Friday, December 30, 2011

Food Memories from Philly!

As you may know, I was in Philadelphia for this past Christmas! Well, the visit to my brother-in-law's place was absolutely fabulous! It was all about food and food and more food. Lucky for us, my sister-in law (a true foodie herself) worked tirelessly and prepared us scrumptious meals. Without further ado, I will share some yummy photos with you. Caution: this may cause severe drooling!

When in Philly, you have to have ...."Philly Cheese Steaks" (our lunch)!
 Hoagie! (I actually learned something about this submarine sandwich from the Wikipedia). It was so yummy!
 The Christmas Eve feast is Seven Fishes . My sister-in-law Florence decided to follow the Italian tradition and modified it to 7 seafood--lucky us!!
First course--Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail
 Custard with Crab Meat
 This was the preparation of the Lobster Bisque.
The Lobster Bisque
Mixed Greens with Smoked Salmon
A large rind that's made with scallops and cream
Lobster Ravioli. My sister-in-law even made the pasta, cooked, cleaned the lobster herself. There is no short cut in this feast!  
 Baked Salt Fish
The fish was amazingly tender with all that salt covered 
 the last course
 And just when you think you are FULL, there are desserts! Florence is famous for her Macarons! The cone-shaped cookies are called Krumkake (which David and I helped making with the Krumkake machine). They were filled with chocolate Mousse!
 The Chocolate Molten Cake--divine!
This conclude the Christmas Eve dinner! There will be more scrumptious posts about food and a lovely visit to Longwood Gardens in the next few weeks! Hope you are "satisfied" for now :)

21 comments:

Chunyuan said...

Yum! These pictures cause serious drooling!

cnelson said...

Oh myyyy...serious drooling indeed!!

Barb said...

I can't imagine eating that many courses of fish, but I'm glad you all enjoyed it, V! Looks delicious - especially the desserts! :)

sheila said...

Oh my goodness....that looked like one amazing feast!

Dawn said...

stunning Virginia... after all of that, it's a wonder you could even move. Totally incredible.

Michelle said...

Virginia! I'm definitely NOT satisfied! LOL! There are several dishes there that I absolutely love, and now I'm going to have to figure out a time to make them, my appetite has been awakened. :-) Thank-you for sharing this beautiful feast.

Lin said...

Beautiful - that was really a feast! Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see Longwood Gardens!

cheiron said...

YUMMY! Everything looks amazing Virginia. Happy New Year!

Megan Aaron said...

oooh I didn't know you were in Philly! I live in Philly! although I actually was out of town while you were here - lol! but yet, Philly is great for food! Can't wait to see your Longwood photos - I haven't been there in AGES even though I grew up right near there. I keep meaning to go see the Christmas display and then never get around to it.

Kathy (krolski) said...

Wow, what a feast!! Your sister-in-law sure did out-do herself! Sounds like it was an awesome get together.

MarcyK924 said...

OH SWOON!!! You have one talented SIL!! What a lovely menu! And Longwood Gardens is my favorite place to visit - my son lived in the Philly suburbs. XO

Elizabeth Allan said...

Wow! A very elegant and delicious holiday. Happy New Year Virginia!

Tiffany said...

Wow! These look divine! I'm going to take a closer look at all of these now! Hope you are enjoying the countdown to the New Year!

Judy1223 said...

Oh, Virginia, if I had known you were coming to Philadephia I could hav met you for lunch...I'm right over the Ben Frankin Bridge in southern NJ! The dinner pictures are out of this world...what a feast! I can't wait to see your Longwood Gardens pics...I posted a few last summer, love to see the Christmas displays there!

Ivanka said...

That looks like an amazing feast! Happy New Year, Virginia!

Lillian Child said...

You had me at that philly sandwich! WOW! Happy New Year, my dear!

Rachel W K said...

how lucky are you to have a sister in law willing to cook all this for you?!! looks amazing, hope you had a very merry christmas in philly!

-rachel w k
rwkrafts.blogspot.com

dahlhouse-designs.com said...

I am such a foodie, so LOVED this post. Happy New Year Virginia!!!

Karen from MI said...

PLEASE ask FLORENCE if next year she could set an extra place setting for ME!! :) I LOVED everything that she served and the presentation was BEAUTIFUL!!! :) Looks like you didn't STARVE at Florence's home!!! :)
Love, Karen xo

Nona said...

Yum! These look so divine, Virginia! Your sister-in-law is truly a talented chef! Thank you for sharing and happy 2012! :)

ivy said...

what a fantastic looking meal!! excuse me but i gotta go....go wipe the drool off! ;)