Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A Card with Texture

The latest Lawnscaping Challenge's theme seems to be prefect for the cooler temperature that we are experiencing. The textured look gives us a sense of warmth and comfort.

 My card today is a rendition of this (almost) one layer card that I made a few weeks ago.
count your blessings
Except, this time, I used canvas, scored lines, staples and added jute for the textures.  I had fun "painting" the little piece of canvas. I felt as if I were an artist when I painted the background with Tim Holtz Acrylic Paint Dabbers. There was no plan when I painted the background... Somehow it evolved into this.
give thanks
 I water-brushed distress inks (from the ink pad) for colors and then applied SRM Stickers (sentiment) directly over it.  I think I like it!

And lastly, I want to share the latest about my son David.  He is enjoying the Nano Technology program in collage as the Freshman. "It's a LOT of work!" so I was told! This past Saturday, we took a tour of the open house at the new Quantum-Nano Centre. The building is absolutely amazing. This building became possible thanks to the most generous donors --my (former neighbors) friends--Mike and Ophelia! How awesome is that!?  David is looking forward to his undergrad studies in this world-class research facility. And guess what? No matter where I look, I still see hexagons....
In case you didn't see my happy hexagon card , you now understand why I am obsessed with this shape....
I will be back tomorrow to share my guest design for another Fresh Squeezed Stamp new release!

28 comments:

onecraftymama said...

I have to laugh at the hexagons ;)
I love both cards - such a great autumn feel with the colours! Adding texture makes a great rustic feel, and I love the coloured jute!

Rose said...

lol love the hexie building :)
this card is georges!!!! your painted canvas is awesome girl :)

sorry i have missed some of your posts, but right now blogger is giving me tons of grief!!

Mirta Sanchez said...

Really good texture, love the fall colors! Your boy is adorbs!!

donna mikasa said...

Fabulous texture, Virginia! I can just feel it through the photo! And it looks like hexagons are meant to be a part of your life. David looks so happy, too!

~amy~ said...

gorgeous amounts of texture!

Brenda said...

The texture is perfect! It is a gorgeous card.

BabyBokChoy said...

Hexagons in Nano!! how awesome :) Your card is very nicely texturized indeed!

aaga said...

I love that fabric thingy I'll have to give it a try some day.
And no wonder you're proud of your son! Wow!

shirley-bee said...

Loce all the texture on this card, Virginia!

Lalo said...

Congrats on having a hardworking son! Also this card is amazing! Texture...colors...placement...amazing!!!

Julie Hoffman said...

This is beautiful! I love the added texture!

Lynn said...

How incredible for David! And I'm sure your friends love that he is in the program...a true gift!

And your card...I'm in love with the colored twine!

Sheila H said...

Hexagons must be good luck charms for your family! Your card is gorgeous - the textures and colors are awesome, Virginia.

Barb said...

I'm glad to hear David is enjoying his first year so far - fab photo!

I adore your artistic card, V! Beautiful colors! Love the way you added a bit of color underneath the sentiment - so creative! :)

Barbara said...

Your card is beautiful! Perfect for fall! Thanks for sharing!

Karen from MI said...

What a GREAT card and photo!! I just LOVE your inspiring work, Virginia. Love your textures on this card. I also like that you pointed out the HEXAGONS on this BEAUTIFUL building, too. TFS!! Love, Karen xo

Jennifer said...

Virginia, I know I've said this to you at least a hundred times ( ! ) but this is my new favorite card of yours!

Seriously.

Love the colors, love the texture, love that smear of watercolor (?) at the bottom, love it all! Well done!!! :)

pamela said...

Oh I LOVE how you did the sentiment!

Dawn said...

Saw this over in the Flickr group. It is a stunner Virginia. Love the texture of the canvas and the kraft board.

jenn shurkus said...

gorgeous card!! i love the canvas and painty colors :) thanks for playing a long with us at lawnscaping :)

Melissa Shea said...

I love your posts! Both of the cards are just gorgeous! I love the no-plan background canvas. And the swipes of ink with the sticker over top are so inspiring!

Just keep throwing all the "nano" and "technology" out and David will forever be the smartest person I "know".

And a hexagon addict you are!

Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping :)

Annette said...

wow both are amazing...my favorite is the second one...great color combos and love that you stamped on fabric...

Cat Craig said...

Loved your first card from a bit back, I adore the second. So rich and full, am just itching to touch it. Gorgeous.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

I love that you were inspired by your own card--LOVE LOVE LOVE this card! LOVE how you did the sentiment! And I LOOOOOVE that David is doing well in college! FUN!

Jacqueline said...

LOVE your textured fall card Virginia!!

Samantha Mann said...

OMG!!!!!!!! beyond beautiful!!!! i want to hang it on my wall so i can look at it always! it's absolutely gorgeous!

Tamara said...

wow, I love your beautiful card!! Love the coloring on canvas {heart}
Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping
xx Tamara

Alice Wertz said...

your card is so arty and pretty, Virginia! great painting on the canvas and really like the ink strokes for the sentiment, too. wonderful touch!