Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cards with Washi Tapes

Japanese Washi Tapes have always been intriguing to me! Last summer my DD Stephanie came home from Singapore from her summer study, her souvenir for me were some gorgeous washi tapes! They are really the best little crafting supplies! So pliable and very forgiving! When I tape it crooked, these come right off and you can basically start all over again. And the SRM Stickers are just about the same!
I was prompted by the CREATE Blog and had to try to make some cards with washi tapes. I came up with two cards. I used Penny Black for the Eiffel Tower and Donna's amazing hand-dyed ribbons that she sent me( thanks, sweet Donna!). I am also entering these two cards for the Moxie Fab (Get Daring with Decorative Tape Challenge)
follow your heart
I pleated the brown washi tapes and made it into a little border. I also used the lacy washi tape for the corners.
close up
The background is stamped with Hero Arts Musical background. Add the ribbons, gold heart and add the SRM sticker (follow your heart). Next is a simple card made without any stamps ( I know, hard to believe!).
Happy Birthday to you
This card took me about half an hour from start to finish. The "present" is a piece of chip board from previous projects. Here I also used two types of Washi tape.
HB (close-up)
All sentiments are from the SRM Stickers.
Edited note: The 2nd card (Happy Birthday) was featured in CREATE Blog. Thanks for stopping by!

28 comments:

Yenni Natalia said...

So pretty...good luck for the challenge..i still dont have any idea and the time is running out :P

Simone said...

These cards are sooo pretty Virginia! Love how you used the Washi tape - so creative. :)

Barb said...

Fun cards, V! Love the way you pleated the tape! Been thinkin' aboutcha all week. . .only two more days until you meet Lin! Can't wait to hear all about it from both of you! Hugs!

Dawn said...

lovely use of the washi tape Virginia. I like the pleating.

Marie-Anne said...

What a great idea. I've got some Washi tape myself, but haven't used it jet, because the ideas I had didn't work out. Going to keep your ideas in mind and hope they will help me with getting an idea for using my tape.

Marie-Anne

CinnamonSally said...

Great cards Virginia, love the pleating such a great effect!!

ruth_spolton said...

Adorable cards Virginia! Washi tape is so addictive ;)

joy said...

Love these cards, Virginia! The washi tape is so cool!

Sarah said...

Fabulous cards, Virginia! I have a few rolls too and have yet to use them. You've inspired me!

Deirdre said...

So beautiful - love what you created.

Lin said...

I really love the second one, using pale blue and that chocolate brown tape! Fun!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Beautiful cards, Virginia! Love the deep brown with the Eiffel Tower image. :)

Cheryl Nelson said...

Fantabulous creations with the tapes!!

Emily Leiphart said...

These are beautiful, Virginia! It's funny how we both used washi tape to make Eiffel Tower cards!

Brenda said...

Absolutely beautiful Virginia! I have never even seen Washi Tape in real life but I love what everyone does with it! I just love that first card, of course, I am French! Just love your work Virginia, you are so inspiring!

Elizabeth Allan said...

Virginia this washi tape looks addictive. Love your use of the tapes. Your cards are so pretty.

Kathy (krolski) said...

Love how you used the washi tape! Both cards are beautiful!

Karen B. said...

Oh my these are gorgeous!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful uses of washi tape! Super cute present! And love your eiffel tower and pleated tape!

Tammy said...

OMG Virginia! I love that first card--it has a vintage feel, but not like the overdone vintage with so many layers that I'm typically not drawn to. I'm drawn to this!! Thanks for explaining Washi tape--I saw that on the CREATE blog, and just never got around to looking it up. I figured if I didn't have any, I wouldn't have the time to go out and get any in time for the challenge.

BabyBokChoy said...

extremely cute!!!

alexandra s.m. said...

So creative Virginia! Love them!!

Tiffany said...

Delightful colors on both of these cards Virginia! The first one has such amazing shine and glow!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

Another feature--and you are on VACA! LOVE IT:) You rock even when not crafting! LOVE LOVE LOVE you!

donna mikasa said...

Wow, Virginia...your talent never ends!! Love what you did with the washi tape! You are just amazing! The pleating is awesome and then to use it as photo corners?? Genius!! I am bowing to you........

Alice Wertz said...

your first card is so very elegant. love the pretty vintage look and the pleated border. and the second card is oh so fun! very clever, too! such different styles, but both fabulous! love them!

Cath said...

Hey Virginia! Thanks for entering the Get Daring with Decorative Tape challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

sideoats + scribbles said...

Wowzers, love these, Virginia! I am addicted to washi tape, I just ordered that one with the bows on it a few days ago -- can't wait until it gets here!