Thursday, November 3, 2011

Working with Large Images

Do large stamped images intimidate you? It did to me! As much as I love to color (in small doses, that is), I still feel intimidated about coloring large objects.

Early last month, I participated in the Hero Arts Scramble challenge and had the luck to win the random draw for the Hero Arts Digie kit called Poetic Petals . I LOVE the gorgeous images, but the size of them were really daunting to me. The "worst" thing is I didn't know how to re-size the images ( I am still figuring that out....). But that didn't stop me from playing with them. I decided to let it sit a  bit. Later I figured out a way of coloring without using too much of my precious copic inks! Here is what I did...
 From this picture, you can see that I printed out the image on copy paper. Then I cut out the flower images and that left me with the negative part of  images. It's perfect as a template!
With the help of distress inks, the flowers took little time to color. The best thing about it is that it gives such a lovely shading without much effort! I think this is such a cool way to mass produce sets of note cards, don't you think?

Since the image is so big, I didn't think it is necessary to have sentiment in it.
Flower with SRM Sticker (lacey boder)
Be sure to start the distressing from outside toward the center when you color. That will give you the perfect shading for the flowers.
Poetic flower with SRM Sticker (lacey border)
I sneaked in the SRM sticker (yes it is there!). See? It's the lacy border from Fancy Sentiment.
Flower with SRM Sticker (lacey border)
Which flower is your favorite?
Collage of three flower cards without sentiment
If you are wondering what I do with the 4th flower on that digit kit, then you have to come back on Friday!! See you then!

34 comments:

Annette said...

Friday... you are teasing us... These are so beautiful... wow who ever gets these cards from you are lucky... these are so amazing..the coloring is perfect...

Piali said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Barb said...

Gorgeous shading with the distress inks, Virginia! These turned out so beautifully! My fave has to be the image that is just like the Engraved Flower, cling stamp, and I have that one. You've made me want to get it out to play! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

thefisherlady said...

your work is beautifully done
I had so much fun looking through your many posts

Dawn said...

Wow Virginia. These are stunning. Love the beautiful colours on this large flowers.

Barb said...

beautiful! the last flower is especially pretty. thanks for sharing your process, i love to learn from amazing designers like yourself :)

Isha said...

Stunning creations Virginia. Cant choose one. You certainly reminded me that I have this digi and its time for it to be out:)

patscrap91 said...

Beautiful ! I love them all !

Handmade Cards by Archana said...

WOW!! they all look fab!!

Donna Bowman said...

Virginia, those flowers are absolutely stunning! I love learning new ways to use my distress inks too!! I the yellow one is my favorite!

Lynn said...

Gorgeous...wow! I love the yellow one the best, but they are all beautiful. They would make a great card set.

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Wow! These are great can't wait to try this technique! Thanks!

Maureen Morton said...

Are you kidding me? These are all fantastic - looks like right out of a botanical reference book! Glorious, Virginia!

Jo said...

I love the yellow one the best, but I really like all of them.

cnelson said...

WOW!!!! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! Can't wait for Friday!

Linda R. said...

They are all amazing.. I love how you made these, I would love to give this a try!!

Hugs, Linda

Tiffany said...

I love these digi images, you know me, I can't resist flowers! Love your cards, Virginia! The colors are amazing!

Crafty Cre8tions said...

Wow - #1 is my favorite but all three are just outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!

These are just so beautiful. I agree - no sentiments necessary!!

Thanks for visiting my blog :)
Maria

Rachel W K said...

V, these are gorgeous! My fave has to be the purple colored one, but I love them all! Sometimes I looove huge stamp images, because like you said, you don't need to add anything else!
oh, and I CANNOT believe you own an Expression but haven't even opened the box! you're crazy lol

-rachel w k
rwkrafts.blogspot.com

Wendy ten Hove said...

Oh, wauw! These are gorgeous!! But picking my fave somwhow is easy, it's the yellow one! All three are pretty, but the yellow one just pops of the card, don't know if it's the shape of the image or something, but that's the one! It's beautiful!!
Hugs, Wendy

Chris and Paige Evans said...

BEAUTIFUL cards! They're so artistic!

diana said...

Lovely cards! TFS ;-)

dahlhouse-designs.com said...

Beautiful! Love the red one adn those large images make the most gorgeous cards.

Lindsey said...

These are gorgeous, Virginia! And another feature on the Create blog, I noticed. :) With two kids at home, I'm sure you can get a tutorial on resizing images. ;) But these are perfect in their full-size glory.

Jocelyn Olson said...

These are amazing, Virginia! I love a huge stamp (I often resize my stamps larger--ha ha). The way you blended them is perfection. The yellow is my fave.

HUGE congrats on the PC acceptance! Woo hoo!

cheiron said...

I love them all, but the yellow one is my favorite. Gorgeous job with these...so pretty!

Sylvia said...

oh WOW ... amazing cards! love how you decorated the flower centers.. just THE perfect little finishing touch.. wonderful!
Sylvia

Nona said...

Congrats on your HA tweet, Virginia! All your cards are absolutely gorgeous! I love the shading on your flowers. Really creative technique.

For re-sizing your digi's, try converting them to jpeg. Here is a link on how you can do that: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060929085017AAZ9rk5. Then you can re-size it in Photobucket, a word document, or any other photo editing progam you have. HTH!

Have a fun and crafty weekend :)

Debstamps said...

Oh--the Hero poppy botanical has always been my favorite in that older wood block set! Love what you did with these images!

yyam said...

Goodness! These are just gorgeous!!!! :)

BabyBokChoy said...

It's so amazing it looks like printed material!!!

Lisa Petrella said...

GORGEOUS!!! You should totally frame these masterpieces!!! SOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Cathy Fong said...

wowww!! very very gorgeous! i love how you colour all of them . first one is my fav! :D

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

GOOOOOOOOOORGEOUS! LOVE the colors you've used--LOVE the idea of cutting out the image and adding the color in.....WOW! BEAUTIFUL!