Wednesday, September 7, 2011

GRATEFUL

It's been a long while since I made a window card. This hello card
was one of  my first wins from Hero Art's window card challenge back in 2009. This month's Hero Arts Challenge is to create window or/and  fall-themed cards.

I stamped Leaf Prints and masked the leaves around the edges, then I diecut an oval in the center for the word "GRATEFUL". I pop dotted the entire card front for interest and add the SRM Sticker Sentiment-Fall . Before I applied the sentiment, I stamped Envelope Pattern to create some textured-like interest for the focal point. To add the finishing touches, I added the paper flower (folded in half) with a red twine.
GRATEFUL
When my kids were in elementary schools, I used to make my kids write thank-you notes to every teacher that they have at the end of the school year. To this day, they do them on their own now. Thanks to Dr. John, I came across this:

  Thanks: How the New Science of Gratitude Can Make You Happier, scientist Robert Emmons explains on how feeling gratitude can make us happier than even winning the lottery. Emmons lists ways we can cultivate our own gratitude, including journals and ..something I have always loved--writing thank-you notes.

Here are three things I am grateful for.  I am grateful to my family (who support me and love me the way I am). I am grateful to the friends and followers of my blog that I met through Hero Arts Flickr and blogging. So many of you are encouraging and kind to me and I treasure all of your thoughtful feedback and comments. I am grateful for the health that I have (thank you, Lord!).  I often take it for granted. Without a good health, I can not do what I enjoy.

With my daughter's consent, I am sharing an excerpt from Stephanie's own heartfelt blog entry:

...while blasting music through my headphones and panting away today, I started thinking about all the teachers I’ve had over the years and how they’ve helped shape who I am today. Ever since I was little, my Mom has made it a (good) habit of mine to write thank you notes. She made me do this at Christmas time and at the end of a school year. Most often, these cards I reluctantly wrote were accompanied with a small gift or a plate of homemade treats. I always grumbled as a kid when she made me do this because “no one else does it” and because it meant that I’d have to approach my teacher privately outside of regular teaching time. Shudders. Well, good job Mom. I’m really glad you put me through that torture routine because teachers do go largely unappreciated. The special high school teachers, in particular, deserve a pat on the back. Whatever career I end up with one day, or job if it’s not so spectacular, I hope that it will involve teaching. It’s just an occupation that I truly respect (reasons should be somewhat obvious) and maybe, yeah, in teaching others you can make a difference.

 I love what Stephanie wrote :)

Have you tried the InLinkz Supply list tool? Check my sidebar! It is FREE to try!

34 comments:

Karin (Peppermintpatty) said...

What a wonderful fall card! Love how you stamped the leaves around the edge and the flower showing halfway up - so beautiful!

Dawn said...

Love the card.... I had a similar design in mind... great minds think alike...oh well back to the drawing board.... And you can be so proud of your Stephanie. She sounds so responsible. I wish her luck in whatever she does in life,

Simone said...

This is so beautiful Virginia! I love the colours and that half hidden flower! Aww Stephanie is so sweet!

Isha said...

Beautiful card Virginia. You have used lovely fall colors. Stephanie has written this so beautifully:) Its not just your card making skills that inspired me. Its also the way you gave your kids values. Love that. Thank you for being you.

Lynn said...

Gorgeous fall card Virginia...and I am 100% with you on thank you notes!

Donna Bowman said...

Very pretty fall card Virginia! Love how you masked the leaves!

yyam said...

Oh wow! This is just beautiful! Love your stamping! :)

Heather Innusa said...

This is such a pretty card!!! Perfectly fall!!

Cheryl Nelson said...

LOVE Stephanie's blot entry...she is so thoughtful. LOVE that card...I can see why it was a winner!

Vicky said...

Love the card but love you even more! you are an inspiration to all moms! So proud i am your friend! Thank you for posting this. Being a mom and a teacher i am with you all the way!

alexandra s.m. said...

Wonderful post and gorgeous card Virginia!
Yes, I'm familiar with both the book (heard it on NPR) and the concept and can attest that it does enrich every moment of life on earth! You have done such a fantastic job with your children Virginia! and all your efforts have payed off, who knew, right?!! What comes around goes around! Thank you for raising such a gracious young Lady, we all benefit from a mother's love and efforts!!

merci <3

Ann R. said...

