Wednesday, May 25, 2011

FIRST publication!!...and rejects!


Well, I thought this day will not come for a long while...but here I am , sharing some happy news!
Over 2400 submissions to the Paper Crafts Magazine Card-A-Day call! 366 were chosen (2012 is a leap year)! And guess what!? My card got lucky and made itself to the 366th one!!!

I submitted 4 cards for the last Papercraft " A Card A Day--2012" submission call and one of them got picked (!!!) ! When I got the happy e-mail from editor Susan Opel last Friday , I jumped UP from my chair and shouted "YAY"!! My DD Stephanie thought I had gone MAD (LOL). Well, she was almost right..but the excitement was just too much to bear!
Obviously I can't share the card  that will be out in the publication on November 8, 2011 (can't wait!). But I thought I'd share the ones that didn't make it. I would have submitted more cards, but the writing of the instructions and supplies almost killed me turn me off (grrrr..)! I am terrible with reading/writing instructions (just ask my family) ! Need to work on that....

 I'm joining Dr. Amber's blog hop for this submission rejects (see here). You may want to check them out!! Here are my 3 "rejects"... simple stamped card with faith sentiments "God Bless You" (from SRM Stickers).
God Bless You
"Praise the Lord"
Praise the Lord
And lastly, it's this pink card that I made...it was so last minute! I used the Envelop stamp for the background and solid flower for the design. Then I colored the center of the flowers with bright pink Marvey markers. Add the Glossy Accent, sentiment and gems and paper-piece holes around it--Voila!
Birthday Greetings
As a newbie for card submissions, I have lots to learn.  There are over 800 cards in my Flickr photo stream since the  fall of 2008. It took me a lot of practice to get  to this point. Yes, I am really S.--L.--O.--W....If you make LESS than 800 cards and get published, then you are a natural and a genius!! But if you have made 800 cards and just start submitting....I wish you all the luck as it IS totally doable

EDITED note: HERE is the interview of the creative editor Susan Opel with Little Light Studio. Susan gives tips as to how to get published!!  
 HERE is what NOT to do when submitting cards--a FUN read :)

When I got back to stamping (after the kiddies need less of me), I was merely having fun with my long lost hobby. Having a card in the Paper Craft publication is just something that I would have never dreamed of. I often tell  my kids: "Just keep trying...if you don't, you'll never know what will come along...." So true! And last but not least, thank you, for your tireless support and sweet comments.
 You make me want to be a better stamper/card-maker :)

48 comments:

donna mikasa said...

Congratulations on being published, Virginia! I LOVE your "rejects" and I can't wait till your card is shown! Your work is always so inspiring--YOU make me want to be a better cardmaker!

Barb said...

I can't even tell you how happy I am for you! This is such exciting news, Virginia! Yay!!! Your "rejects" are beautiful so I can't WAIT to see the one that was accepted! Big huge hugs and congratulations!! I'm smilin' big for you tonight! :)

Chunyuan said...

Congratulations! Your "rejects" are beautifule. Can't wait to see your card on the magazine. Your experience is a great inspiration and encourgment to me as a newbie.

Dawn said...

So excited for you Virginia. If these are "rejects" your accept card must be a stunner... I think these are awesome. Well done

ivy said...

congrats virginia!! cannot wait to see your card! your rejects are lovely too!
i will submit one day---i am just too lazy. i need to fine-tune a lot of my skills first!

Isha said...

Congrats Virginia. I am so happy for you...wish you luck always. I am so lucky to have known you, learn from you. Pls. share the card when the mag. is published. Love your rejects...I am sure you must be waiting to get your hands on the magazine. Its so exciting.
Hoping to see more n more of your inspiring creations.

Anni said...

Congratulation, Virginia! I´m so happy for you! Das sind tolle Neuigkeiten!
Grüße, Anni

Rachel Izakowicz said...

Congratulations on being published - what an honor!! And beautiful reject cards too. Love that last one - stunning!

Vicky said...

Congrats Virginia for the first published card! You made a start, more publications will come now!
So proud of you, your totally deserve it!!!

Deirdre said...

Yay, yay, yay... delighted for you. Totally deserved.

Yvette said...

Congratulations on being published, Virginia! Your "rejects" cards are beautiful!

Karen B. said...

Congratulations, my friend!

Lin said...

So proud of you, my friend! You set such a good example for the rest of us!! BIG HUGS!!

diana said...

Congratulations on being published, Virginia! Thanks for sharing both your creativity on your blog and, most of all, your wonderful enthusiasm!

Eve said...

Congratulations, Virginia! What a great news!! I'm really happy for you! ...and why they rejected other cards?? They are beautiful too! I'm looking forward to see your WINNING card! :-)

Cheryl Nelson said...

