Monday, August 23, 2010

Cinema Saturday...and a little "movie review" !

I always love seeing what's up at the Cinema Saturday's Challenge (see here) . If you haven't, go check it out. This challenge is another great way to stretch your creativity and brain power! So when I found out that Napoleon Dynamite is selected as the feature movie for the inspiration, I got all excited. This 2004 movie won 10 awards including a Grammy. I remember back then, my DD Stephanie (who was in high school at the time) told me about this cult teenage movie and how funny it was. We had to see the movie together. And boy! HOW hilarious and funny the characters and stories are.
The challenge requirement is to create a card with a pocket or a container card. I got right down to work once I decided to give it a go. I sure had fun doing this little project. I ended up making two items- a little note book makeover and a card. Both has a pocket for book mark and  gift card! This is the original notebook .
I had one leftover from my previous notebook make over (see here). So here are the result.
Note book and card (with pockets)
I used the movie's theme colors ( yellow, blue and red) as the backdrop. I didn't have the exact colors, so I distress the colored paper with Tim Holtz distress inks. And then I stamped them with Hero Arts (Just A Note) to make my own pattern paper. Add some pockets, faux stitching, buttons, ribbons and stickers.
Some more closer-ups. I purposely stapled the pockets to give to a real feel of the school theme...and I think a cool dude like Napoleon would have done something like that :)
card with a pocket
That book mark was fun to make. I stamped one pencil at a time and then colored them with copics. I also added glitter on the joint part of the eraser.
Note book with a pocket
And oh...the highlight of my Sunday was to see the movie " Eat Love Pray" (see clip here). My friend Colleen and I thoroughly enjoyed it! We seriously jokingly thought about calling home and planned to tell our hubbies :"Darling,  we are a little late...we are heading to the Toronto Airport to catch a flight to Bali"! Give us two years to find someone like Jarvier Bardem ourselves! All jokes aside, I think this movie is about self-discovery in the midst of chaos and it does makes me want to stop and smell the roses! I definitely see this movie in the future challenge in Cinema Saturday! Thank you for reading this long post. I want to say the same sentiment to you :"U R AWEOME" and "U ROCK"!
Do you think Napoleon fancy my to-do list?

22 comments:

Barb said...

Great post, Virginia! I love how you show so many photos of your projects! It helps us get the feel of all the wonderful details! I love the colors, and you did a fab job with your take on the challenge! The bookmark is my fave!

Kathy Wade (krolski) said...

These are all great, Virginia! I love Napoleon Dynamite! Hilarious movie! Remember when Pedro says, "I was so hot, I had to shave my head.." or something like that? Too funny! The bookmark is so cool!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

So clever!

Alice Wertz said...

always love reading you posts, Virginia! this is so fun! LOVE how you altered the notebook and the bookmark is genius!!! super project!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow - the cards are "awesome" LOL.
I remembered what the T shirt said in the movie - Vote for Pedro - I think we should change it to "Vote for Virginia!" I am looking for flights to Italy for us later today. haha
Colleen

Tiffany said...

Really cool looking altered projects Virginia! Great school colors and I love all the pencils lined up like that!

alexandra s.m. said...

Yes! Love them!!

Hannah said...

This set is amazing, virginia! love the movie, love the project. and.. your comment about eat pray love had me laughing so hard.. just LOVe your sense of humor!! :D

BabyBokChoy said...

Forget Napoleon , I love these !! That pocket is totally awesome, you knocked this challenge out of the ballpark!!

Jill said...

So fun! I love when you share your inspiration. :) It's like getting a peek into your creative genius!

Nancy said...

U totally rock too, Virgina! Good luck with this challenge, I think you rocked the theme! I'm hoping that you'll be able to "find" yourself right there in your own hometown...no need to run off to Bali.
blessings to you, sweet friend!

Linda said...

oh my goodness I love these!! Napolean Dynamyte is a funny funny show. so silly.
I love those notebooks! I wish we had them here they're too cute! (they're even cuter after you'd glammed them up.)
and using glitter on the eraser part of the pencil?! GENIUS!!
I can't wait to see Eat, Love Pray, it's not out in Australia for another few weeks.
fantastic work as always Virginia!!

Karen B. said...

A super fun combo! I really have loved everything that you've made with the stamp set featured, and how you've altered the notebooks! I've never watched this movie, but perhaps I might now!

Simone said...

Stunning work as always V!! Haha always love reading your fun posts and I soo love how you created the striped background on that card! :)

Deirdre said...

Wow Virginia, amazing creations.... love them both. What a neat idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

Nat said...

wow!! love this awesome & super fun set you have created!! You always amaze me with your ideas!!

vera rhuhay said...

Wow...this is Amazing sets,V! You are so so creative!!!!

Vicky said...

Hi Virginia! You are so creative! I love everything you did for the challenge and I have to see the movie... I missed you blog a lot but now that I am back from vacation I'll return to my normal activities and visit your blog daily :) Off to catch up with the rest of your blog :)

Mariana Grigsby said...

Very creative Virginia!!! I love these projects! Thanks for sharing! :D

donna mikasa said...

What amazing sets, V! Oh, my...now I want to rent that movie! Never heard of it--I'm so out of it! I especially love the bookmarks--the pencil one is my fave!

Nancy K said...

So cute! Love the bright colors and the fun bookmarks. Great back-to-school gift!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

LOVE this set, Virginia! Perfect back to school colors and don't you just love those K&Company black type letters? :)