Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Love Story

Here's a simple card for you, my fellow blog friends! I hope you like romantic stories. Because I am sharing one today.
"Where do I begin... to tell you a story..." Remember the song from "Love Story"? Well, that 's how I got hooked with romantic movies when I was a teenager back in the 70s. Today I'm sharing my very own love story right here.What prompted me to do this? My 24th anniversary is coming up in August. So timing is perfect.
We were university students when John came to Taiwan for a summer exchange program in 1983. We called it "Study Tour" for short. John wanted to enjoy his last free summer during his medical school to learn more about his heritage and culture and do some sight-seeing in Taiwan. He ended up meeting ME! He is a CBC (Canadian-born Chinese) and I was working at this government-sponsored tour as a guidance counselor. That was quite a summer job-- it paid well,  free room and board...AND touring around Taiwan with overseas Chinese for FREE! I fought really hard for that summer job and went through a couple of interviews and intense training. Students like me were selected to be the counselors for this particular outreach to the overseas Chinese. There were over 400 students like John from all over the world, mainly North America, for this program. People dubbed it as the "Love Boat". You wonder why!?
John and I got to know each other through a charity event called "Slave Auction". He bid for his group and the slave was ME! I basically had to be a " slave for a day"! He got such a GREAT bargain as it cost his group about $100 US (the raised money went to an orphanage) and now he has me for life! When the tour ended, we were very sad to be apart. He went back to Canada and I continued my 4th year in university. We wrote over 300 letters for the entire year while we were thousand miles away ( the long-distance relationship DOES work!!). After I graduated, I came to Ottawa for grad school and two years after, I received my Master's degree in Education. We got married after that summer, so the rest is history....
Here's my father taking me to the church (Aug.2, 1986). I miss you, Dad!
After our wedding vows in front of our friends and relatives, John and I were leaving the church.
Here we were behind the Parliament Building in Ottawa with both of our parents.
Oh.... Happy Day!
PS: I am working on a card called "A Love Story". Hope you stick around :)

28 comments:

Mary Dawn said...

so sweet, virginia! and you look the same as in your wedding photos!

Sarah said...

LOVE your card, Virginia! I think it's one of my favs of yours of all time. :) Love seeing some wedding pics too. What a beautiful couple! :)

Barbara said...

Oh Virginia! Your card is sweet and your love story brought tears to my eyes! How beautiful!
:-) Barbara

Lindsay said...

Awww! So sweet Virginia! I hope you both have MANY more wonderful years together! Love the card BTW!

Tiffany said...

Yay! So happy you are celebrating your anniversary soon! You look absolutely radiant in your flowing gown and what a beautiful memory! Love the photos and the heartwarming story!

Ashley Nguyen Newell said...

Awwwwwwwwww! I heart you guys and your pictures!

Karen from MI said...

Oh MY GOSH, Virginia! What a SENTIMENTAL and BEAUTIFUL LOVE STORY! I am SO CHOKED UP! I LOVE your photos, too. Honestly, I don't see too many changes in your looks or John's! FUNNY how you were his "SLAVE" and look at you NOW! :) John just CHERISHES YOU, Virginia and 300 letters is SO SWEET! Do you still have them all?????? I HOPE SO! That's the beauty of NOT TEXTING, at least you have something to "hold" of the person writing! Anyway, I LOVE your card, too. I'll NEVER forget your anniversary as it's the SAME as MY PARENTS! They're about as SWEET as YOU AND JOHN! LOVE, Karen xoxoxooxox

de said...

Beautiful card! Amazing story! So sweet! Happy Anniversary! Thanks for sharing the pics too! Touching!

Lin said...

I LOVE seeing these pictures, Virginia! You were a beautiful bride and your dress was gorgeous! And your card is so sweet to go with the story......thanks!

donna mikasa said...

Thank you for sharing your love story! So romantic and you and Dr. John were destined to be together! Looking forward to the sequel....

Karen B. said...

What a sweet sweet post! Love your card but love your pictures and story even more. Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us.

Nancy said...

Oh I'm so glad you shared your remarkable love story! It was clearly meant to be for the two of you. What a gorgeous, radiant bride you were, too. Your wedding photos are just perfect. Can't wait for your Love Story card!
blessings to you,
nancy

CinnamonSally said...

Oh Virginia what a lovely "LOVE" story, so sweet to share it with us. Thank you for sharing your lovely photographs too you were a radiant bride and such a stunning dress, looking forward to seeing your Love story card!

Agata said...

I agree, long distance relationships DO LAST!!! The one of me and my husband is another example! Thanks for sharing your beautiful love story, so romantic! Plus your new card is sweet, too!

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing Virginia. Really was a romantic story and it is so lovely to see you so happy still nearly 24 yrs later!!!! You were such a radiant bride and Dr John looks so handsome. Your card expresses that love perfectly

Kryssi said...

WHAT?! That's it?! You gotta write more! I want more! LOL... What an incredibly sweet story. *smiles*

Melissa said...

Love that scalloped vellum and your story was so fun! It's amazing how circumstances work out and that you could continue having a long-distance relationship is so amazing and shows such loyalty!! Congrats!

Barb said...

I love how you matched the buttons to your pretty butterflies! They look fabulous against the clouds! And what a treat it is to see your beautiful wedding pictures, V!! You were a stunning bride and John looks so handsome! Such a treasure for you to have the special photos with your parents! So glad you shared this post!

BabyBokChoy said...

Forget the adorable card, the story is AMAZING!!!!! WONDERFUL!!!!! WOWOWOW!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Virginia, I love this card--the butterflies are gorgeous; everything about this card is perfect. I enjoyed reading about how you and John met and eventually married. Your wedding pictures are beautiful. Glad that you shared your story and your photos. You take care and God bless. Hugs to you.

Kathy said...

Hey Sista, your card is very beautiful but, I was so taken with your love story! such a romantic true love story and it's so fun to re live it with you and see these amazing photos! happy anniversary and many hugs...been thinking about you . On vacation with spotty Internet . Hugs,Kathy

Jill said...

Love your card and your story is sooo special. Thank you for sharing it- it warmed my heart!

ivy said...

such a sweet story! and i know long distance relationships work.....i'm another example though our distance wasn't quite that far!

Alice Wertz said...

awww... this is such a sweet story, Virginia! thanks for sharing and love the photos you shared! that is a fun and sweet "love story"!! it warms my heart! thanks for sharing! =)

Heather Maria said...

Thanks so much for sharing your love story Virginia! I loved reading it and seeing all your beautiful wedding photos! That was the best $100 Dr John & his group ever spent - look at the result!

I love your card Virginia! The butterflies are gorgeous and look great against the cloud bg. Beautiful matching buttons too!

Kathy Wade (krolski) said...

Oh, how cool is this post! I love your Love Story! What a touching post with photos and all. What a beautiful couple! And I love your card too. The butterflies are spectacular. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to see your next card!

Simone said...

Oh this is such a sweet story Virginia! You and John make a beautiful couple and the photos are gorgeous! Cant wait to see your Love Story card!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

What a wonderful and touching story--I just love looking at wedding/family pics!! Beautiful!!! I really like this card too--those butterflies are FABBY! I love the colors and details!! Great job, Virginia!! Super talented:)