Monday, October 11, 2010

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

We are celebrating Canadian Thanksgiving this past weekend and today! I'm sharing our Thanksgiving dinner from the previous Sunday. My DD is away to college and will not be home celebrating, so we had turkey one week early. Yes, we have Thanksgiving just like American Thanksgiving--turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce and last but not least, stuffing! We also celebrate family togetherness and harvest. Weather is cold and long in Canada, so it makes sense to celebrate it earlier. What we do not have is the Black Friday (boohoo!). I often heard about the amazing bargains, but never once had the chance to shop on Black Friday.
The turkey turned out really yummy! I also like to make my own cranberry sauce. Here's a quick tip about the sauce: all you need is to boil the cranberries in water until they burst, then add sugar and cornstarch( mixture of a little bit of water and corn starch) ...and orange zest if you like ( I didn't even bother this time). So stop getting the Ocean Spray Cranberry cans!! I know you may be addicted to like the metal taste. A friend of mine swear by it that their family HAVE to have the canned kind!! Added note: I forgot to take a photo for the gravy :(  It was  GOOD! I made it with the turkey stock...all natural, no added flavor!
I did make pumpkin pies, but they were devoured very quickly before I could take any photos! Here's a pumpkin card though. All the digital images are from Digital Doodles (see here)
 Here's a HAPPY photo of my Milk Chocolate cookies. They were divine! At the end of this post is the recipe for this Milk-Chocolate Cookies!
I'm thankful that I have this hobby to connect with like-minded paper-crafters like YOU from all over the world. Here's a card that I made with Digital Doodles to show my appreciation.
 I will randomly draw a person from all the comments from this post and will send this card your way! Thank you!
Milk Chocolate Cookies (copied/edited from Martha Stewart's Cookies)
1 cup All-purpose flour
1/2 unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 tea. baking soda
1/2 tea. coarse salt
8 oz milk chocolate, 4 oz coarsely chopped 
(I used Ghirardelli and I melt all 8 oz by mistake and it was fine)
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 sugar (I used 1 cup)
2 large eggs
1 tea vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl
2. Melt chocolate (4 oz coarsely chopped) with the butter in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; let cool slightly.
3. Put chocolate mixture, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chunks (the remaining 4 oz).
4. Using a 1 1/2 inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets (important to do, otherwise the cookies will be ruined), spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are flat and surface crack, about 15 min (I  baked mine for 12 min.) Cookies should be soft. Let cool on parchment on wire racks. Cookies can be stored between layers of parchment paper in airtight container at room temperatures up to 3 days. ( they freeze well also).
bon appetit!

23 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh my I wish I'd been at your place for dinner Virginia... what a deliciously moist looking turkey. And your cookies look yummy. Will have to try out your recipe. Your cards are really neat too... love the colours on the first one.

Heather Maria said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Virginia! It was great that you celebrated early so that Stephanie could be there for the celebrations! As always, your cooking\baking looks yummmy! Thanks for the recipe. Both your cards are gorgeous!

Simone said...

Oh wow! How yummy does that feast look! Wish I was at your place for dinner as well! Happy Thanks Giving Virginia! The food looks amazing and your cards are absolutely gorgeous as always! :)

Sanne said...

Yummy yummy!!!!!
Love your work...........

Vera Rhuhay said...

Happy Thanksgiving,Virginia! Your card is so cute!
ohmy...it's looks so yummy!!!

Sarah said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Virginia! So thankful to know you! :) Love your cards and the yummy food pics too. Will have to try the cookie recipes. :)

de said...

Oh yum! How delish! And your cards too! :-)

Karen B. said...

Hah! I live about 10 miles from an OceanSpray plant but would rather have the fresh stuff too! Cranberries are so beautiful. Your cards are great, love the pumpkin pie one.

Tammy said...

Happy Thanksgiving fellow Canadian!! We're having our big dinner at the in-laws today, then having it with my family next weekend (as my sister is away on vacation). Thanks for both recipes!! BTW--are you Oktoberfesting too?? We're thinking about heading over to the Oktoberfest Parade today, but it's looking pretty overcast right now.

Lin said...

Oh, Virginia, it's only breakfast here and you've got me thinking about dinner!! Your early Thanksgiving dinner looked wonderful -and both your cards are adorable - love the warm orangey colors. I'd never turn down one of your chocolate cookies - YUMM!!

Cheryl Nelson said...

What a scrumptious post!!!

Barb said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, my friend! Sounds like a wonderful time! Your turkey dinner looks delicious! And those cookies? I know if they were put in front of me, I'd eat them all! (LOVE chocolate!) Both cards are darling! Hugs to you! :)

Kathy Wade (krolski) said...

Oh my goodness, your turkey looks divine! I love that poka dot pumpkin card! How cute! Thanks for the recipe and I hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving day!

CanadianScraps43 said...

Happy Thanksgiving my fellow Canadian Fried! Hope your turkey tasted good. It sure looks really yummy! But one question, Where is the gravy? You just can't have Turkey Dinner without the gravy! Lol! All kidding aside, I just want to thank you for being so great and for sharing this with us today. Your cards are beautiful and your work is always so inspiring. Take Care Sweetie.

CinnamonSally said...

Happy Thanksgiving Virginia, I am vegetarian so not tempted by the Turkey but the cookies look delicious and I have never tried pumkin pie i bet thats delicious too.

Kathy Martin said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family V! I adore these cards!

Berenice R. said...

Beautiful cards! Thanks for sharing :)

Trinh said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Virginia! Your meal looks absolutely delish! Your cards are so cute too!

Vicky said...

oh! what a yummy post! Happy Thanksgiving Virginia! Loved the cards but I wish I could taste the food :)

AnitaRex said...

I love seeing your thanksgiving feast! Looks soooo good! I am not a cranberry sauce person though. I love the gravy and stuffing and melence (a Croation dish like stuffing so hard to explain!) Great thanksgiving cards! And thank you for the recipe! I love new cookie recipes!

Alice Wertz said...

sounds like you had a wonderful time/meal! mmm... they look so yummy. we make our own cranberry sauce, too. no canned stuff. =) super sweet cards, too! you are just a sweetie! will have to try your cookie recipe, too. you have to be responsible to my waistline though. =)

ivy said...

making me hungry!!! the pumpkin card is fab on kraft!

laurieloou said...

Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving Virginia. You're making me hungry with all that great looking food! I've never tried pumpkin pie, but will have to give those cookies a go, thanks for the receipe! Cute cards too, love the polka dots :) xx