Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Apple Crisp

We all need some other kind of creative outlets in life. Card-making is always my no. 1, but the other passions I have, most of you know, are food and music! Today I'm sharing some cello music performed by my son  David (see here ). You can listen to the tune while you browse through the making of the Apple Crisp. I made the post for Savannah whom I met this February (see here). She disclosed that she is trying to come up with a healthy and easy dessert...well, I quickly offered her my no-fail Apple Crisp. So this is for you, Savannah!
I made the mixtures first and then added  the apples
Ingredients for apple part (8x8 or 9x9 square pan is required)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
8 apples, 4 tart and 4 sweet ( I used IDA apples and Red Delicious)
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Topping
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar, light or dark
1/4 cup walnuts or pecans or almonds ( I left them out this time)
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Directions
1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Position a rack in the center of the oven.
2.To prepare the fruit, place the lemon juice in a large bowl. Peel, core, and cut the apples into 1/2-inch wedges, tossing the pieces in the lemon juice as they are cut, to prevent browning.
(I use the apple slicing machine which really helps.)
3.To the apples, add the granulated sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Toss to combine and pour into a buttered 8 x 8 square or oval baking pan. Scatter the butter on top.
4.Make the topping in the same bowl. Combine the oats, brown sugar,flour, salt, and optional spices. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender, a fork, or two knives.
Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit and bake on the center rack for 40 to 45 minutes, until the topping is dark golden and the apples are bubbling.
~BEFORE baking~
~AFTER baking~
Cool slightly on a wire cooling rack. Scoop out with a large spoon to serve in bowls.
Hope you enjoy this treat for any time of the year. It's the 1st dessert that I learn to make when I started cooking! I love it then, I love it now.

19 comments:

Dawn said...

totally awesome crumble Virginia. I so love Apple Crumble so your Apple Crisp will get an outing at my place soon. Your son is so talented with his Cello playing. Just wonderful.

Marie-Anne said...

It looks delisious.

Marie-Anne

NinaB said...

That is one of my favorite desserts, except I put crushed graham crackers instead of nuts (my youngest is allergic to them). And I love my apple slicer, too. I heard there's an electronic one since my old one is falling apart.

Barb said...

David plays so beautifully! Love listening to that! And oh, boy, does your Apple Crisp ever look yummy! Thanks for sharing, V! :)

Cheryl Nelson said...

DE*LISH!!!!!!

Stephanie said...

Another reason to come home...I miss your apple crisp.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

MMMMMMM! I can smell it from here! LOVE LOVE LOVE the visuals and how you make it look easy! Must get some of those baking tools--the apple thing and that wire thing (and possibly a pan! LOL--just kidding, I have a baking dish!). I'm printing this off and heading to the store! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I will let you know how mine taste. :} LOVE you!! You are amazing, Virginia!!

ps...tell David that I enjoyed listening to him play while reading and drooling over your treat! Such a talented family! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!

sheila said...

apple crisp....this looks amazing.....have that tool and will so try this. do you ever use sugar substitute or no added sugar when baking this? just wondering how it turns out then.

Kathy Martin said...

Oh boy! I have to try this! I LOVE to bake and cook for my boys...from scratch is always so much better! I will give this a go my friend! Thank you! :)

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Yummmmmmm! I haven't had a good apple crisp in several months. It sounds good with the crazy cold weather we are having...in April, no less! Thanks for sharing, Virginia!

Eve said...

mmmmm... looks very yummy! :-)You know, I LUV TO EAT, too !:-)

alexandra s.m. said...

Yummy! I bet you are a wonderful cook!!
Thanks for sharing ~

BabyBokChoy said...

Please send me a pan!!!

Emily Leiphart said...

I just had to laugh at JJ's comment. It would be easier for you to send me a pan than her. LOL I love apple crisp, too, and love making a peach version of this! Thanks for linking David's performance. He plays with such emotion! I loved it.

ivy said...

Y. U. M.

:)

Elizabeth Allan said...

Thanks for sharing Virginia. This looks delicious. You have a beautiful kitchen too!

Anette H said...

oh, I'd love to try this one out, it looks totally yummy! I'll have to "translate" the recipie, as to the measurements though! LOL!

Alice Wertz said...

mmm..... i am (ok, we) are sooooo going to try this!!! love a quick desert! thanks for the recipe, V!!! you are so sweet! =)

Donna said...

Boy does this sound yummy, goint to have to give it a try as I love apple crisp with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!!
Thanks
Virginia