Thursday, May 19, 2011

Did you know....

This is my 2nd time featuring "Did You Know...". Instead of featuring me and my family like last time  (see here), this one is stamp -related!  So...
Did you know that you can make a flower from a Snail? (huh?)
snail stamp for flower center
 This was one of those happy finding when you really "study" a new stamp. When I chose my winning prize from Hero Arts March Challenge (yup, lucky me), I was craving for some cute stamps.


When I receive my snail stamp which I chose, my DD Stephanie remarked: " Why!? A snail stamp? What would you do with it? ". I said :" Well, somehow this stamp speaks to me...."  I know, I know... I sounded so kooky to her!  And guess what!? There IS some extra potential from this little stamp. Instead of cutting circles from scratch, I can follow the exact lines from the body of the snail stamp and turn it into a little flower!! Eureka! 
love you Mom
After I stamped the Envelope background (a must-have!) and flowers, leaves...I felt that the card seems so FLAT! That's when I decided to make a little flower center with the snail stamp's help and then I added the paper raffia and thin strips of paper. I curled up the paper strips with a tooth pick (the little unsung hero on my craft desk). Then I add the pearls. So I'm entering this card for the Papercraft May Challenge (see Mother's Day card).
I will most definitely send this card to my Mom in Taiwan. It's been a year since my father passed away, I know I should tell my mom even more...how much I love her and miss her.

29 comments:

walchowDesign said...

Lovely card indeed and the snail is a beauty, Virginia! Your mum will be so happy to receive this beauty!

Isha said...

You amaze me Virginia, with your out of the box thinking and...I just love it. I feel so happy after visiting your blog and keep waiting for the next post. TFS

Dawn said...

I am amazed at your innovative ideas Virginia.... would never have thought to do this....

Elizabeth Allan said...

Very, very clever Virginia. Lovely card!

Sarah said...

Brilliant!

~Patty~ said...

how neat and pretty !!!!

Cathy A said...

Such a clever idea Virginia, i think it is the only time I would be happy to see a snail on the flower

Kathy (krolski) said...

Very clever and creative! Awesome card Virginia!

Vicky said...

Ha! no wonder I keep commenting that you are so creative!!! There you go again!

Anette said...

Totally beautiful card, Virginia! And what a genious idea to use the snail to make a flower, you are sooo clever, my friend!

Emily Leiphart said...

You know, I've been looking at that snail stamp for a while now. I really love how you turned the shell into a flower! This card is gorgeous and your mom will certainly love and appreciate it!

Berenice R. said...

Gorgeous card! Thanks for sharing :)

Angi @ CokiePop said...

Wow...so crafty clever Virginia. Love how you changed the snail into a flower. :)

Lin said...

Love your flowers, Virginia, and leave it to you to make a snail into one of them!! Good thinking!

Karin (Peppermintpatty) said...

Your flowers are awesome! and I think I'm falling for that snail - super sweet - ( Great choice!!!)
/Karin

Chris and Paige Evans said...

No way this is wicked cool! Thanks for sharing!!

Eve said...

great idea Virginia, and luv the flowers you actually made!! and of course, the card! :-) I bet your mom will luv it! :-)

pcm said...

so very clever!!!!

Clare said...

This is so pretty! I love how delicate it is! And the snail?! I didn't even know HA had that!! I'm so getting it - and trying out your technique!

Jocelyn said...

Brilliant, Virginia! I love seeing stamps in unconventional ways. The card is simply beautiful--the colors, the layout, the envelope background.

Congrats on your featured card on the Create blog! Yeah!

alexandra s.m. said...

You are WAY too clever my Friend!
Love it!! Brillant!!

xox

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

I have that stamp and let's just say I've never thought of making it into a flower... wow.

donna mikasa said...

Oh, you are sooooo clever! So creative! I have to smile when you won a "cute" stamp and made such an elegant card with it! I'll be looking at my stamps in a whole new light!

Tina said...

I love your idea and the card is gorgeous!!!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE--you are so clever. I wanna be like you--so thoughtful and creative!! You are my HERO!!!!!!!!

Brenda said...

Very clever Virginia! And I adore that cutie stamp!

Alice Wertz said...

this is so fun! fabulous idea, V!! love love it! thanks for sharing!

Tiffany said...

Super creative Virginia! Love your always, out-of-the-box thinking! I would generally have never bought that stamp, but it is a cutie!

BabyBokChoy said...

This is so so so gorgeous.