Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Shimmering Effect

Sometimes a challenge will give you the push to try new things or remind you that you haven't used a certain product on your shelf for a while. In this case, it was my spray mist that has not been in use. I received Cosmic shimmer Mist from my dear Hero Arts sista Cathy  during my meet with her in London last May. Here is a comparison of the Cosmic Shimmer Mist and Tattered Angel Glimmer Mist. I've never used Tattered Angel, but I LOVE the glossy high sheen from Cosmic Shimmer. The Create Blog's challenge (see here) prompted me to get mine out and so I  sprayed Cosmic Shimmer Mist onto regular card stock, super heavy card stock, and glossy paper. The heavy card stock worked the best due to the water content from the mist.
I'm entering the Valentine's Day card for Papercraft January Challenge and both cards for the Wee Memories Challenge (#40 Anything Goes)
hugs & kisses
For the square in the center, I applied masking tape around the edges, spray the gold mist and then distressed the edges. I applied the SRM Sticker as it looks perfect for this fun design.
While I was at it, I made another.
hello
Do  you love that button? I do!
I stumbled into the biggest local sewing store in my area a few days ago, I fell in love with the buttons there and couldn't stopped picking up a few...
I ended up spending $15 buying 30 buttons! My DH could not believe that the buttons cost SO much. But I told him that these are SPECIAL kind of buttons! I'm sure you'd agree that it's worth every penny!

31 comments:

Ann said...

Wowza, these are both awesome! Thanks for playing with us Wee Memories girls this week!

AnitaRex said...

I agree those buttons are beautiful! the sewing shop around here does not have good buttons at all! Worth the money! Love these cards! Your second one is my favorite, I love that gold shimmer. You should play some more with it!

Nancy said...

Hi Virginia...loving your inky techniques and the gorgeous details on these beautiful cards...really lovely work.
blessings!

alexandra s.m. said...

Thank you for these two wonderful cards!
They're so well thought out and I too love that technique ;-)

Barb said...

Love the shimmer on both cards, Virginia! Your heart is so pretty and the dandelion looks awesome in the masked circle!

Alice Wertz said...

love all the masking you did on both cards. so pretty and beautifully designed. fab cards, Virginia!

Dawn said...

Wonderful Virginia. I don't use mists much... I have mainly home made ones which I usually mist over distress inks. These look stunning. I particularly like your second card. Very stunning.

Karen B. said...

Oh my, that dandelion card takes my breath away. I'm seriously going to have to case it if you don't mind, giving credit where credit is due of course!

de said...

These are beautiful Virginia! Love the shimmery-ness! :-)

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

I just love the shimmer you have added to your gorgeous cards, Virginia! Love them both! :)

Lin said...

Oh, Virginia, look how you are evolving! So proud of you! LOVE both these cards - the shimmer is lovely!

Cheryl Nelson said...

Such gorgeous creations!! WOW!

Julie said...

Beautiful cards, Virginia! I love that button! Sometimes husbands don't understand! :)

BabyBokChoy said...

These really are beautiful!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Love the misting and the distressing. Fab design. :)

Vicky said...

Love your creativity and the way you can master every technique!

Elizabeth Allan said...

Virginia you really used this technique in a variety of ways. Your cards are beautiful.

Clare said...

I really like your first card, but I am in LOVE with the second! The masking is FABULOUS! Oh, and the buttons - totally worth it. ;)

Kathy Martin said...

These are so sweet! Love the staples on the first and the ribbon/button on the second! :)

lynzw21 said...

Love your spray mist cards Virginia! I will have to practice with mine a bit more to get the light coverage you did, mine kept getting uneven spots of colour- hence the blotting with the paper towel to get the marble effect lol!

Buttons are fun aren't they!! That one is really cool, love it!

Simone said...

Wow! LOVE the shimmer effect on these cards! They are absolutely stunning Virginia! Thanks for playing along at Wee Memories :)

Kelly Booth said...

LOVE LOVE these v....so Pretty!!!!

Emily Leiphart said...

Ohhh, I've never used glimmer mist of any kind and these look wonderful! I love that subtle shimmer. I especially love the way you stapled the ribbon on the first card and masked off the centre of the dandelion on the second. Your button story is hilarious! You are right though, it's worth every penny. ;D

Laurel said...

Fabulous creations!
Thanks so much for playing at Wee Memories.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Oh these are great... Love the kraft base.

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful heart popped on the square. LOVE the glimmer mist background with the masked circle.

Jinny Newlin said...

Absolutely beautiful, Virginia... every last detail, right down to the button ;)! Thanks so much for playing along with us in the Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge!

Tiffany said...

Loving your use of the shimmering mists Virginia! I don't use them too much but am now inspired to play with them a little more! I guess I just hate mess, LOL!

Michellem said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that hello card - those buttons were worth every penny!!

Cristina said...

I LOVE that second card! I'm not one for shimmer mists, but you may have made me a convert. Really beautiful. (I saw your card on the CARDS blog...)

LuluMarie said...

OMG it's brilliant! I love love the staples! My stapler shall now become my new best friend. thank u much for the inspiration.