Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fall Tour of the Canadian Country...

No cards today. Just sharing some fun market photos that I took a few weeks ago....Enjoy! This is one of the popular food at my local farmer's market- Perogi with sour cream and onions, bacon. It was good...but heavy! Yummy though!
LOVE the Apple Fritter and I had to have some samples...and
I had two of these smaller versions of this Apple Slinky Machine (that's what my family calls it).
see the ladies in action
Let's NOT look too close...
but...hey!Yummy results!
Next we are heading to the Maple Syrup Museum in St. Jacob.which is only 15 min drive from where I live.
We Canadians are famous for the Maple Syrup. Did you know Canada produce 80 % of the worlds' maple syrup? And Quebec is the biggest source (up to75%) for the world ? How lucky are we....here's the maple syrup museum! Our tour guide is my 16-year old David. These intricate hardware were used to make maple sugar candy. And did you see the maple syrup dispensers? Those are vintage items now! 
The buckets were commonly made by cutting cylindrical segments from a large tree-trunk and then hollowing out each segment's core from one end of the cylinder, creating a seamless watertight container.
The simulation of the collection of the syrup
At the museum, there were also a few quilt displays! What a treat!
 Thanks for coming along with me to this little tour!
 Hope your day is as beautiful as the scene in this quilt!

16 comments:

Kathy Wade (krolski) said...

These photos are fantastic! I feel like I was there with you. :) My Aunt used to make perogies all the time, but we never added sour cream or bacon. Now that she is a little older, my Mom just buys them instead. :) We still have them every Christmas.

Kathy Wade (krolski) said...

Oh, forgot to mention, the quilts are gorgeous and your tour guide is always smiling! :)

CinnamonSally said...

Thank you for the lovely tour of the maple syrup museum and those apple fritters look really yummy!!

Tiffany said...

What a beautiful journey you just took me through, wow! I love seeing what is popular and the new trend in other countries! Great story about the maple syrup, YUM!

Sarah said...

Great pics, Virginia! Now I want to go to St. Jacob's! I think it's been over 6 years!

Lin said...

My sweet friend, what a treat this post was! Thanks so much for those quilts - love them. I adore maple syrup; that stuff at the grocery store for pancakes is awful compared to the real thing, isn't it? We have an area in OH where we go to buy the real thing.
And I love your new header, been meaning to tell you! Big hugs!

Heather Maria said...

Wonderful post, Virginia! I really enjoyed my "visit" to the farmers market and museum! I loved seeing all those gorgeous quilts and the yummy food too!

alexandra s.m. said...

Oh I love to follow your adventures Virginia!
Thank you for a wonderful post indeed!!

Anne said...

Well such yummy foods- the Perogi looks delish and apple fritter...oh my- love those! The Maple syrup sounds yummy- we used to tap our maple trees when I was a little girl- lots of memories doing that! Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos Virginia.

Kathy Martin said...

What a yummy and beautiful post, comgining some of my favorite things...food, quilts and vintage items! :) Thanks for sharing! :)

Barb said...

Fun post, Virginia! Love the photos! David always has such a big smile for the camera! Love that! The last photo sure is beautiful! Hugs to you! :)

Simone said...

Fun post and photos Virginia!! I LOVE maple syrup!! How yummy do those apple fritters look! :)

Vicky said...

great post Virginia! I love it when you post photos of places, foods and customs in your part of the world! Would love to taste those fried apples.

Suzanne C said...

Another wonderful post! Loved seeing all the pictures of the apple fritter process, syrup and the gorgeous quilts!

Alice Wertz said...

another super fun post, V.!!! beautiful photos and thanks for sharing! =)

allthingspurple said...

so glad I bloghopped today. I love looking at pictures of places of interest. Your pics (and the food pics) made me want to book a flight out to Canada for a holiday *grin* Thanks for sharing!

Psst..since visiting your blog sometime ago 3 months back, I have since become a scrapbooker, albeit a very raw newbie. Thanks for inspiring me!