Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Two One-Layer Cards

I have been trying out more one-layer cards and find that it helps me think MORE on the design elements of a card. This time Jennifer at One Layer Wednesday # 40 challenged us to use two (and ONLY two) image stamps on your card. That’s right, just two. And no sentiment. You may not use each stamp more than once.You may also use the following AND ONLY the following: heat embossing and/or markers to colour your stamped images.  (edited note: I think I didn't get this rule right....oooops!!) I had to put my thinking cap on and came up with TWO cards with different style and takes.

The first one is about using unusual combination--Hero Arts Buttons and Speckled Ornament. As you can see that you normally will not put the two together, but they "work"....I think.
DSC_00065694
And for the 2nd card, I also used Buttons and paired it up with my new HA stamp International Skyline. I embossed the image in white and stamped the heart button over and then I paper-pieced the holes and then stringed  them up with a fine black pen (which I had done in previous cards--I should have tried something different here...oh well, next time!)
DSC_00075695
It's so neat to try a new and different exercise that makes you think. What stamps will you choose if you have only two stamps to use (and NO sentiment)? I wonder :)

24 comments:

Arlene said...

Wonderful work with only two stamps.

susanne said...

Very nice! :)

donna mikasa said...

Brilliant creations, Virginia! Both cards express so much with minimal stamping. I especially love the skyline card and the stitched hearts...Love!!

Dawn said...

wow Virginia. Love both of these cards ~ especially the first one.

alexandra s.m. said...

Love these Virginia!!
Simply perfect!!

Suzanne C said...

LOVELY cards. YIKES I couldn't do this.. You know me and my over embellishing stamping etc... Unless I used one of my big stamps. LOL!

de said...

Gorgeous Virginia! Love these CAS cards!

joy said...

Your two stamp - one layer cards intrigue me. It looks easy; but I think it would be so difficult for me. Great job, Virginia - I love the skyline in white on kraft!

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Virginia, these cards are great.

Isha said...

Virginia you Rock!! Love love them...I got your lovely card. Thank you so much.

Barb said...

You make it look so easy, Virginia! Beautiful pairing of stamps! Love the hearts over Toronto's CN Tower! So clever!

Cheryl Nelson said...

These are just GORGEOUS!!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Gorgeous! Love the skyline card. Very artistic. :)

lynzw21 said...

Two great cards Virginia! That does sound like a good challenge to stretch creativity- may have to check it out :)

Love your comment on my blog lol!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Oh, Virginia! What fabulous OLCs! I think the second one is my favorite! Love how you stitched through the hearts and I love the kraft base!
Hugs! :)

Clare said...

Ack! These are so FABULOUS!! AMAZE-ing one layer cards! I am simply in awe of the skyline card - it looks so neat! I love the embossing and the hearts over your Canadian landmark! My parents actually went there, but I haven't had the opportunity (yet!). :)

BabyBokChoy said...

These are so beautiful and really, the only practical cards in this world, lol. brilliantly done!

Karen B. said...

oh goodness, that second card? i love it! love the graphic nature of it, the colors, everything!

Nancy said...

Beautiful cards...love the creativity! the first card has a Pennsylvania Dutch look to it, wonderful vintage style!

Emily Leiphart said...

Look at you doing one-layer cards! Isn't it so much fun? The way you put the hearts above the CN Tower is genius!!

Elizabeth Allan said...

Virginia - beautiful designs. Simply wonderful.

Simone said...

Wow! Virginia you are one very talented card maker! love both of these cards and the hears over the CN Tower are such a cute idea! :)

Alice Wertz said...

fabulous one layer cards, Virginia! love your designs. wow! don't think i can do this. love love yours!!

CanadianScraps43 said...

Love the simplicty of these cards. Just so lovely.