Sunday, January 3, 2010

I love Crepes ! (and I'm back...)

I am always fond of crepes, especially after the trip to Paris in May 2008. It's one of the most popular street food in Paris! Here are our pictures of that memorable meal from that trip. We strolled into a restaurant after spending a day in Versailles. This restaurant specializes in all crepes...main course and desserts! This was the Seafood crepe! A savory salmon and shrimp crepe!

And  then the desserts! We loved the chocolate and yummy fruit with them! Can you see why I fell in love with them? Ever since then I have been making more crepes than ever! I have tried several recipes and I love this one from "The Joy of Cooking".

1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup milk, 1/4 cup lukewarm water, 2 large eggs, 2 tab.sugar, 2 tab. unslted butter (melted), 1 1/2 tab. sugar, pinch of salt
mix all the ingredients well and let stand for 30 min. ( this allows the flour to thoroughly absorb the liquid and gives the gluten in the four a chance to relax).
Here is my crepe-making. I DOUBLED the recipe here....




Medium heat for the lightly-oiled pan

For the filling, I used the simple yet divine Nutella which is EXACTLY what they use in Paris on the street!

I made these for David's friend Janelle's family who took him to ski.

All that dusting sugar does look heavenly, doesn't it?

I love the yellow hues and colors in this! Very inspiring! One of these days I will try to make a card of this color combo :)

My dear friends, I wish you a Happy New Year! Perhaps you will give these crepes a try in the new year?!!? ENJOY!

PS: I just got back from Florida. It's 2:55am here!!!! It took us 18 hours of waiting and flying...it's kind of ridiculous! All that security and the delay with our flight in Miami messed everything up. Thankfully we are safely home, hopefully we'll get our lugguage tomorrow (they didn't make the flight!). Oh...well, the price we pay to get away.... :)

25 comments:

Vanessa said...

Yumm yumm - love Crêpes and Galettes! And Crêpes with Nutella and Bananas are my favourites!! Mmh - my husband always bakes them for us, have to ask him if he is interested in doing this today :)
Happy New Year to you!

Hugs,
Vanessa

Vicky said...

Mmmmmm yummy! I have to make some for the family tonight!

Lin said...

Welcome home, my friend! Is your body going into shock with the change in temperature from the Caribbean to Canada? It was 10 degrees here when we woke up! These crepes would warm me up! Hugs!

Jill said...

Hope your trip was fabulous and you enjoyed time with your family (and warm weather, of course)! Your post is making me hungry today! Everything looks so delicious!

Jane said...

That looks YUMMY!! We make something similar here called palačinke.
Glad you're back safe and sound! Can't wait to see the photos!

Karen from MI said...

WELCOME HOME, Virginia! Sounds like a HECTIC trip home, but I'm glad you're safe and sound. It also sounds like you had FUN. Virginia, I've been thinking (especially AFTER reading your blog entry today) that YOU should plan on doing the "Julie/Julia" thing at your house! It could be the, "Virgia, Julia" challenge! I LOVED that movie SO MUCH and thought about YOU when I was at the movies. What do you think? I LOVE crepes, just had raspberry crepes WITH fresh whipped cream..........SO DELICIOUS! Yours look every bit as good. Can't wait to see/read more from you, sweet friend. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Love, Karen xo

Dawn said...

Your crepes look lovely... I'm going to Paris in late August this year so am now looking forward to having some real Parisian ones...what a trip back you had... hopefully your bags will make it home safely...

Kathy (krolski) said...

These crepes look delish! I might just try them. :) Welcome home! I'm glad you made it back safe and sound. Hope you had a wonderful time!

Barbara said...

I'm glad to hear that you made it home okay. I hope that your trip was wonderful!! Happy New Year to you and your family!

:-)

Nancy said...

So happy you arrived home safely! Happy New Year to you. Thank you for including your recipe for those amazing looking crepes, I will definitely be trying them (or rather having the hubs try them since he's the cook in our family). And I love Nutella, how perfect it will be in a crepe. Sending prayers for your wayward luggage to find it's way home!
Hugs,
Nancy

GrammySue's Creations said...

Glad that you got home safely and hope that you had a good trip. The crepes look good (I love crepes--my Mom use to make them when I was growing up.) I will try your crepe recipe. Hope that your luggage arrived. Take care and God bless. Hugs Grammy Sue

Tiffany said...

So glad to hear you are home and my goodness, what a trip and exciting adventure! I will catch up on your wonderful photos soon!! Love your crepes and you did them perfectly, they look so inviting and delish Virginia, it's so nice to 'hear' your sweet and charming self again, missed you BIG!

donna mikasa said...

Welcome home, Lu family! Gosh, Virginia, your crepes look so delicious! With Nutella? Yummmmm!! Thanks so much for the recipe, too!

Deirdre said...

They look delicious Virginia. Glad to hear that you are home safe and sound. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Susan McRae said...

Your crepes look yummy Virginia! It reminds me of how long it's been since I've made some! It's very popular in Hungarian cuisine as well, both the sweet and savoury. My faves are with a sweetened cottage cheese filling and a nut filling.

Anonymous said...

Those crepes look divine! Makes me want to get in the kitchen and fire up the range! I have some wonderful jars of filling from William Sonoma that would be great in them! So glad you are back in Flickrville, all safe and sound!
marilynv19

Diana said...

This looks so delicious!

Stamping Cafe said...

OMG, my mouth is watering! Thank you so much for sharing, Virginia!! Happy New Year and welcome back!!

Alice Wertz said...

ahhh.... Nutella flavor crepe... it sounds and looks heavenly, Virginia!! will definitely bug my DH to make it for me!! =) thanks for sharing the recipe and the step-by-step photos!!

moccavanila said...

Aw...Crepe with Nutella...oh..I Love it! Welcome home Virginia, we miss you ;)

jiths said...

mmmmmm...yummy...
thanx for the recipe...

Heather Maria said...

Mmmm your crepes look yummy Virginia. I've never been able to make crepes as delicious as the ones we get in France so I'll have to give your recipe a try. Love Nutella filling or strawberries and cream or lemon and sugar.... Hope your luggage found its way home!

Kathy said...

This is so professional the way you presented this sista!!!!! I love what you are doing here...you have all of blog land drooling!!!!! Love how the lemon is peeping out of the crepe!!!!! Miss you xo

AnitaRex said...

Virginia! yummy! As Jane said my mother also makes palačinke, she makes all different kinds. I have been thinking of learnign more Croation baking from her, I will share with you her recipes when I figure it out!

aileen.lin said...

Thank you so much for posting the recipe for those amazing looking crepes, I tried to make them tonight and they turned out great! my whole family enjoyed the crepes i made.

Ai Ling