Monday, January 23, 2012

Poor Girl's Stamp-a-ma-Jig!

I had some discovery fun and would love to share with you today. Thanks to a comment from my dear blog friend Anita R. who reminded me that I can make my own Stamp-A-Ma-Jig with Lego! That got me really thinking...I have TONS of Lego! I went to the basement (it used to be my kids' playground) and looked around. Right way, I spotted a "skyscraper" kind of plastic toy and "ding"-there is my stamp-a-ma-jig! I used duct tape to keep it in position.
 Here I used a wooden stamp to show you how I did it.
 First I stamped the butterfly in orange, then I colored the edges of the butterfly in black. I cleaned the excess black ink off with a cotton swab. Then STAMP! You then have an orange butterfly with the black outline!
Since I am a participant of this on line CAS class, 
 
I was inspired to make a color block background with the sponge applicator.
lots of love
The sentiment is from SRM Stickers. I simply applied it over the ribbons (the brown ribbon in the middle was layered over the yellow). Add the pearls. I also used this same approach with this set of blue/pink bird cards.

I am going to keep this Poor Girl's Stamp-A-Ma-Jig in use. I love it when I can make my own , just so I can use the saved money for something else. Wouldn't you love that, too? Maybe you can make one yourself if you haven't tried. Any L-shaped block will do. Dollar store is a good source if you don't have small kids' toys like I do. Have FUN!
And... thanks, Anita!! 

29 comments:

AnitaRex said...

YAY! I love it! I lvoe that you did it! And it does feel so good to save money! :> I love that you taped it down, keeps it in place! :> Love your card Virginia!

Lynn said...

What a great suggestion from Anita! And I love how you outlined in black and did the middle in orange! So cool!

joy said...

Well, now, arent' you and Anita just too clever?? Love this idea; but I actually have a stamp-a-ma-jig. And, I'd have to get Legos from my great-grands at this stage in my life!!! LOL

Love your color-blocked card, Virginia.

Tammy said...

Okay--now I'm going to rummage through my sons' LEGO--only problem . . . they still play with it!
Love the butterfly on your card!

Judy1223 said...

OK, I can DO this! We have more Legos than we know what to do with...but I have a good idea now! Your card is beautiful, I love the soft background colors with that beautiful butterfly!

Megan Aaron said...

love this idea!

Maureen Morton said...

Most inventive, Virginia. Now, I can't afford a new car - would go back to the basement and see what you can tape together for me? I love the brightness of this card. The color blocks give this butterfly such a sense of flight. Thanks!

Ivanka said...

Love the butterfly and outlining it in black, great look! Love your stamp-a-ma-gig creation too. You have me looking around for what I can use to make one. Hmmm.

Gilda said...

Besides being super talented, you're ingenious!

cnelson said...

Lovely! ! LOVE it...you clever girl!

Angi said...

Gorgeous! Love the color. :)

Barb said...

Look at that! You are even clever and creative with toys! (hee, hee!)Love this fun idea from Anita, and you card turned out beautifully, V! Hugs! :)

Elizabeth Allan said...

Brilliant idea and card!

Lindsay said...

How ingenious Virginia! Seriously fab idea! Love your colorful card too, those sponged rectangles are a great addition!

Linda R. said...

What a great idea. Now you got me thinking. Your card looks wonderful. I love that butterfly stamp...

Hugs, Linda

Kathy (krolski) said...

Great idea Virginia and Anita! :) Love your card and all the pearls on the butterfly! Beautiful!

sheila said...

Thanks for the tip Virginia....such a great little idea! And your card is so pretty...I love the detail of embellies on the butterfly!

Cathy A said...

Fabulous stamp a am jig
Lovely card too with the coloured panels

chrystinanoel.com said...

I love this idea!! I especially love that it involves LEGOs. I'm going to have to remember this.

MarcyK924 said...

Anita must write a book on these little gems! I could picture you putting this stamp-a-ma-jig together! I would love to see a picture of Dr. John viewing this for the first time, or at least his reaction to it!! I ADORE how this card came out.... it was worth it because this story is priceless, V!!

anke-art said...

Ha, I made a stamp-a-ma-jig as well (from an old wooden picture frame) because I attended the CAS class :D
Your cards are beautiful and very inspiring!

Lindsey said...

Oh yes, what _does_ Dr. John think of this? :P You can always save a scrap of acetate packaging so you can use your homemade SAMJ that way, too. This card is gorgeous! I love the colour-blocked background and that butterfly is astounding.

*Alison* said...

this creation is beautiful.. I love the idea of making your own stamp-a-ma-jig how fun is that.. I will have to give it a try :) hugs

Tiffany said...

Oh Virginia! You are too cute! Love your homemade Stamp-a-ma-jig! Very clever and it sure worked! Love your beautiful butterfly!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

clever!

Julie said...

Virginia... you are so clever!! Never thought of using Lego!! We have some of that at home too! Got to try this out!! Thanks for a brilliant idea!!

Eve said...

I would never ever ever thought of making that tool out of lego. wow. how did you come up with the idea??!! lol Very pretty card with nice background! :-)

dahlhouse-designs.com said...

very clever! works like a charm!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHH! I love that you made your own Stamp-A-Ma-Jig!!! Clever! Totally going to try this:) BEAUTIFUL card! LOVe that butterfly and those pearls on the sentiment! FUN!