Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wednesday's Cookie/Card Series (Week 2)

Are you ready for our week two cookie/card inspiration yet ? I decided to make Pizzelle cookies!  I have long been intrigued by this type of cookies. The intricate design of the Pizzelle iron is just amazing in itself. It's almost like using a super fancy stamp, except in this case, you stamp on your cookie!
The imprint from the cookie press make you feel that you are the "master" of this beautiful creation. I think, in a way, it's very much like stamping! 
What is Pizzelle? They are traditional Italian waffle cookies made from flour, eggs, sugar, butter or vegetable oil, and flavoring (often vanilla, anise, or lemon zest). Pizzelle can be hard and crisp or soft and chewy depending on the ingredients and method of preparation. Pizzelle are popular in Easter and Christmas and are commonly served at weddings in Italy.
I chose to make vanilla flavored pizzelles.  And you have to have this pizzelle cookie press that was given to me by my talented sister-in-law Florence (no, she is not Italian, she is an Chinese American who really really know all things gourmet). Here is more about Pizzelle cookies
I tried them with Waffle machine...they may not look as pretty and delicate, but they worked!
Classic Pizzelle
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
3 large eggs
3/4 sugar
1/2 unsalted butter (melted)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Here's a Swiss version from Martha Stewart Bratseli. And if you still want to make cookies, but do not have the Pizzelle or waffle maker, you can try this simple Icebox Shortbread. So on to the card....I drew the inspiration from the textured look of the Pizzelle. I'm also entering this card for Get Sketchy Challenge # 65 . The challenge is to find inspiration from the house--PERFECT! (added note: This card was picked as Top 5, see here)JOY (cookie/card inspiration-week 2)
First I embossed the lace stamp from Hero Arts release Archiver's Lace and Doily set and added the red and green gems.
I used the paper doily for the big backdrop. I also embossed the sentiment in silver card stock and that's it! The silver plate was a my last year's birthday gift form my dear big sis from Hero Art Flickr Lin. She sent it all the way from Ohio! Thanks you, dear Lin! I hope the cookies do justice to the plate!
 I'd love to see how this inspired you in any way. Please add your cookie/card (or both) in InLinkz.  Have a SCRUMPTIOUS day!

32 comments:

Sylvia said...

Virginia, Love this post. Your card is beautiful! How much batter would you put in the waffle iron, and how long do they cook?

Virginia L. said...

Hi Sylvia, Thanks for the good question! About the using Waffle iron, I put in about 1 big tablespoon of the Pizzelle batter ( to make it bite size) and let it baked for 2- 3 min or until slightly brown. (you can always open the waffle iron and check). Hope you try it out. And oh... make sure you do not add too much flour than it should ( or it gets too doughy)! Hope this helps!

Barb said...

I knew it was going to be a waffle cookie when I saw your card in the Flickr pool! No one has a better eye for being inspired by the daily things we see in our lives, than you, Virginia! This card is so fun! You inspire me and I'm so grateful that you share your creativity with us! :)

lynzw21 said...

Ooh, those cookies look yummy! Unfortunately I don't have a one of those cool looking machines, or even a waffle iron, but maybe I can try the other version you posted!

The card is pretty too, love the lacy look from the doily and HA stamp!

Simone said...

Oh Virginia this card is sooo sooo gorgeous! I love how the doily looks like the cookies! Yummy cookies by the way :)

NinaB said...

I love these cookies and your card is gorgeous.

scrappin.bari said...

Such fun lacy cookies with card to match, Virginia! Thanks for the inspiration!

Vicky said...

Those cookies look delicious and your card is gorgeous! My card will show up soon :)
Virginia maybe you should use the same Inlikz code for each Wednesday so you can have all the inspiration in the same place... just a thought :)

Cheryl Nelson said...

Another scrumptious post!! I LOVE the lacy look of both the card and the cookies! YUM!

Kathy Martin said...

This post is highly offensive! I'm drooling on my scrapbook page! Now I'm going to have to get creative and figure out a way to cover that mess up! ;) Kidding! Looks sooooooo yummy V! I want one of those! Make it 10! ;) And your card....just amazing!

Sarah said...

Your card is just STUNNING, Virginia! Word has it the cookies are delicious too! ;)

Kathy (krolski) said...

