Thursday, June 7, 2012

Stuck in the Rainbow Mode

I have been making so many rainbow-themed cards lately, I just can't seem to stop. I have an idea that was floating in my head and I was eager to try it out before I can call it quits.

I have been fascinated with rolled paper and I decided to test it out with a rainbow-themed card. And just because it's rainbow-themed , the card can still be subtle. My previous rainbow-themed cards are really really bright (see here , here  and here ).
you color my world
I used my scraps of Basic Grey paper and turned them into pencil crayons
Here is.....how I roll (not rolled perfectly inside, but they will do)
~use Glossy Accent as adhesive
~highlight pencil crayon tips with Glossy Accent (add shine and a bit of dimension)
~pierce the holes with a ruler and use colored pens to connect the dots/add the faux stitching.

Jump start on your creativity:
~use any color combo to suit your needs or designs
~make a great summer craft activity with kids
~make a fantastic Christmas tree or create twigs like I did here
~create rolled paper with any themes (birthday candles are another popular one)
~use scraps of paper, pattern paper...any paper or stamp your own paper
~check CREATE Blog out for more inspiration 
 ~Here is what you can find from Pinterest.  

this photo will definitely inspire you....(source: Pinterest)
 
Lastly, BIG thanks to those who took part in my rainbow-themed challenge (check the side bar). The entries kept rolling in! LOVE that. We have over 30 entries!! Hope this post inspired you to try it out. 

36 comments:

Barb said...

Oh, you are just so clever! LOVE your handmade colored pencils - really adorable! And that faux stitching is so fun! Love this post, Virginia - you sure know how to inspire us! What a fab frame that is too! Hugs to you! :)

Nona said...

Honestly, Virginia, you always blow me away with what you create! This is so clever and fun. I absolutely LOVE it! And you thank you for the heads up on the tweet. I really do appreciate it. XO

Vic Lau said...

What a neat card! I recently posted a card with rolled paper too :) I will have to try some patterned paper in the future too.

Laura B. said...

Love these rolled crayons! So cute!

shirley-bee said...

That is so inventive, Virginia! I'll have to try that, and the birthday candles idea. It's a great way to use up paper scraps, too. I love the attention to detail with the rainbow stitching.

Kara Lynne said...

Great idea! So many possibilities. I love your rainbow creations, and those papers are wonderful for it!

Dawn said...

Your rolled crayon/pencils are great. What an excellent idea.

Simone said...

Seriously this is SOOOOO awesome! I love those pencils! Also that faux coloured stitching is gorgeous!

onecraftymama said...

I love this, Virginia! What a clever idea for scraps - I've done candles a long time ago, but never thought to try this. :) Love the rainbow faux-stitching too!

Lynn said...

So clever Virginia...when I first looked at this I thought they were true crayons. Fabulous!

kerenbaker said...

Just so clever- such a perfect card. That frame is awesome too.

Ryann Salamon said...

I love your card and the inspiration piece is awesome too. The stitching on this card really WOWed me!

BabyBokChoy said...

WHAT a terrific card, such a great idea!!! wowser!

cnelson said...

Absolutely one of my FAVES!!! LOOOOOVE!!!

Annette said...

awesome card...love this design...Rainbow Mode is a good thing...love all the color...

Ann said...

Saw you'd pinned this image, & I KNEW you'd do something cool with it! LOVE your rolled crayons!

Melanie said...

LOVE your card, Virginia. Rainbows are so cheerful and happy--it's a good rut to be in :)

Linda R said...

I couldn't think of a better mode to be stuck in.. Rainbows are so happy!
Love your rolled crayons. Very creative my friend..

Hugs~

Kathy Martin said...

Wheeeeee! Your rolled crayons are fantastic! So fun! :)

Mirta Sanchez said...

Pretty sure crayons are one of the 7 wonders of the world! And so is your card!

donna mikasa said...

Rainbows are a good thing! Love your paper crayons and the rainbow faux stitching is the perfect touch! Glad to see so many entries for your challenge and I'm hoping to see even more rainbow goodness from you!

Jen W. said...

Virginia, this is so fun!! Your paper pencil crayons are fabulous and your rainbow faux stitching is such a perfect finishing touch!! Love it!

Melissa Shea said...

I love your rainbow kick! Love the creative use of paper! Such a bright and happy card.

Sue McRae said...

You can never make too many rainbow cards Virginia, they make everyone smile! Love your fun crayons and the amazing faux stitching!

Lindsey said...

Great card! I think my favourite part may be that fab faux stitching!

Bethany said...

so very lovely Virginia! I love the rainbow stitching on the top and bottom! So neat :)

Cindy C. said...

These projects are amazing!

Anita Rex said...

HI Virginia! I love this card! I love the rolled papers and idea! And your right that photo is totally inspiring, should have shown it to me last week! :>

Alice Wertz said...

this is so fun and clever! love it, Virginia!

Lalo said...

Okay I LOVE that you LOVE rainbows because your rocking them out!!! This one is fab and the faux stitching was just the right touch.

Sheila H said...

Your paper crayons are ingenious! And they are so cute, too. I'm loving your rainbow creations.

Karen B. said...

So unbelievably clever of you! I love this card, it is so much fun!

Maureen Morton said...

Too much brilliant fun, Virginia! Great dimension with these - I wanna grab them and start coloring, for sure. You continue to amaze.....thanks!

Lisa Arana said...

I'm in a rainbow world lately too. thanks for your inspiration sweet Virginia.

jintyoo7 said...

Wonderful and rainbow coloured faux sewing too - clever clever :)

chrystinanoel.com said...

I love the 3-dness of this card. And it's not easily squishable so it still stores well... perfect :)