Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cruising with Virginia --Part 4 Helsinki

BREAKING news!
 I am off to Scrapfest in Minneapolis with Dr. John after all (see my previous post here). Life sure plays tricks on us! Yesterday Dr. John was feeling 50-60% better with his Vertigo problem and he checked with the doctor...it's a GO! I couldn't believe that I re-booked the whole thing all over again. I pretty much got everything back for the booking--except I will no longer be taking the Lawn Fawn class and will have to pay MORE $ for the hotel that we originally booked. Other than that, it's all good to go! YAY! Thank you so much for your concerns and warm wishes. I read each and every comment from yesterday's post to Dr. John (he still can't handle the computer screen.) Your kind comments touch our hearts tremendously!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let's get on with our virtual tour to Helsinki now....



  Hello! Got time to do some virtual traveling? I am taking you to Helsinki, Finland for part 4 of my Baltic cruise post. Finland, to me, is most famous for the composer Sibelius who composed this masterpiece Findlandia. I remember listening to this music in my junior high school while burning the midnight oil. I always felt so much more energetic after. This music can now describe my visit of Helsinki....it's understated and suspenseful at first, it then leads to some unexpected beautiful wonders!
Helsinki's neoclassical buildings were often used as a backdrop for scenes taking place in the Soviet Union in many cold- war era Hollywood movies, when filming in the USSR was not possible. Movies like Dr. Zhivago (1965), Reds (1981), Gorky Park (1983) were filmed in Finland.
 Helsinki is such a COOL city. It was one of the cooler days during our trip. It was a bit cloudy and rainy, but that didn't damp our spirit of taking a look at downtown Helsinki.
After getting off the ship, we took a bus that took us right to downtown. 
 A view of the Helsinki Harbor (downtown)
 In front of a famous cafe
Streets are mostly paved with cobblestones
 
 Near the harbor,  the local market was still open for business! LOTS of seafood...in fact, they are ALL seafood--salmon, smelts, shrimps...
I was tempted to buy some cans, but I didn't. They would have been too heavy for the luggage! Love these beautifully knitted sweaters!
 Then we went to the biggest shopping department store Stockmann
 Beautiful sight inside Stockmann
Outside the department store...
 The street artists were performing. I would have stayed and listened---but no time!
Cool, huh?  
Helsinki Cathedral is one of the most prominent buildings and symbol of the city.
This concludes our tour to Helsinki! St. Petersburg is my next destination!

34 comments:

Barb said...

Wonderful tour of Helsinki, Virginia! I'm really enjoying the posts of your trip!

I hope your bags are all packed and Dr. John feels even better by tomorrow! I'll be giving you a REAL HUG in about 19 hours! Safe travels! :)

fishydesign said...

AWESOME PHOTOS!!!! It looks like an awesome trip... and jealous of you going to Scrapfest! Looking back at the rest of your photos, and I'm dying to visit Europe, especially Germany (and put my German 100 to use!)

Dawn said...

thanks for sharing these amazing photos Virginia. And SO HAPPY for you and Dr John to be going to Scrapfest after all.

kath said...

so happy that you and Dr John are able to go to Scrapfest...have fun with your HA Flickr buddies...thanks for sharing your Helsinki pics...hugs kath xxx

Anette said...

Thanks for the tour, Virginia, I am really enjoying travelling with you! And so happy to hear dr John feeling better - what a bonus being able to travel after all! ENJOY! And tell us all about it later! Promise??

Donna Bowman said...

Gorgeous photos! Glad you are going to Scrapfest! Have a great time!

Miriam Prantner said...

Yay for Virginia and Dr. John! Have a GREAT time at scrapfest, can't wait to hear about St. Petersburg!

Lynn said...

Your pictures are absolutely amazing! Such a wonderful trip!

And I'm shouting from Cincinnati...have a fabulous time at Scrapfest!!

Kara Lynne said...

Yipee!! So glad you're going! Thanks for the tour of Helsinki, it looks wonderful!

Sheila H said...

Love your pictures! And I'm delighted that Dr. John is better a d you're going to Scrapfest. Have a wonderful time!

kerenbaker said...

Great photos- yay that you can go to Scrapfest- I'd love to go!! Glad that Dr John is feeling better. Hope he has a total recovery really quickly too.!!

Marlena M. said...

I love the tour~thanks Virginia! I'm so glad your husband is feeling better and you can still have some fun. ;)

Maureen Morton said...

Oh, YAY! I knew the good doc would come through! Love these great pix of a city I know little about, but it looks so great. That harbor looks so interesting. Have a great trip and hugs to everyone....I'm there in spirit!

Laura B. said...

So glad Dr.John is feeling better and you're off to scrapfest! I loved your pics of Helsinki!

pcm said...

Congratulations! And I Love these virtual tours.

Mirta Sanchez said...

So glad to hear Dr John is on the mend! Isn't it a wonderful thing how our collective energy can change things?? Happy to hear you get to go on your trip! And I'm loving the armchair trip I'm taking with you-great pics!

Lindsey said...

Have FUN, Virginia!

Brenda said...

So glad that your hubby is feeling better Virginia and that you can still do your Scrapfest trip! And thanks for sharing these gorgeous photos!

Trinh said...

So very glad Dr. John is feeling better and you will be making it to Scrapfest! Your photos of Finland are beautiful. Safe travels!

Harriet said...

Oh, Virginia, I am so glad Dr. John is better and you get to go away. Finland---thank you. Lovely!!!

Linda R said...

YEA!! So glad hubby is feeling better. I hope you have a blast on your trip. I just love seeing your photos. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Hugs~

Annette said...

oh good news...so glad he is feeling better...have a wonderful time..can't wait to see those pictures..

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

SOOOO sorry to hear about Dr. John's vertigo problem!! Hope he feels better ASAP!!!

And I hope you have a fabulous time at Scrapfest! Relax and don't worry about the extra money you have to spend--it's worth it;)

LOVE these pics from your vacation! I def. want to go on that trip now:) <3

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Wow what wonderful pictures!!! So sorry to hear about Dr. John's health issues but just so happy to hear he is doing better!!! And you lucky gal getting to go to the scrapfest can't wait to hear and see what you do there!!! Have a great time!
Lisa

Louise said...

Great photos Virginia!!! What a beautiful trip you are doing.... what memories!

Kelly Booth said...

YAAAAAAAAAAY!!!! So Glad he is better and you get to go on the trip!! So Jealous...Hope to get to Hold that Hero Sign with you someday Sweet Friend! Have a great time.....xoxoxo

Brenda said...

Gorgeous photos! I hope Dr. John has a speedy recovery!

Rose said...

woo hoo!!!!! so glad Dr John is well enough to fly and you get to go on your trip :)

i am enjoying seeing the world thru your trip :)

Melissa Shea said...

yay! so happy you were able to go!!! Can't wait to see pics and hear your re-cap!

Lovely pics again, I just love strolling through each city with you. I learn a lot too!

alexandra s.m. said...

Beautiful post Virginia!
Thank You!!

chrystinanoel.com said...

I'm so far behind on reading (again), BUT I'm uber glad that he's doing better. Enjoy your trip!!

Deirdre said...

Oh wow Virginia, looks like you had an AMAZING trip. Love the photos. Thanks for sharing. Just catching up on everyone's blog after the summer.

Karen said...

What fab photos...well done and looks like a great trip.

Alice Wertz said...

so pretty! beautiful photos once agin. love the virtual tour! =)