Monday, June 21, 2010

Hello, Darling (friends)!!

(flowers outside of the funeral hall)
It's been a few longs days since I communicated with you through my blog. I have returned safely from Taiwan on the 19th and had a special visit with my family and friends. I am so glad that I will be returning to Taiwan with my son David in December . So I didn't feel so sad when I left.
(the alter at the Buddist funeral service)
I was so dazed and grief-stricken during the funeral service. Not till a few days after the ceromony, I asked the funeral director whether the flowers were REAL. She reassured me that EVERY one of them is fresh and real!  It was a long journey back to Taiwan even though I was only gone for10 days.
 It is painful as I made this trip for my father's funeral. BUT with that said, I'm most grateful to make this trip and be there to see my Dad off.  He is in a BETTER place now.
I haven't had the time or mood to create just yet...hopefully in the next few days, I will get back to it. For now, I just want to share a few photos from my trip to Taiwan.
On the happier side, I had the chance to have some yummy food...
Get to spend some time with mom (in the far left) and her old friends (who are like aunts to me since I was a child)
Met up with my childhood friends (my sister in purple)
I got to meet my Hero Arts Flickr friend Tainan Jane who lives 45 min away from my hometown.
We were in Tainan (where Jane lives) for the world-famous street food. Here you see the Red Bean with Milky Ice. I would eat that all day if I could :)
The following is one of the many kinds of street food. It's my favorite-Shrimp Dumplings!  The wrapping was paper-thin with super scrumptious fillings and sauce. All that for $120 NT ($3US) for the two dishes!
I even got to sing Karaoke with my aunt and uncle. Such a lovely couple!
My dear college friend Claudia took a day off to come to my city for a visit!
(sister on my left and Claudia on my right). Special thanks to my older sister who took me everywhere. Here's she is with my pretty niece Erica

Most of all, I'm glad to be with my mom...
who is doing the best she can under the circumstances. Again, I thank you for all the thoughtful and hearfelt messages you sent me through your comments, e-mails, cards, snail mails....You have helped me HEAL during this difficult time. I'm glad to be back here sharing these memories with you.

29 comments:

Kryssi said...

So sorry about your loss (again), but looks like you had an awesome time in Taiwan! I have yet to step outside the Taipei airport!

CinnamonSally said...

So sorry for the loss of your father Virginia and happy you are home safely again. Thank you for sharing this time with us by showing your photographs, so glad you had time for some fun as well.
Hugs
ASally.

Agata said...

So sorry about the reason you had to go to Taiwan! But I'm glad that you could make this trip, see so many wonderful people and come back with so many memories... Hugs to you!

Sarah said...

Still thinking of you, Virginia. :) Great to see some many pictures of your homeland. I'm sure that being with family was helpful during this difficult time.

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

Beautiful photos of your Father's service, Virginia. He was sent off in such grace and style!

Love all these food shares and people! Glad you are home.. Take it easy, girl.

And big hugs.

Alice Wertz said...

this tears me up again... haha! =) 我相信伯父一定走的很安詳,很放心。

did you eat my share of the food? i hope so! =) sigh... i miss those yummy street food sooooooo much!! thanks for sharing so many wonderful photos, Virginia! I enjoyed reading your post! =) take care, my friend! sending you lots of love and hugs!

donna mikasa said...

So happy you are back home again. I'm sure it was a difficult journey and it looks like it was a wonderful homecoming of sorts. Thanks for sharing such wonderful memories--especially the yummy dumplings!!. Take good care, Virginia. ((HUG!))

Laural-Lee said...

Those flowers are amazing. Thank you for the Taiwan experience Virginia. I like all the pictures as much as I like your paper crafts. I too am not feeling much like crafting these days but I might just sneak some in tonight. Glad you hear you are back safe and sound.

Trinh said...

So glad you are back safe & sound, Virginia! Have been thinking about you & your family during this difficult time. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us; making me hungry with all that yummy food!

