Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wednesday's Cookies/Card Series (Week 4)

Ready for more Wednesday's cookie/card inspiration? Since I started this series 4 weeks ago, I have received overwhelmingly positive responses (from family--yup, somebody HAS to do their share of work!) and your sweet sweet comments. I actually look forward to doing this ongoing project now as I find myself daydreaming about cookies and cards....Without further ado, we are onto this week's cookies called Milk Chocolate Fudge Crackles. There are many versions of these simple yet so striking-looking  chocolate cookies. Martha Stewarts' version is here.Some people also call these types of cookies as Chocolate Crinkles.  I used this recipe that came through the fliers in the mail and I am really happy with the yummy results.  I tried Martha's version before, but I thought this one is actually the best kind I made so far.

Milk Chocolate Fudge Crackles.
1/4 cup Crisco all-vegetable shortening ( all butter is also fine, I used half butter, half shortening)
1 cup semi-sweet Chocolate chips
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup Eagle Brand regular/low fat  Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
3/4 cup icing sugar

1. preheat oven to 325 F(160C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (not a must...I skipped this step, as long as you greased the pans)
2. In glass bowl in microwave, melt shortening and semi-sweet chocolate chips on Medium (50%). Add sugar and then eggs one at a time, sirring well after each addition. Let cool 5 min. ( I melt mine in a stainless bowl over boiling water in a pot and it works really well also).
3. Mix in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Then add flour, baking powder, salt, milk chocolate chips. Mix well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours up to 8 hours.
4. Between palm of hands, roll pieces of chilled dough to form 1 1/4" (3cm) balls. Drop balls into icing sugar and toss lightly until well coated. Repeat with the remaining dough and icing sugar, spacing 1 1/2 " apart on baking sheet. 
5. Bake each sheet in preheated oven for 11-13 min. or until just beginning to feel firm when pressed in center. Let cool in baking sheet on wire racks for 5 min. Transfer crackles to wire racks to cool completely.
Steps (starting from left corner, clockwise)
So....for the card, I drew the inspiration from the colors--white, brown and gold (from the plate). This is such a great color combo. Very sophisticated, I find. I made THREE cards with this inspiration. I used this floating Garden stamp.
Thinking of You
Thinking of You
You Make Me Smile
You Make Me Smile
Hello
Hello
I hope you enjoy this post as much as I do in creating these yummy cookies and cards! More photos from my DD Stephanie. I LOVE how my cookies look in her photos...just had to share!
Have a SCRUMPTIOUS day!

21 comments:

Karen B. said...

Now those sound yummy and those photographs make them even more tempting! I saw a link here to this series somewhere, but I can't remember where, so I know its popular-and very well done! Your cards are gorgeous, love the color combination and the touch of elegance with the gold.

Dawn said...

Wow wee Virginia. Love the look of this one.... I might just have to try it. The cards turned out awesome too. I think I'll have to case them as well!!!!!

Barb said...

I have to agree with Dawn! I may have to case the designs of these amazing cards! I love them both, Virginia! So inspiring! Amazing how your embossed circles look just like the yummy cookies!

Simone said...

Oh Wow wow wow!!! These cards are sooo amazing Virginia!! You are one very talented crafter and baker! The cookies look sooo yummy!

Ayana Posadas said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
I love all of your cards and that elegant color scheme. And those cookies look so delicious!

Lin said...

Yummy cookies and beautiful cards! You were inspired making 3 of them! Well done, my friend!

Andi (RrlScrapGal) said...

OH! I love todays' cookie share and your gorgeous cards!!! ON my cooking list!!

Cheryl Nelson said...

Oh yummy, yum, YUM!! Chocolate heaven with both the cookies and your gorgeous cards!

Karen from MI said...

WOW! Virginia , your cookies look AMAZING and DELICIOUS!! Love how you've stacked them "mile high" for the photo shoot! :) I just can't believe that this is week 4, ALREADY!!! Now about your cards........I'm in LOVE with each one of them! You've got great designs and the colors look so RICH and also ELEGANT!! You sure do a nice job at everything you do!! Thanks for sharing and also INSPIRING ME! One day, let's craft together and you can share all of your secrets!! :) Love, Karen xoxoxoox

NinaB said...

What beautiful cards, Virginia, and those cookies look yummy! I was just on the Color Room site and saw that it's your birthday today. Happy birthday! I hope it's the best one yet.

AnitaRex said...

Those cookies look SO GOOD! My goodness I think I am going to try to make them! What lovely cards, I love the colors you used and designs too! :> When you bite into the cookies do they goo?

Isha said...

Well its so difficult to say which is yummier....your cards or the cookies. TFS Virginia....love love love these Cards.

scrappin.bari said...

I'm loving all your cookies, Virginia! You are so much further ahead than I am with both the cookie and the card making!

Nancy said...

Those are my favorite cookies...I found my recipe for them in Betty Crocker's Cooky Book from 1963. Your cookies look so yummy and your cards are gorgeous too! I'm afraid those cookies inspire me to do something other than make cards though; I'm looking for the recipe!
blessings to you, Virginia!

Kathy Martin said...

YUMMY! Oh how I want one of those cookies! It's just about 9:00 p.m. and I'm heading off to read in a few minutes and would love one of those sweet treats for a bedtime snack! ;)

Alice Wertz said...

drooling big time here.... =) these look super yummy... mmm.... and girl! your cards are gorgeous! love where you drew the inspiration and how you executed it. just beautiful! love them all! and yes, your cookies look amazing in Stephanie's photos! thanks for the yummy post! =)

Kathy (krolski) said...

You've really knocked it out of the park with these cards! They are gorgeous! Love the idea of using just parts of that stamp...perfect! Also, please send me a batch of these cookies in the mail because after viewing these pics, I'm starving for them! hahaahaaa...great pics! Thanks for the recipe!

Donna said...

Should have ate breakfast before coming on the computer, now I want cookies for breakfast!! They sure look yummy, will have to give them a try!!
Thanks Virginia, and Hope you have a very Happy Birthday!!
Love and hugs
Donna

donna mikasa said...

OH, my word! I didn't think you could create a card based on your fudge crackled cookies, but you did it!! Awesome, Virginia! Totally awesome!!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

YUM! They look scrumdiddleyumptious!
I think I should visit you Canada so that you can bake for me every week! :)
I would come back to the states very "fluffy", I'm afraid! LOL!

Your cards are simply gorgoeus, Virginia! :)

Tiffany said...

This is absolutely gorgeous inspiration you took from the cookies! Love the touch of chocolate and gold, very elegant! Beautiful work!