Saturday, September 8, 2012

Cruising with Virginia (Part 3-Germany)

Join me on part 3 of our Baltic cruise....our second port of call is Germany's northern seaport (Warnemunde). This was the view from the cruise ship. Isn't it a quaint little town?
We explored on our own (instead of taking expensive excursions with the cruise ship) around the cities since I wanted to make good use of my broken German! My family were willing to let me do all the communicating when we were out and about. 
(Virginia at the train station)
The train station is only a 10-minute walk from the cruise ship.
 Warnemunde is a popular vacation spot for Germans. It has the largest sandy beach on the German Baltic Sea coast and stretches out over a length of 3 km.
 While we were in town, we didn't forget to check out the German pastries--yum! 
 Clean and pleasant street--Alexandrinenstraße. It's just as you would expect from a German town.
We found the local super market and we went wild at the sight of the assorted gummy candy! I "allowed" my two big kids to choose a couple to take home.
After this brief visit to Warnemunde, we took a half hour taxi ride to Rostock. I asked several questions to the young taxi driver and through him, I got a sense of what it's like to live in this northern city. I know my kids cringed when I asked about unemployment and social problems...After all, it was part of East Germany back in 1990!  Rostock is now a lovely city! We explored the magnificent St. Mary's Church Marienkirche.
 This majestic medieval astronomical clock is the only one of its kind still in working condition with its original clockworks. It offers a wide variety of data that was set to run till 2017 (wonder what happens after that!?).
 We took a stroll in the New Market Square near the town hall.

The Rostcok city hall (PINK!)
After spending the day in the German town, we had a huge Bavarian party with a German brass band called "Oom-Pa-Pa" on the top deck of the ship....Wunderbar!
What can I say?
(Town Square Cafe in Rotstock) 
Life is Beautiful! 
 PS: our family vacation was featured in Holland America Blog thanks to a blog contest that David won. He had won us some amazing freebies!  

30 comments:

Lin said...

Thank you, Virginia, for these wonderful pictures! Though I've not been in these towns themselves, they remind me so much of our time years ago spent in Europe....I agree, German towns are always so clean! Did you see any little German grammas out sweeping the street in front of their homes?
What a wonderful experience to share with your children! I want to go back!!

Laura B. said...

Such gorgeous photos!! Brings back so many memories from living in Germany, the streets, the shops, the gummy candy and the pastries. Thanks for sharing!

Barb said...

Awesome photos, Virginia! Did I ever tell you that my hubby was born in Germany? In a little town called Bottrop. And how cool that your family was featured on the Holland America Blog! (love that photo of Stephanie and David!) Thanks for taking us along on your amazing trip!

Brenda said...

Such wonderful photos...I'm convinced to add a few more destinations to my every growing travel wish list. Thanks for sharing all this with us!

Katarina said...

You describe everything so nicely, Virginia and I love your photos. What an amazing trip you had, can't wait to read the rest.

Miriam Prantner said...

Wow! Way to go David! Virginia, you should have let him get some more gummy candy, ha ha. I'm really enjoying your vacation recaps!

Bethany Stellpflug said...

my last name is german...it comes to down meaning "farmer" which really fits for our family...since we raise chickens and ducks and have a pumpkin farm! I love that pink city hall! and that candy!!!!

Harriet said...

Virginia....Thank you for the tour.

Rose said...

i agree with Miriam, David deserves more gummy candy!! :)
i LOVE "traveling" with you threw your photos :)

Darnell J Knauss said...

Again ... what can I say? Except, thank you!!

Gayatri said...

Beautiful pictures and the food looks yum! I love pasteries and my mouth is watering looking at them lol! Looks like you had an amazing trip, Viriginia!
BTW: We are book for the Vancouver-Alaska trip for June 2013. Then will stay over at LA for another 10 days. Very excited. Cannot wait:)

alexandra s.m. said...

I learn so many things thanks to you my Friend!
You make everything so entertaining and fun!

Many thanks ~

Anita Rex said...

Lovely photos Virginia! When we were in Germany my mom practiced her broken German too! :> But we ran across people who wanted to practice there english with us!

Dawn said...

Thanks for sharing these fabulous photos Virginia. I am so pleased that it was such a successful trip for you as a family. Such fun!

Linda R said...

What amazing photos my friend. I am so glad you shared you trip with us.

Hugs~

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Awesome photos, Virginia! I love seeing all of the architecture, and the display of gummy candy! YUM!

Melissa Shea said...

Germany is beautiful! And I think if you're asking your cabbie about social and economical issues your German isn't THAT broken! The pictures you all are taking are gorgeous! Congrats to David for the winning the contest too!

Lisa A. said...

I've LOVED looking at all your beautiful pictures, Virginia!! Germany looks absolutely lovely...what a wonderful time you all must have had:)!!

Monika Reeck said...

oh dear Wunderbar alle Fotos sind seeehr schoeen und..schade dass du nicht nach Muenchen kommst :( ich werde sehr froh wenn ich mit dir treffen kann :) ich freue mich das du und deine Familie waren in Deutschland gewesen :) schoenen Tag noch und wann sehen wir uns Virginia?

Cathy A said...

Thanks for sharing your holiday photos, looks so pretty there.

Kara Lynne said...

How gorgeous and wonderful! Good for you for using your German, that adds so much to the adventure!

pcm said...

Wow! go David!

Annette said...

wow totally awesome pics...thanks for sharing...

Robin K. said...

My mouth is watering after looking at that pic of the pastries!!! Thanks for sharing these bits of your vacation with us!!

Judy1223 said...

Thanks for sharing such awesome pictures from your time in Germany...I was there in the 1990's and remeber being amazed at how clean it is...and such pretty architecture, and the colors...amazing! Your pictures capture it all!

Handmade Cards by Archana said...

Wow!!!Nice to see you here in Germany.I live in Neu-Ulm which is in bavaria...and yes,U are right..you go to any part of germany and you will find the clean streets...which i hv not seen anywhere in the world.
Liebe Grüße
Archana

Wida said...

cool pics Virginia. It looked like an amazing trip! I love the buildings architecture most of all! Glad you are back in the swing of things.

aaga said...

Thanks for sharing a lot of infos and pics about our old Europe! Next time you'll have to visit Hungary, too. *wink-wink* I couldn't love more your blog!

Alice Wertz said...

thanks for taking me to those German cities with your beautiful post, V!! i love it! =)

Chris and Paige Evans said...

So fun to read through your post and see these places again! They look pretty much the same three years later! :)