Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Create a Layout with Scallops

As you know, I've caught the scrapbooking bug lately. This week's Basic Grey's Weekly Challenge (Creating a Project with Scallops) gives me another chance to make one to my heart's content. 

I decided to make a page from David's 2011 Latin class trip to Italy. These two photos have been printed out a long while ago. I often struggle with the ideas as to how to present them in a meaningful way...so I never did till today.
2011 Italy
Lessons that I learned from making this layout:
1. You can still make a floral page for a guy! Even though I used the floral pattern from Basic Grey's Piccadilly, the page still looks fitting to the theme. (David did say that it's still "girly"--gah! I don't think so--and I insist!)
2. Scallops are not just for girls. Here I utilize the scallops as a border and keep the photos in focus. 
3. Red and green do not have to be limited for Christmas projects only.  Thankfully the colors of the Italian flags are green, white and red. I think the colors are perfect for this layout.
4. You don't have to have scallop border punch to make scallops. I used my circle punch to create the scalloped borders (see half circles on top of the photos).
 All the sentiment from this layout are from SRM Stickers. They really make the creating part a cinch! I also used a bit of Japanese washi tape for the photo corners.  The scalloped oval is a stamp from Hero Arts' Sweet Threads Labels . I stamped it over Basic Grey paper and cut it out. The title "Italy" are stickers from Basic Grey's "Indie bloom" collection. I also stamped the text with  Newspaper Eiffel Tower and distressed the edges. 
Thanks so much for your well wishes on Dr. John's birthday yesterday. He lives vicariously through my blog and your sweet comments really make him smile! 

30 comments:

Annette said...

wow Virginia....you are rocking these layouts...This is just too fun.. I love it..

Karen from MI said...

YOU ARE TOTALLY AMAZING, Virginia! I'm signing up for LESSONS.........when can you fit me in??? LOVE this layout beyond words!!! You've got the WOW! FACTOR going in every area.......DESIGN, COLOR....it's ALL THERE!! What a FABULOUS layout and what a CREATIVE MIND you have!! Love, Karen

yyam said...

Awesome work Virginia! I love how you stamped the edges. Really cool! And the colours are just fantastic!

Valentina said...

BELLISSIMO!
Let me say it, I’m 100% italian! Love the papers you used and the “circle scallop”
Does your son study Latin?
I studied too, to tell the truth it wasn’t my favourite subject… It opens your mind and helps you at University, but…well, I prefer to study English :)

Dorel said...

Oh, I love your layouts. I'm checking everyday your blog and hoping to see your gorgeous layouts. I've never made one, but I'm sure someday I will. You really inspire me!!! Thanks!

Nona said...

Hi, Virginia! I've missed visiting your blog. I hope life is treating you well. Your layout is absolutely fabulous! Love how you created the scallops with a circle punch and using normally feminine and traditional aspects as part of a masculine design. You're always thinking outside the box :) David must have had a blast in Italy. I've always wanted to visit Europe. My belated birthday wishes to Dr. John. Hope he enjoyed his special day!

Donna Bowman said...

Great page Virginia!! Love how you used the scallops to accent the photos!

Simone said...

This is such a fun layout Virginia! Love the scallops and also love those photos! Italy is sooo beautiful :)

Lynn said...

I need to get your scrapbooking mojo! Your layouts are fabulous and I adore David's big smile!

Lin said...

Virginia, your art is evolving! Love how you're expanding into layouts! This is a wonderful page!

joy said...

What a fun layout, Virginia! I love that your used the colors of the Italian flag, floral prints and scallops. They do, indeed, work for a masculine page as well as feminine. What great memories your son will have preserved for him with this page!!

Isha said...

WOW!! Am I speechless or what?? This is absolute Gorgeous Virginia. Love every little detail of it. TFS my friend.

Linda R said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this page. So many wonderful details my friend..

Hugs~

Elizabeth Allan said...

Virginia I love how you took elements that we typically think of for "girls" and put together this fabulous and colorful page for a boy!

Angi said...

Love the gorgeous paper! Fabulous layout.

Bethany said...

Neat layout Virginia!
:)

MarcyK924 said...

OMG, this is FABULOUS! What an amazing layout! And I love your thought process, how you went outside the box with flowers and scallops! BRILLIANT work, V!!

Cindy C. said...

Wonderful page Virginia! Now I am not so afraid to use floral pp for by boys' layout (if I ever get the mojo to make some).

Anita Recksiedler said...

Fabulous Layout! :> I love reading how you make the layout! Love these photos too! :> Your getting so good at LO's now!

Deb said...

Love seeing your layouts! You are a fabulous scrapbooker. What a great idea to use washii tape as photo corners. I will have to keep that in mind. Fantastic layout!

Susan F. said...

Thank you so much for demonstrating that shapes and colors can be masculine. :)

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love your layout Virginia. Inspires me to scrap more! will have to scraplift this layout.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Such a wonderful layout, Virginia - I love all your lessons learned - such fun! And what great photos of David - I don't think the page is at all girly!

chrystinanoel.com said...

Circles as scallops. Genius :)

Also. You're right. Red and green don't get enough credit. They're complementary colors!! They should be used more often. And yellow and purple sort of took over Easter, huh? Next thing you know we're going to have a holiday for blue and orange...

BabyBokChoy said...

What a fun layout, and any year where one gets to go to Italy is an excellent year :)

Maureen Morton said...

Another winner, Virginia - love how you incorporated the colors of the flag for this lovely layout! My vote is that this is not girlie one bit, but full of class and character. Your son is lucky to have such a beautiful memory and a talented Mom!

Melissa Shea said...

I like how you used the colors of Italy in a not so obvious way. Like it's not just bold red, green and white. Another inspiring LO!

Lisa Arana said...

gorgeous... i sure wish I could scrap like you.

Lindsey said...

Awesome! I love the "it was a very good year" sentiment.

Alice Wertz said...

the stamped border is really fun and love those tapes you used. wonderful layout, V!