The card is beautiful - fall is my favorite time of year. And love your Stephanie (what a good job you did raising her!) I have a daughter, daughter-in-law and sister who are teachers. I appreciate a young person who appreciates their teacher. Good job, Virginia!

BabyBokChoy said...

maybe it's coz i live in minnesota and minnesota nice prevails, i swear there's thank-you notes everywhere!!! :) Your card is so gorgeous, again with the color stamping!

Anni said...

This is such a beautiful card! Ich liebe diese herbstlichen Farben, eine tolle Zusammenstellung! Wie süß das Fesnter ist!
Liebe Grüße, Anika

Brenda said...

I really loved your daughter's blog entry Virginia, what a great person! And I love the fall colours you captured on your card!

Angi @ CokiePop said...

A Gorgeous fall creation. Love your grateful list too. And awwww I love your daughter's post about teachers. I need to show this to the teachers at my school. They would love this. I love it too. :)

Kathy (krolski) said...

Your Fall window card is beautiful! Love the masked leaves. Love your grateful list today too and Stephanie's thoughtful words.

Barb said...

beautiful card!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Such a lovely, fall card! The colors are so rich. It sounds like your daughter is a beautiful, young lady, Virginia. You should be proud. :)

GrammySue's Creations said...

Hi Virginia, love the rich fall colors of this card--the fall colors are wonderful. Your daughters blog entry is awesome-- You taught her well. Take care and hugs to you.

Karen B. said...

What a beautiful card and a beautiful trait to install in your children.

Lindsey said...

What a beautiful post today, Wendy -- the card and the words.

Emily Keaton said...

Oh, this is absolutely wonderful! What a great design, so colorful. A truly beautiful autumn card!

Alice Wertz said...

absolutely gorgeous! such a beautiful frame and love love the fall colors you used. it's because you are a cool mom that your kids turned out so thoughtful!! love reading about this and Stephanie is such a sweet and talented girl! thanks for a beautiful post and i am so grateful to call you a friend! =)

dahlhouse-designs.com said...

amazing cutout card, love the little flower peeking out!!!

Annette said...

wow this card is stunning... love all the leaves...

Leni said...

HI Virginia,
First : I love your card! Because of the beautiful leaves, and the fall colors. Orange is always my favorite !
Besides this I want to thank you for the encouraging words about " thank you " letters. I wrote many of them through the years, for the teachers of our children. But now they are at the " middelbare school" I thought I have to stop this because they don't like it. But your post shows me that saying thanks never should stop! I am glad I read this! I feel encouraged to continue writing thank you cards for teachers!
Greetings from Leni

Elizabeth Allan said...

I am grateful that I know you Virginia! Gorgeous card.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOW! What a beautiful card---LOVE that little flower and red string! BEAUTIFUL:)

Stephanie is so amazing--so talented and wonderful:)

Susan said...

Love your card Virginia. Amazing. And love Stephanie's thoughts. My husband John was a teacher and he touched the lives of so many. Teaching has the power to change people's lives and point them in a direction. When he retired, many of his students attended his retirement party and even 15 years after graduating they remembered his influence in their lives. Sounds like Stephanie will be a great teacher. We need lots of those!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Virginia, first of all, I really love your card. The masking of those leaves is so well done, the colors so vibrant, and I love that you rimmed the card with them. Secondly, good for you, making your kids write thank you notes. I do the same with my own girls. They gripe, but someday they will appreciate it, as your own DD has! Loved reading her excerpt. Thanks for sharing. :)

Cristina said...

Soooo pretty! Love those scrumptious colors!

Eve said...

Beautiful FAll card, Virginia! Luv those different colored & shaped leaves around it. Also luv the envy pattern on the back of the sentiment! yes, you are absolutely right. HEALTH is the most important thing! If you aren't healthy, everything would be hard to do, incld. Staming! lol :-) I'm thankful for my health & my mothers'.:-)

Trinh said...

This is beautiful, Virginia! Such a perfect way to capture fall. And I agree with you about showing gratitude and writing thank you notes.