Monday, January 3, 2011

One Layer cards!

It's a new year!! We start the year with a clean slate. I can use a white piece of paper as the metaphor...so you get the idea! I like to reflect that sense of cleanliness on my cards. These cards were made for the One Layer Wednesday Challenge (see boot camp). The challenge is to make a card using ONLY ONE image stamp and a maximum of two ink colours. You may use the same image repeatedly, but you may only use the one image. You may also use one sentiment stamp if you choose. Oh, and no embellishments! So with that in mind, I came up with a CAS design. In fact, Once you have the idea, it's so easy to make more. So I ended up making 3!
one layer cards
Here's the close-up for each one

To keep the card simple yet not overly boring, I paper-pieced holes underneath the scored line
I really enjoy doing these "exercises". I always love layers in cards, but one layer card is just so fun to create. It really forces me to focus more on the overall design.
In 2011, I hope to challenge myself more and hopefully I will create cards with more depths and thoughts.
Have a GREAT week ahead!

27 comments:

Barb said...

Virginia, I love these sweet, simple cards! I should be challenging myself to do the one layer ones every so often. It's not always easy to just use one stamp with no embellishments. Thank you for sharing!

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

A wonderful trio of cards! Such a great idea - love the movement you have created with the words.

Karina Beck said...

Gorgeous Design!

donna mikasa said...

Sweet and simple cards! Love the curved sentiments and wonderful colors, too! Brilliant, Virginia--absolutely brilliant!

Heather Maria said...

Oh Virginia, these are brilliant one layer cards and that's such a hard challenge (no embellishment, no layers, yikes)! Love the way you have added the sentiments and the paper piercing is the perfect touch!

Karen B. said...

LOVE your olc!

Sherri Thompson said...

Virginia, these cards are perfect! You are so talented and creative-I love your blog! :)

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

FABULOUS OLCs, Virginia! LOVE them! :)

Brenda said...

I love it! It just shows that life can be simple and beautiful at the same time!

Kathy (krolski) said...

Your CAS card is just perfect! Love your creative ideas Virginia! Happy New Year!

Ann said...

Fabulous CAS designs! Love them all!

Debgem said...

These are brilliant!! Love the set; they all work so well.

AnitaRex said...

What a great set of cards, good idea to make a few! A hard challenge that you beat! I like how you did the words must have taken a bit!

alexandra s.m. said...

Genius! simple and effective!

Vicky said...

Love them all! You rocked this challenge!!
For me the most challenging thing is to make one layer cards! I can't seem to stay away from pp and 3d foam adhesive LOL! and I am not sure I have ever made one layer card actually!!!

Jacqueline said...

Love to see how you are challenging your artistic skills Virginia! A very Happy New Year to you and your family!

Cheryl Nelson said...

These are fabulous! LOVE them! Fabulous stamping!

Anni said...

These cards are so gorgeous! Fabulous!
Was für einfaches und doch wunderschönes Design!

Tiffany said...

Oh Virginia!! These bike cards are so darling, the tickle me with happiness, fun and bright colors you've worked with!

BabyBokChoy said...

These are seriously too good!!! love the clean lines! beautiful!

ivy said...

fun cards! it's hard to do 1 layer!

Nancy said...

Wow...who knew simple could be this spectacular?! Love these cards, Virginia...they are just perfect. You mastered this challenge beautifully...
blessings!

Suzanne C said...

Fabulous! Love the idea of the words flowing back over the handles of the bannana bike. Yes I had a bike like that growing up! Very uncomfortable. LOL!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Sooooo cute. Love the design. :)

Simone said...

Virginia these are so cute! Very gorgeous one layer cards which you do to perfection! Love the design of these :)

Alice Wertz said...

simply fabulous! wow! i think one layer cards are difficult and yours are so fun and pretty! love how you used the sentiment, too. love these, V!

Jennifer said...

Eek! How did I miss commenting on these fab cards?

They are fun, colourful, energetic and awesome all rolled into one!

Great job on the challenge and thanks for playing along with OLW34!