Friday, January 29, 2010

It's hip to be SQUARE!

Just sharing a card that I submitted to CARDS blog. The theme is to ".... feature cards that use squares. Whether they’re made from punches, die cut, stitched, or your very own hand and scissors, squares are a great repeating element to use on a card". So I got thinking about my square shadow stamp... 

Since my tree card was featured in last week's tree challenge, I feel more motivated and encouraged to try again. I had fun making this card using some Hero Arts cupcake stamps that have never been used before.
I started with the HA Shadow stamp to make the squares. This Shadow stamp was my FIRST Hero Arts  stamp which I bought from my first visit to "Hobby Lobby" ( my kids still like to laugh at that name) in Michigan 5 years ago.
I'm not entirely happy with this card due to the poor lighting and slightly blurry picture (or is it just me?)
This card didn't get picked : (see winners here), I blame it on my inadequate photography skills and maybe it's a bit too busy ( I regretted adding the heart and candy..)...?! We have been having so many extremely cold grey days (-15C/5F)....I can't seem to get a good picture with a day like that. So it's not ME, yup, it's just the photo-heehee!

One note about my "Beat the Winter Blahs Challenge" (see here), I'm so relieved that the entries are all up and running. BIG thanks to Vicky's DH Aris who is the mastermind of  inlinkz. I will definitely recommend this site instead of using Mr. Linky! Thank you all for the patience and support :)

20 comments:

AnitaRex said...

Virginia what a cute card! You always treasure your first stamp! I think the candy and the heart adds so much! And it's totally the blurriness otherwise it so would have gotten picked!

Jill said...

I love this! The squares are the perfect backdrop for your great stamping!

Dawn said...

What were they thinking not to have this card as a winner.... it is in my book Virginia. Just lovely.

Stamping Cafe said...

I love this card, Virginia! Fun and sweet just like you! Yummy colors too!!

Have a beautiful weekend!

Sanne said...

What a great and festive card Virginia - I know what you meen with the grey wether. We had a snowstorm yesterday - was like the day never started :0( Miss the sun!
HUGS Sanne

TuKara said...

Very nice,sweet card!!

Suzanne C said...

Adorable! Hope the weather gets better soon!

Barbara said...

Oh I love this Virginia! The cupcakes are wonderful and I love the shadow stamps!
I made a card yesterday with one of my early Hero Arts stamps too.I just found it in the 2002 catalog. :-)
Barbara

Lin said...

I love your card, Virginia, and I would NOT remove the candy and hearts.......they add so much interest. And I like that you used that shadow stamp - perfect for this challenge! I love it when we bring back the oldies!

Tammy said...

Cute card Virginia--I want that shadow stamp

Sue McRae said...

Fun and colourful card and perfect use of the shadow stamp. I have quite a few of them and never think to use them!

Courtney Baker said...

What a fun birthday card!

Tiffany said...

Very cute, so fun and colorful Virginia, I can certainly take cupcakes and little candies anytime!!

BabyBokChoy said...

What does the winners get? a prize package? The recognition itself on CARDS blog is sufficient for me, but I'm curious since you did win last time :) I hadn't even realized CARDS have their own blog since I looked at your post, can you believe how ridiculous I am? No wonder I haven't gotten in for SIX months now, lol. I think yours is really cute, i can't wait to see what you do with the next challenge, love i think, sans red/pink :)

CinnamonSally said...

Love your card virginia, should have been a wionner in my eyes!

Alice Wertz said...

yum!! your card is so delightful, Virginia!! LOVE the sweet colors you used! definitely a winner to me!!

GrammySue's Creations said...

I like your cupcake card -- it is fun and has great color -- I like what you did with it. This card is a winner in my book.

Karen from MI said...

LOVE your cupcake card, Virginia! Looks like a PERFECT square card challenge to me! Great colors and lovely design. Sometimes the older the stamps, the better. I remember and have this stamp, too. Time to get it out......thanks for the inspiration, Virginia. STAY WARM! Love, Karen xo

donna mikasa said...

Oh, I love this, Virginia! Love that you used your "very first stamp" on it, too! A great, cheery birthday card!

Heather Maria said...

Your card is adorable Virginia and I love the heart and sweets (candy) on it! Love the fun design and yummy colours and details too. I know what you mean about taking photos on dull dreary days - I'm finding it hard too. Roll on spring/summer!