Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cruising with Virginia (Part 2-Copenhagen)

All aboard!
 The view from the ship leaving Amsterdam (photo credit-Dr. John).
Welcome to part 2 of the Baltic Cruise (Aug. 13-29). After our three-day visit, it's finally boarding time for the Baltic cruise. Our first port of call was Copenhagen. 
You are going to love today's post because...it is DELICIOUS in every way!
 (the famous Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen harbor in Langelinie, photo credit: Dr. John)

Well, we arrived on a Sunday in Copenhagen. The streets were quiet after we got off the ship. There were lots of fierce bikers. We were on our way to meet my two Hero Arts Flickr Friends. Anette (who took a flight from Oslo to Copenhagen) and Katarina (who took a train from Malmo, Sweden to Copenhagen) to see little me!! Our plan was to meet in downtown Copenhagen at 10 am. As soon as we got off the ship, we were looking frantically for a taxi to take us to the destination...then it was 10:30 am and no taxi in sight!! At one point, I almost got run over by the competitive Danish bikers who yelled at me to get off the bike route! It happened to be the HOTTEST day we had experienced the entire summer. By that time we were sweating like the three little pigs and were feeling like having ants in our pants!!! We were really late in meeting the ladies who took great trouble to come for the meet! Oh the stress that morning, I tell you! Finally, Dr. John decided that we had to get back to the ship to retrieve the BlackBerry that my daughter had left behind (!!!). That way we can call my friends...( at that time I caught myself hyperventilating...)
 (Our cruise ship docked in Copenhagen, the cafe is on the left side in this photo)
  Anyhow to make the long story short, the cafe saved our day! They helped us get a taxi and I used their phone to call Anette about the delay...things started to look up. WAY up! We finally met at 11AM!  Yippee!
Here are the happy photos.
Boy, did we ever have a great time! First, we did the boat cruise to see some fabulous sights....
 These photos were taken by Dr. John. Love how sharp and beautiful the images are! It's a glorious day after all!
 On the boat ride, we came across these amazing sand castles! Looks like there was an Egyptian theme going on. It was really unexpected to see these masterpieces on a boat tour!
Sights from the boat tour...

After the boat tour, it's lunch time! They tasted as good as they looked!
Following the scrumptious lunch, it was time to shop in Stroget (Copenhagen's pedestrian shopping district). Since it's on a Sunday, quite a few stores were closed. Nevertheless, we had fun taking a stroll together.
After some window-shopping under the hot sun, we had to try some Danish pastry! Mmm...mmm GOOD!
Then it's time to bid farewell to Anette and Katarina! They are both so sweet and lovely! I am so thankful that they waited (an hour) for us that morning!  This time they helped us get a taxi from Tivoli Garden (too bad we didn't have time for Tivoli Garden!).
By the time we returned to the ship, David realized that he didn't get to have a photo of him and the Little Mermaid (why does this always happen...?)! He pleaded to go back to the site to take photos. Good thing that it's not far from where the cruise ship docked, I reluctantly agreed. Just after we ran to the site and were about to snap the photos, David found out that the battery for the camera was dead (grrrrr....) ! With only half hour to spare before boarding the ship, he rushed back ( I stayed at the site and waited very anxiously ) to the ship and got Stephanie's camera....this is the result. We sure looked very hot and sweaty!
I thoroughly enjoyed our Copenhagen "adventure"! Stephanie said she would LOVE to go back to visit again! It's her favorite city on this trip!
(lesson learned: just don't try to hail a taxi from the street on a hot Sunday in Copenhagen)!

35 comments:

Simone said...

Beautiful photos Virginia! So glad you got to meet some fellow HA fans despite the hiccups! lol Such a fun and wonderful post. Can't wait to see more :)

Jennifer said...

Sounds like one jam-packed day! I am thrilled for you that you had such a fabulous family vacation -- I know those are memories you'll treasure always! Thanks for sharing -- and introducing us to some fellow HA friends!

Nice to have you back! :)

alexandra s.m. said...

I have truly enjoyed this tour Virginia!
I want to go to Copenhagen too now ;-)

TFS~

Barb said...

Love this fun post - beautiful photos! So awesome you were able to meet Katarina and Anette! Thanks for another fab tour, Virginia!

Karin Åkesdotter said...

You really got the best of Copenhagen - what a wonderful trip you've had - so fun to read about places so familiar - can't wait for your next posts!
Hugs, Karin

Miriam Prantner said...

So glad you're sharing these photos Virginia! I love the sand castles AND David's determination to get a photo with the Little Mermaid - you got it and he has a great story to tell!

Brenda said...