Congrats on the pub Virginia!! Your "rejects" are so stunning! I can't wait to see the winning one!

Berenice R. said...

Congratulations on being published, Virginia! All your cards are gorgeous! :)

Elizabeth Allan said...

Congratulations Virginia!!

Kathy (krolski) said...

Congratulations on being published, Virginia! So very happy for you! I can't wait to see your published card!
These cards are beautiful!

Tiffany said...

I'm so very happy for you, girlie! Whooo, now go and celebrate! Well deserved!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

WOO HOO! Big Congrats to ya my friend! Can't wait to see your fabby creation. :)

Cathy A said...

Congrats Sista, if these didn't make it I can't wait to see what did, Imthink these are lovely.

Cathy A said...

Congrats Sista, if these didn't make it I can't wait to see what did, Imthink these are lovely.

Sharon D from Canada said...

YAY!!!! BIG congrats on your pub, Virginia!!!! And congrats on the sweet HA tweet, too!

Debstamps said...

Yee Haw Virginia! Soooo happy for you! And this is a pretty terrific 'reject' gallery too!

Agata said...

Congrats Virginia!!! I'm so happy for you! Yes, if you don't try, you'll never get in! :))) Looking forward to seeing your card (none of mine did it there...)!!!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Big congrats, Virginia - you are soooo talented and I'm happy you are recognized. Love the rejects too and I'll bet they get published someday too :)

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Congrats!! Love the "rejects"!!

Trinh said...

Your "rejects" are awesome so I can imagine how fab the published one will be! I hated writing instructions at first too but it does get easier as you do it more. Practice pays! Congrats and SO happy for you, Virginia!

Donna B. said...

Congrats on your first publication! Isn't it such a great feeling to get that e-mail? Just keep all your supplies handy and write then down as soon as you finish your card and keep it handy, because you have to write it all over again when you send in the card!!!! Love your rejects, especially the last one - love the pink! Can't wait to see your card in November!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting! Those sure don't look like rejects - they are all beautiful! Thanks for sharing the links with tips. I'd love to have my cards published someday in the future. I think I've got a while before that will happen though!

AnitaRex said...

Oh Virginia I am beyond delighted for you!!! So happy for you and trying! You really deserve it and I know you made your children proud! I cannot wait to see your card!!! I know it's beautiful!

jen said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! you will never tire of getting that happy email!!! enjoy!!!

pcm said...

Congratulations!!!!

Simone said...

Yay!! Congratulations Virginia!! Such great news and so well deserved with your amazing talent!! Your rejects are definitely not rejects - they are gorgeous! :)

Jessica said...

Oh, how sweet....CONGRATULATIONS! I think you have amazing talent, natural! I really love your blog header, too. Do you do photography, too? That is a great moral to teach children. When any of the children that surround my life have expressed "I can't...", my response is "Well, Can't never did anything". They kind of look at me with their heads tipped to the side, then it hits them. LOL
Happy to be a new follower from the CAS-ual Fridays challenge blog!
Smilez,
Jessica

Lindsay said...

YEAH! Way to go Virginia! Loved your "overlooked" cards! They are lovely! I can't wait to see your project in the magazine! Keep up the great work!

NancyS said...

Congratulations, Virginia, on being selected. I can't wait to see the chosen card because these rejected works are so wonderful! TFS.

Emily Leiphart said...

Virginia, I'm not surprised at all that you are going to be published! I'm so happy you decided to submit because your cards deserve to be in print! Your rejects aren't at all rejects either. I love them!!

Glenda J said...

Congrats to you Virginia! Love all of your 'rejects'. Great work!

Patrice said...

Congratulations!

BabyBokChoy said...

congrats Virginia :) Now it's gonna roll in like a flood :)

Emily Branch said...

I am soooooooooo proud of you!!! CONGRATS!!! Here's to many more publications in your future!!! :-)

Karen said...

I'm so happy for you! Your cards always inspire me and make me smile. Can't wait to see the one that got picked!!! Congrats.

judkajudi said...

Virginia, what happy and exciting news! congratulations!! I'm sure that this is just the beginning!! Hugs!!

Chris Millar said...

Just catching up on your blog V and saw this post! That is so awesome the you have a card chosen for this publication!!! So excited for you!!!

Alice Wertz said...

it makes me smile whenever i thought that you have a card picked up, girl! you soooooo deserve it!!! can't wait to see your card and i think your rejects are winners, too. they are so beautiful and delightful, just like you!! keep up the good work, girl! =) big smily hugs!!

Kathy said...

Wooo Hoooooo this is so awesome miss BC!!