Saturday, December 5, 2009

Cute As Buttons!?

First of all, I didn't win.... :(  if you are interested, see the winning list
BUT I decided to share anyway...what are the cards for if they are not appreciated?
When I found out about the CARD blog challenge (see here) about buttons, my heart simply raced FASTER and my eyes opened WIDE! I LOVE buttons. There's just something special with that little piece of hard plastic with two or four holes in them. They added the warm and fuzzy feeling to a card! The shape of buttons convey friendliness and sweetenss. My initial idea is not really original, I had seen button cards of snowman before, but I actually have never made one.

I added the string through the button for the hand and the little scarf ....and the eyes. I love the button snowman! I counted the buttons, there were 10 of them!

That's got to be a record for me. So I thought. Then the button challenge was extended for another week, so I got thinking again. Here's my next card. I made it very quickly...once I have the idea!

I kept it fairly simple and was just happy that I made another card with 12 buttons (broke my own record!). I was blessed with two talented card-making friend Jane (see here) and Tainan Jane from HA flickr group! They sent me their precious hand-made buttons (the flower one from Jane, the tiny ones from Tainan Jane). I shared my card with Kathy just for fun. Kathy is such a hard-core coloring artist. I bet when she saw my coloring , she must have gasped! She gently gave me some fantastic suggestions, I decided to re-work on it and add some finer details. Here's the revised version.

I must say a little details do go a long way! I am happy with both versions, but the revised veersion does look a bit better, at least for the coloring (LOL)!  I'm not ashamed to share the original card with you. We all need to step back and remind ourselves from time to time: "What can I do to make it better...?". For this very lesson, I am sending the Elephant card to Kathy who make me want to be a better BEST stamper/card-maker that I can be. She is truly amazing! Check out Kathy at Carrdvarks see here.
I hope you enjoyed the cards....even though I didn't win. It was fun :)

19 comments:

Alice Wertz said...

both cards are so fun, Virginia!1! too cute! love how you use the stamps and buttons so creatively!!

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Adorable button cards Virginia! And yes, you are a winner!!! Every card you made is gorgeous...

Kelly Booth said...

So Cute Virginia...Love your Button cards.....

Lin said...

So glad you posted these, Virginia, I DID enjoy them both! Your snowman is adorable, love him surrounded by blues, but that balancing elephant is "truly amazing"!! You always come up with things I would never think of; I'm too literal!

donna mikasa said...

Oh, Virginia...you are too clever! The details and the colors and all the buttony goodness! Love both of your cards!

Kathy (krolski) said...

I LOVE the snowman card! The buttons are such fun! And that cute idea to make his arms with string - clever! Thanks for sharing.

Dawn said...

Your cards are awesome. What wonderful friends you have.... the "janes" for sending those lovely buttons and to Kathy for her suggestions for giving the card a bit of Umph.... yes it really was a bit better the 2nd time... but not by much I must say...just those little touches!!!! You're a winner in my book Virginia.

Susan McRae said...

The button cards are so fun! Love the elephant card, it's so creative and I can feel the blustery wind in the snowman card!

Jill said...

I love these button cards! You are so creative and always come up with the most unique ideas!! I especially love the elephant card- wow!

Sanne said...

I like alllllll your buttons card Virginia - so creative and fun!

Tiffany said...

Really LOVE your 'buttoned' up snowman Virginia, the whole card, really has that fresh winter look like a first winter's snow fall! And love the dancing buttons on your elephant card, I feel I'm at a fun circus show looking at your creativity on this one!

fika said...

Your buttons card are AMAZING V, using so many buttons is challenging and you did it so WELL!! I saw that you have brilliant ideas with elephants lately!! so inspiring V :)

Stamping Cafe said...

Oh Virginia, You buttons are just fabulous!! I love them, you are so clever and amazing! Those buttons are the cutest, how wonderful of Jane and Tainan Jane to share them with you! Hugs!!

Jane said...

Both cards ROCK! So ADORABLE and creative!!!

Anonymous said...

Great button cards! To dang cute!
marilynv19

Suzanne C said...

Both of these cards are just too cute and clever. I love the idea of the elephant juggling the buttons! Love them!

Anonymous said...

Hi,Virginia!妳用鈕扣創造新鮮的視覺效果,別有一番風味又有加分的效果,好高興我製作的鈕扣也能參與其中,這個好的idea我得收入我的百寶箱妳不介意吧!

Tainan Jane said...

Hi,Virginia!妳用鈕扣創造新鮮的視覺效果,別有一番風味又有加分的效果,好高興我製作的鈕扣也能參與其中,這個好的idea我得收入我的百寶箱妳不介意吧!

linda said...

You are soooo creative! So cute...love the elephant one especially!