Super photos and a great story. Thanks so much for sharing.

Laura B. said...

I feel so lucky to travel the world through your posts! Love everything, sweat and all!

Sheila H said...

Great photos of a fun filled day! Thanks for sharing, Virginia.

Cindy C. said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos and highlites of the trip, it's like I am there with you!! :)

Harriet said...

Virginia....lovely photos, thanks for a taste of Copenhagen.

Kelly Griglione said...

Those pastries ... yumm! And I can feel your stress about being late in a foreign country without being able to contact your friends. I'm sure they understood and expected that though. Beautiful pictures again (love the picture of the waitress whizzing by ... so artsy!)

Gerry said...

Wow - I am so envious of you and your trip. I want to go!!! Thank you for sharing it all with us. Gerry

Linda R said...

Oh my goodness. I just love all your photos. Now I want to go to Copenhagen.. It looks wonderful there.. Looks like you had a great time. So happy for you!

Hugs~

Kara Lynne said...

Such moments to remember! So sorry about the delay, I would be beside myself! Your pictures are wonderful. I love David's determination to get that pic too.

chrystinanoel.com said...

Looks like you're having a blast, awesome!! Love the Legos. Also, David amuses me :)

sheila said...

wonderful pictures Virginia....thank you so much for sharing! I love to travel and always found it to be so fun to take the kids...they see life so differently and that makes the trips more fun!

Katarina said...

Virginia, you make me laugh with your tale of this lovely day. It was so worth waiting for you - we had a great day together.
And yes, Copenhagen is a beuatiful city with lots to see. Even I, despite living so close, haven't seen all the sights.
Tell Stephanie she's welcome to come back anytime, maybe combined with a visit to Sweden and Malmö? I'd love to show here around.

Pia said...

What a wonderful report from one of my favourite cities! I am SO SORRY that I was not able to meet with you guys. It would have been fabulous!
I can tell you had a great time! Maybe some time in the future ;)) Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos!

hilde said...

Oh my, what a stress! BUT, absolutely lovely photos!!

Alice Wertz said...

that was quite an adventure indeed! glad that all worked out at the end and you had a good time with Anette and Katarina. thanks for all the beautiful photos and stories, too! love reading it! =)

Darnell J Knauss said...

Thanks, Virginia! You've save me thousands of dollars letting me share your adventure to these places via your wonderful photos!! Now if I can just convince the Mister that I now have thousands of dollars to spend on stamping . . .

Donna Bowman said...

Looks like a fun trip and a great city!! The "adventures" just give you good stories later. How boring it would be if everything went at planned!!

Vic Lau said...

What an adventure! Beautiful photos!

Annette said...

aww how fun...great photos...

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLO, Virginia!!! I miss you!!!

These pics are amazing! We just got back from a week cruise to the Bahamas! We loved it and now I think I want to go on the cruise you just did! LOVE LOVE LOVE:)

Hope you are doing well!!! I've missed stopping by--hopefully I will be back on track starting tomorrow:) Please tell the fam HI!!! LOVE YOU tons;)

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

I always enjoy your fab vacation photos, Virginia! Thank you so much for sharing them with us all. :)

Anita Rex said...

I love this post Virginia! What a great day! I loved how real it was with your honest sharing! So wonderful that Anette and Katarina met up with you! Oh and I never knew about the little Mermaid statue, I will have to take Ariel there one day!

donna mikasa said...

Wow! I feel like I joined the Lu family on their Copenhagen adventure! Such fabulous photos--Steph is an awesome photographer!--and I'm so happy you got to meet up with Anette and Katarina! And those food shots...yum!! Thanks so much for sharing, V!

MarcyK924 said...

OH, this makes me want to go there! Beautiful photos and wonderful subjects! Can't wait to hear all about it! XOXO

Melissa Shea said...

Oh my! What an adventure! I would have had a little anxiety attack myself! Maybe you worked off those DELICIOUS looking pastries with all the sweat and double backing! The photos are gorgeous!!! So crisp and clear.

Karen from MI said...

Hi Virginia! What a FABULOUS blog post, complete with WONDERFUL photos. I feel as if I was vacationing right along side you and your family! :) So happy that you've been able to meet so many Hero friends and especially Katarina and Anette! What a BONUS to an already SPECTACULAR vacation! :) Welcome home! xo

Julie Hoffman said...

Gorgeous pictures Virginia, they look professional! Looks like a fabulous vacation!

Bethany Stellpflug said...

gorgeous photos! It looks like you had so much fun! those danish pastries looks good :)

Chris and Paige Evans said...

So interesting how 3 years later it looks the exact same!!