Thursday, June 10, 2010

Cards for Music Teachers

This is my last post before my trip to Taiwan on June 11. This trip is the most difficult one that I will have ever take in my entire life. I'm going alone and it's... for my Dad's funeral. My heart is very heavy...as you can imagine. Meanwhile, before I leave, I'd love to share these creations. How the three cards come about has to do with  the visit to the Royal Academy of Music in London.
It was an unexpected and extraordinary visit. We heard about this place through David's music teacher Mr. Brennan in his high school, little did we know that it is only 10 min. walk from our hotel!  We found this out after going to the nearby Regent Park. The museum houses the Academy's collections, including a major collection of Cremonese stringed instruments dated between 1650 and 1740, a selection of historical English pianos from 1790 to 1850, from the famous Mobbs Collection, original manuscripts by Purcell, Mendelssohn, Liszt, Brahms, Sullivan and Vaughan Williams, musical memorabilia and other exhibits.This trip to the Academy was fruitful.
We got an in-depth demo from the post-grad music student in all the pianos from the Baroque period to the 1930s. I love how the old pianos sound, each one of them has its distinctive design and sound. These priceless are amazingly in tune and are kept in fine shape. They are not your average old pianos that you find in grandma's house!
And do you know that Elton John and Annie Lennox were the former students from this oldest academy in England?

 We bought some souvenirs for the teachers. We love the paper bags for the souvenirs and regretted that we didn't ask for more bags...well, fear not.
I photocopied the bags and then cut and trimmed them for the front parts of the cards!
I made three cards for the teachers-one for orchestra, one for piano and one for cello.
So do you think the teachers will like it?  YOU have been such great friends and I am deeply comforted by your words, however long or short they are. I have enjoyed every minute of blogging with you all. Thank you for the overwhelming support through your e-mails and thoughts. They have helped me a great deal in this most difficult time. I have a food post coming before my return. It's all about Harrods! You won't want to miss that!

14 comments:

ivy said...

brilliant idea photocopying the bag and turning it into cards!
my heart aches thinking of you taking that long flight over to taiwan by yourself. you know that all of us will be thinking of you and sending virtual hugs to you & your family....

Tiffany said...

Oh wow!! Totally love how you photocopied the original bag! It looks really gorgeous on the cards! Have a safe trip my friend, BIG HUGS! Will be thinking of you!

Jill said...

WOW! I love your thoughtful and personalized gifts! So nice of you! The distressing really adds to the photocopied panel! Thinking of you, my friend, and sending hugs your way!

Kathy (krolski) said...

These are awesome cards Virginia! Just love them and I bet the teachers did too! Take care and have a safe trip. I'll be thinking about you. Sending hugs.

Mr. Brennan said...

David, I think the bags are fantastic and very creative. I'm so glad you were able to visit the Royal Adcademy of Music and check out all those cool pianos. Your very thoughtful gesture is much appreciated. With friends like you and your family I thimk Virginia is in ggod hands.

Deirdre said...

Virginia, you are in my thoughts daily at this very difficult time. I just adore the cards you created for the teachers and I bet they will too... just fantastic idea to copy the bags. Genius.

Karen from MI said...

Oh, Virginia!! My heart aches for you. What concerns and emotions must be going on in your mind right now.......I PROMISE to PRAY extra hard for you, EVERYDAY of your trip. I will miss you and your cheery notes and postings. I LOVED your cards for the music teachers and I KNOW that they will love them even MORE than I do! You are SO CREATIVE, even with all that you must deal with right now. Give your Mom and family my heartfelt sympathy. God Bless You, Virginia and the loving Daughter that you've always been to your Dad. Love and Prayers, Karen xooxoxo

donna mikasa said...

Thinking of you, Virginia! You are so clever to photocopy the package and create wonderful, original cards! David's teachers will absolutely love them. Take good care, Virginia~blessings to your family!

Sam said...

Hi Virginia, Just stopping by to extend my heartfelt thoughts to you on the loss of your father. 82 Is a good age and I wish you and your family strength as you mourn his loss and celebrate his life.

Michelle said...

So sorry to hear about your dad, hugs!
Just wanted to say your design for these cards are so innovative and creative, I would have never come up with something like that:-) Thanks for the inspiration!

walchowDesign said...

You are genius to make copies of the bag and made beautiful cards from it!
Have a safe trip and may God be with you!
Lai-Yoke

Lin said...

What a GREAT idea for the music teachers! Leave it to you to think of something so clever. Miss you....

jaemom said...

How clever, V!! Love that you photocopied them, these are GREAT! I'm sure you're just sad that you couldn't cut out multiple bags and "recycle" them on the card... Hugs!

Tomo H. said...

Virginia, I just knew the sad news. Thinking of you, Virginia!

Loved to see your so many great cards with your brilliant ideas! And thank you for sharing the photos!

Blessings, Tomo