Saturday, April 14, 2012

Using a Sketch for a Layout!

Today I am sharing a layout based on the following sketch (see  Basic Grey Blog)
If you click on the link, you will see the original and stunning design by Els Brige.
I tweaked the sketch a little and I made it into a masculine page since the object of my affection in this page is my son David. I think it's most appropriate to add the elements that David loves. Ever since he was a little boy, David loves all things that moves and he hasn't changed at all. In fact,  David just got accepted to Engineering Science at U. of Toronto with scholarship and is contemplating the future life of an engineer! Today he will be visiting the university campus with the accompany of an alumni--his sister!
 A boy's life
The three school photos of David's have graced our fridge door for a long while.They are not in the best shape as they were not protected. I thought it's time to make them into a page, that way we can properly store the photos! As you can see, I stamp a lot on my layout. The stamp set is called Past Time . I just love this set! The paper is from Basic Grey's Little Black Dress. The paper is actually very sophisticated for a boy's layout! Don't let the name fool you!

  The journaling reads: "It's amazing how you have grown....from a little (cute) guy to a happy young man! Go, David!!
Indeed, I am so blessed to have this little smiley guy! David just told me that his friends asked him if he ever gets angry!! I mean, look at him, he really doesn't get mad much himself. David is always calm and collected. I rarely see him lose his cool over stressful things. BUT his sister overheard the comment and retorted: " Sure, he doesn't get angry easily...but he sure makes me angry..a. lot."! I guess that's what a naughty boy does to their sibling!

edited--this was Stephanie's Facebook status last night around midnight:
Guess who's exercising and baking banana bread at this hour?! Hint: He also likes to practices cello at 1:30 AM. Gah! David!

Lastly, here is a sneak peek of my card in Clear and Simple Daily App. scheduled to be posted on Apr. 13, 2012.

Wish you are beautiful weekend!

26 comments:

Barb said...

Virginia, you've created another wonderful layout! Love, love, love all the fun stamps you've incorporated into this fabulous page! Fun photos of David too! :)

Deb said...

Fabulous layout! I love all the stamping that you add to your pages. This was a great sketch to use more than 1 photo and you nailed it! Fantastic job!

Isha said...

Goodness Virginia. This is a gem of a page you created for David. Priceless treasure....I have to CASE it, if you allow.

Tammy said...

I love seeing more of your layouts lately!! I love all the stamping on this one, and the string attached to the plane and banner is a perfect embellishment!

Lynn said...

Your layouts are so fabulous Virginia. I love all the stamps you used to capture David's loves and growth. Awesome!

Brenda said...

Awesome layout Virginia! I love all the "white" space and the "moving" elements across the page! And of course your very sweet son!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Great layout Virginia! Love the stamps you used.

Christina said...

Congrats to David on his scholarship! You must be so proud and excited for him!
I love all of the stamping and sponging you did on this layout. They highlight the photos perfectly. I especially love the banner detail at the top!

Bethany said...

Very nice layout, Virginia!

I love the stamped images-they add a wonderful touch :)

Have a nice weekend!
(and remember, Jesus loves you!)

Kara Lynne said...

Love this layout! What a handsome young man. Love all the stamps, and especially that plane with the title banner!

chrystinanoel.com said...

I really love the three-dimensional airplane :) nice touch

Lin said...

So fun seeing these pictures of David! You did a fantastic job with the sketch, V!

Tenia Nelson said...

So so cool dearie!!! Kudos to your son too.....I know you are a super proud Mama!!!!

MarcyK924 said...

Your layouts are always amazing, V! I love seeing the progression of age in David's pictures. What a handsome guy! He'll look back and appreciate this with his kids some day! Hugs to you! Marcy XO

Kerry said...

What a great layout documenting how your son has grown over the years. Congrats to him on all his accomplishments...I'm sure you are one proud mama! :)

Melissa Shea said...

I'm loving your LO's lately! Love the colorful balloons, I think I could really love that trend! Your kids sound well-rounded too :) I suppose you're doing it right!

Romaine said...

Virginia, love seeing the changes in your boy! and thanks for the chuckle with his 1 am cello practices! My eldest plays violin and is a night owl and I could sooo picture that being her!
Your lay-out is fabulous! Every now and then I think of trying a page, but it is sooo big! Then I see a sketch and think, "what if I worked with sketches all the time"...slightly less intimidating! ;0)

Be(e) said...

Great take on the sketch, Virginia! I love all the stamping on your page and your clever ways to add details to them. Very creative to use pictures of your son growing up.
Congrats on your boy's acceptance to university!!

Karen said...

What a wonderful and sweet layout!! Great elements...I also loved that masking card from Tuesday,and all the others as well...just havn't been able to comment lately but I've been visiting. Have a great weekend thanks for all your inspiration!

Kathy (krolski) said...

I love hearing about your kids. It makes me laugh! :) This LO is so adorable. David rocks! How did you get featured in the App Store? Do tell! :)

Susan F. said...

This is a really nice layout. I love the idea of using photos through the years. I have 2 boys so this is very appealing to me.

Anita Recksiedler said...

Love these photos and seeing him grow into a Dr John look alike! :> What a fantastic layout, I so love how you used these stamps! Fabulous! :> I laughed at Stephanie's comment, as a sister with a brother five years younger too I can relate! :> So wonderful that he is so calm! :> So exciting that he is going to U of T but so sad for him to leave home eh?

TenSGal said...

Wonderful layout...love the stamps that you used to make this layout so unique. Congratulations to David...he sounds like an awesome young man! I am partial to the name David...my husband is named David, my son in law is David and my grandson is David! :) It's a great name!

Susan

Lindsey said...

U of T -- my under-grad school, too! Great take on the sketch, Virginia.

Elizabeth Allan said...

Love your layouts Virginia! You are so inspiring with your use of different materials, inks and designs!

Alice Wertz said...

love all the stamped details. super layout, VIrginia!