Kathy said...

you photos are wonderful :) Happy that you were able to meet Jane and spend time with family and friends to help heal your heart. Your mom is beautiful so it's easy to see where you looks come from and your sister, niece are beautiful too. I have to say the milky rice and beans....not to sure about...hee hee. The flowers are amazing too!! Welcome home and glad u r safe and sound...sending healing hugs

Dwita said...

Virginia, glad that you're back home. You made the best funeral for your daddy. He's happy now in heaven.
Thanks for sharing beautiful pics with your family and friends. Hey, there, Tainan Jane, you met her. Wow..
And even you never forget to share the pics of the interesting food. Hugs for you, Virginia.

AnitaRex said...

So nice to see the photos from your trip. What a beautiful trip you had! Lovely to see how beauitful your Father's service was, so honoring. I look forward to seeing you create but it has been a busy month for you, you need rest!

Simone said...

Your photos are gorgeous. The service looked really beautiful and peaceful. I'm glad you got to spend some time with your family and friends and all that food looks amazing! Welcome home, i'm glad you had a safe trip :) Sending you hugs

Nat said...

the flowers at your fathers service were beautiful. Thank you for sharing all these wonderful photos. Glad to hear you are going back to visit in December. Hugs, Nat.

Tainan Jane said...

Virginia,一趟感傷的行程但慶幸事事順利圓滿,謝謝妳讓我們能分享妳這一次所有的點點滴滴.

Tiffany said...

What a beautiful and touching service and memorial Virginia! Love seeing the photos of your family over there! I'm happy you got to meet, yet another HA member, WOW! Tainan is just as happy as all of her cards make us feel! So glad to finally 'meet' her!

Μαρία said...

I am really sorry for your loss! Your photos are so beautiful, i love to see different cultures, thanks for showing us! Maria, Athens, Greece

Deirdre said...

Virginia, so glad that you are back home safe and sound after your trip to Taiwan.

Thanks for sharing the photos of your trip, I am sorry given the circumstances for your trip, however, I am sure it was great to be there for your Mum and family. Amazing food photos.

Heather Maria said...

Virginia, It's good to have you back again! Thanks for sharing all these photos. I love the photo montage I see in one of the photos - your mom and dad must have loved travelling just like you. The floral arrangements are amazing. All the food has made me hungry! It will be lovely for you and David to return there in December. Hugs.

Kathy (krolski) said...

So glad you are back Virginia. We missed you! And I'm glad you were able to spend time with family and friends despite the circumstances of your trip. That always helps the healing process. Your photos are beautiful.

Jill said...

So glad you are home. I've been thinking about you. Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos. :)

Barb said...

Hi Virginia! So glad you're back! You already know I missed you! The flowers at your dad's funeral must have been amazing to see! So beautiful! Thank you for sharing these photos! Love to see you with your family and friends! Big hugs!

Vanessa said...

These flowers are beautiful. Glad you are back, thanks for sharing your photos!

alexandra s.m. said...

What a wonderful moving post Virginia!
Thank you for sharing with us.
Sending you all of my BEST thoughts ~

Kelly Booth said...

Looks like a wonderful tribute to your Father Virginia...Thanks for Sharing the Photo's and I'm glad your home safe....Hugs!

jaemom said...

Wow, Virginia, I am just in awe of the beauty of your dad's funeral. Those flowers were all SO GORGEOUS! What a wonderful tribute, as Kelly said. We can tell that he was a very special man. I loved seeing all your photos: friends, family... and of course the food! Yummy red bean/ice... and those night markets!!! So delish! It's always nice to see your lovely face. Hugs and prayers...

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Virginia, Glad that you are home and have missed you. Thanks for sharing all the photos of you and your family. Family is very important in times like this. Take care. Hugs to you.

ivy said...

thank goodness for family & friends who give us love & support during difficult times.
TFS all the pictures. (the hot pot looks yummy!)

Sanne said...

So sorry for the loss of your father Virginia. Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures.
Hugs
Sanne