This card is amazing!! So pretty! Love the way those cookies inspired you and now we get to be inspired too! Thanks my friend!

Ayana Posadas said...

Wow! Virginia, those are the prettiest cookies I've ever seen! And I love your gorgeous card too!

Tiffany said...

Wow! Not only do they look great to eat, but the shape is so lovely! What a wonderful inspiration for your beautiful card! Love it all Virginia!

Brit Swiderski said...

Wow! I just found your blog because of the HA tweet, and I'm so impressed. I love this idea of cookie and a card. I can't play along this week because I'm travelling, but I'll definitely play along sometime soon. Such a cool idea. I love the cards of yours that I have seen. Keep up the amazing, inspiring work!

jintyoo7 said...

Amazing, incredible card Virginia - sp [retty and the coolies - mmmmmmm :o)

Karen B. said...

So pretty and feminine, both the card AND the cookies!

Suzanne C said...

Yummy! Lovely card and perfect from your inspiration. Beautiful pizelles!

Trinh said...

Ooh those cookies look delish! And your card is beautiful - love the doily embossed in white against the kraft.

BabyBokChoy said...

Seriously, the waffles inspired the card or the card inspired the waffles. Both are amazing and stop tempting us with food!! LOL!!!

Karen from MI said...

OH MY GOODNESS! You REALLY outdid yourself with this blog post entry, Virginia! I LOVE IT!! I agree, those little impressions in the waffle DO look like they were STAMPED! How CLEVER YOU ARE! Now, are those the "chewy" kind? They look DELICIOUS and how fun to use that little machine! LOVE you matching card, too! I think that Hero should showcase this blog entry or at least TWITTER you (or is that TWEET) you! I'm going to say that this is AMAZING! I really mean it, Virginia. Your family is SO LUCKY! Thanks for the recipe........maybe some day I'll have one of those fancy machines. Hopefully I'll have the storage space for it, once the reno is completed! :) Thanks again. Love, Karen xo :)

Janetcraft said...

wow..this is stunning...I think fo rthis case you 'bake' the paper card better than the real cookies..haha...but it's wonderful to bake as well..but I am sure you defintely bake better than me Virg! Anyway, take more pictures of turkey meal and share with us..Happy TG day!!

Alice Wertz said...

awww..... these Pizzelle looks so yummy! i may have to try it using our waffle maker... mmm....... thanks for another wonderful cookie inspiration, Virginia! LOVE your elegant card, too. the silver is so pretty! love love love this!! =)

Agata said...

Such an amazing card!!! Love it tons!

alexandra s.m. said...

Oh this is a great post again Virginia!!
My mouth is watering by both your fab Pizelle and your beautiful card!!

Thank you ~

AnitaRex said...

WOW! Look at those cookies! I think it's so great that you bought the press to make them! They look delish! I love your card, love seeing how it's inspired by your cookies!

jaemom said...

Yummy pizzelles! I always associated them with Filipino culture since an old Filipino co-worker used to always make these. haha! But I'm even more in awe of the beautiful card you created as a result of this! WOW! I seriously am very impressed with your cookie/card series. I'm pretty dry on inspiration these days, thanks for sharing! Hugs!

CanadianScraps43 said...

Virginia I just went to a Cookie Swap this Sunday past and what should be one of the cookies, but this lovely waffle cookie that you are posting about today. They are so delicious too. I was just wondering about asking for the recipe and decide to check out your blog today and here you have the answer for me! Cool! I so love your card and I am so inspired bye the challenges that you are doing here. What a great idea. The cards are amazing and the cookies look so yummy. I have been missing you in our group. Hope that you are doing fine and that your family is well. Hugs.

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

YUM! My Itallian grandmother used to make these. She would always let me have a cup of coffee with her and I would break off pieces and dunk them in my coffee! She didn't have a nifty cuisinart iron, but a wroght iron type mold that she would stamp into the thin pastry once she rolled it out.
Thanks for bringing back FABULOUS memories of my childhood and my grandmother! :)

donna mikasa said...

Love your card and the inspo you got from those yummy pizzelles! I remember my mom's co-worker making these with a touch of lemon flavor. Your card is just perfect, Virginia--you are so creative and clever!

Lin said...

LOOOOVE this card! You are on to a great idea here, V, using cookies as your inspiration!

Sue said...

Your card is just beautiful!