad she inspired your cooking today!

Vanessa said...

Your cards are so clever! Love them! Fun story about your SIL!

Hugs,
Vanessa

Suzanne C said...

Wonderful cards and so clever to include their twin on the cards. Love them!

moccavanila said...

Aw...Those are So sweet,Virginia!
and thanks for sharing your story love cooking :)

Susan McRae said...

These cards are so cute Virginia, love the idea behind it! Thanks for sharing those cooking sites, I've bookmarked them for future use!

Kathy said...

Oh my gosh SISTA these twin are a creative genius...stunning...the coloring is fantastic and the design is nothing like i have seen!!!!!!!!!!!! woot woot LOVE THEM can't say enough about them and want to meet your inspiring florence!!!!!!!!!
xoxoxoox Happy Not thanksgiving and thanksf or the message YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karen from MI said...

Hi Virginia! YOU have created the most DARLING cards ever!! Your coloring, design and execution couldn't be MORE PERFECT than what I see on your SWEET BLOG! I must also add that I LOVED reading your little story about Florence and YOU! HOW FUN. Sounds to me like you really "lucked out" in the SISTER IN LAW department!! Maybe Florence would like to ADOPT, OLD KAREN????!! Ask her the next time you see her, never mind sharing my photo!! OK, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your HAPPY and SUPER CREATIVE CARDS! Thinking about YOU on THANKSGIVING.
Love, Karen xoxoxoxo

Sue-ann said...

Great cards, very effective!

Lea L. said...

These are super adorable! Love the peek-a-boo parts! Great job with the Caardvarks challenge!

♥Lea

Clare said...

Love it Virginia! Florence sounds like an amzing person, and her cooking - mmmm!
I thank you for entering my blog and for leaving such encouraging comments - like I said, that's why I love you HA gals! :)