Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wednesday's Cookies/Card Series (Week 3)

Now that the temperature has really dropped, are you ready for something sweet and warm? This week's cookies are tea/coffee lovers' delights! They are hugely popular in coffee shops and they make great teachers' gifts! Yes, I'm talking about Biscotti. They are not as hard as you think to make. The trick is that they require to be baked twice, so you do want to make sure that you have plenty of time to go through the process. Here's a collage to give you an idea..
The recipe I used is from Martha Stewart's Cranberry Pistachio Cornmeal Biscotti. I'm showing the last few steps of the process. After kneading the dough into a log, then it's time for the first bake!
This is how it looked after baking for 30 min in 350 F
then the messy part... the log has to be cut (careful, it can be crumbly).But the fun part is to eat up the crumbs as they are almost fully baked.
After baking the cutup Biscottie for another 15 min, that's it!
 So onto the cards...well I mean, tags !  The inspiration derived from the colors and shape of the Biscottie.  I used this snowman image to make tags for the Biscotti packages!
Snowman Tags for Biscottie (2)
 I stamped snowman first, masked the image and then embossed the Modern Line for the background. The snowman's outfits are stamped, distressed, copic-colored and then paper pieced. I love the felt effect on the snowman hats as they add warmth and dimension to the tags! Cotton balls were used as the pom poms (I didn't have any on hand).
Snowman Tags for Biscottie (1)
They look pretty cute with the packages.
I hope that this has inspired you in some ways...
Have a SCRUMPTIOUS day! Here's a COOKIE link for you to get more inspiration!

28 comments:

Karen B. said...

Cute little tags, they remind me of my sister and I when we were little digging our snow tunnels!

Simone said...

Yum I love Biscotti and yours looks amazing!! Those tags are soo cute too :)

Barb said...

Just fabulous, Virginia! Wonderful job at masking and love the modern lines and distressing! So cute and clever! Oh! I can't forget yummy too! :)

Dawn said...

awesome recipe Virginia and your tags are super cute

ivy said...

YUM!! love biscotti with some coffee!

Isha said...

Cute Tags....love hoe your Biscotti turned out...I tried my hand at them once....lol.

Alice Wertz said...

mmmm.... YUM!! thanks for the link to the recipe. you are making me drooling again, girl! LOVE the snowman tags you made, too. especially the masked and embossed background. superb work!

NinaB said...

I used to make biscotti! Thanks for the reminder to make them again. And your tags are so adorable.

Sarah said...

Adorable tags, Virginia! The biscotti looks yummy too!

Kathy said...

Ok my mouth is so watering!! I mentioned you in my blog post. I have to make this recipe and your tags are beautiful1 HUg sista,Kathy

Kathy (krolski) said...

Yum! Looks delish!! I love the tags! The snowman felt hats and the modern lines background make these tags perfect! Your biscotti pics are making my mouth water. :)

Cheryl Nelson said...

wow! how do I get on your gift list?!! So scrumptious and those tags could not be cuter!!!

Lin said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy! LOVE how you packaged these!

Ayana Posadas said...

Delicious!!! And sooo cute!!!
I love this project, Virginia!

Nancy said...

looks so good...I love biscotti with an excellent cup of coffee for dipping! thanks for sharing how you package these up too!
bless you..

Vicky said...

Yummy! Thank you so much for another great recipe Virginia and I love the way you packaged them. So sorry I didn't have the time to play to the 2nd challenge :( I had a cold and high fever so I stayed away from my crafts for days. BUT I'll play to this one !

Karen from MI said...

Hi Virginia!!!! I LOVE your BISCOTTI!!!! They look just like what I'd purchase at a fine pastry shop! You sure are a GREAT BAKER! I can smell/taste them from your FABULOUS photos!! EXCELLENT! Now about your SWEET snowman tags, they are ADORABLE and couldn't have been a better choice to go with your DELICIOUS biscotti. I love how you've packaged them, too. I'd LOVE to try this recipe and hopefully next year I will in my NEW KITCHEN! :) Love, Karen xoxoo

BabyBokChoy said...

Is there no limit to your baking talent as well as all the other talents, making biscotti, my goodness!! Alas, I look at it, I've gained a pound, thank you! LOL!! The packaging looks even better than the biscotti!

alexandra s.m. said...

one word Virginia: YUMMY!
Seriously gorgeous biscotti ( my favorites ) and these tags are fabulous.
You must have spent so much time in them! Wow!!

TFS!!

Vanessa said...

I have to avoid your blog on Wednesdays, you make me go and eat cookies all the time! Yummy biscotti! With pistachii? Yumm! And I love your cute bags!!

Kelly Booth said...

YUM!!! Love your Snowman tags and the biscotti looks delish!!

Kathy Martin said...

Oh V! These look mouthwatering! I love biscotti with my coffee! Oh how I wish I could have one! And the snowman tags are so CUTE...perfect to go with your biscotti! :)

jaemom said...

Thanks for sharing, V! When I saw a larger icon of your sneak peek, I was going to guess biscotti! Looks yummy! Had no idea you have to bake them twice! Cute snowmen to go along, love their fuzzy hats!

Emily Leiphart said...

Mmm, those look scrumptious and the tags are way too cute! Thanks for the inspiration, Virginia! P.S. I love the progress on that mega Lego puzzle.

AnitaRex said...

Hi Virginia! Love this! Hmmmm looks so good I love seeing how you baked it! And such lovely tags you created! Will make a wonderful gift!

donna mikasa said...

You amaze me with your baking skills! Such yummy biscotti and the packaging is so cute! Love those snowman tags! Such a great presentation.

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

OMGosh! That looks DELISH! Thank you for sharing that recipe. What perfectly adorable and yummy little treats to give. :)

Suzanne C said...

Yummy! Love seeing your cookies and the beautiful projects you make to go with them! These little snowmen are adorable!