Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lawnscaping Challenge

I don't know about you, but I find that stamping has evolved so much over the last few years. Since I actively started stamping and blogging in 2009, there are always new techniques and products flooding into the market. Sometimes I asked myself: Do we NEED those fancy products? Honestly, no. But of course, I often succumb to the temptation. After all, the new products do make you get a little more creative than you think you would! Case in point....

Today I am sharing a card with Paint Dabbers (Snow Cap) from Rangers. It really is not a technique, I think, but it's definitely something new for me to try.... I decided to dab the paint on colored Bazzill card stock and created snow hills. With the textured white paint, the snow hills look pretty cool and there are no added bulk to this card. BINGO! I guess this will be fine for the Lawnscaping Challenge!
Season's Greetings
I also did something out of the norm...emboss the trees in Zing Orange Powder. With some fussy cutting of the trees ( 3 are the maximum, otherwise it's too much work) and white embossing for the snowflake/snowballs, this card is done!! At the end, I dressed up the trees by adding the pearls...after all, it's a Christmas card!

My son David is home for the weekend. He survived his first college mid term exams and is happily enjoying some free time! I love having him home....
Hope you have a great weekend!

Lastly, you might want to check this out.....
Here is the CAS-ual Friday's new stamp release sneak peek!
Here is CAS-ual Friday's Challenge BIG announcement, in case you miss seeing it!

35 comments:

lenny said...

This is awesome!
Those trees really pop!
You did a lot of fussy cutting... ;)

Sherry Eckblad said...

What a wonderful card and I love the use of paint daubers as well as the non-traditional winter/holiday colors.

Lynn said...

Wow! Love the orange trees...divine against the sky background!

joy said...

I really LOVE the paint dauber snow hill on this card, Virginia! And the snowflake/dot background is so pretty. I would never have considered making orange trees; but they sure do make the whole card pop! The addition of the pearl garlands is a pretty touch!

Barb said...

This is fabulous! I love the texture of the painted elements and the pop of orange against the blue is unexpected, but fits perfectly! Great design!

Brenda said...

Virginia, the dauber snow looks fantastic. It almost looks like snowflake crystals. I love this approach. Beautiful card and the colors are superb!

shirley-bee said...

Gorgeous, bright card, Virginia! (Is orange your favourite colour by any chance?) I like how you've achieved the snow.

~jan said...

LOVE how those orange trees pop against the lovely background! Love the effect of the dabber! Wonderful card, Virginia!

Ryann Salamon said...

Love the unusual color combination for your winter'y card! Super cute, Virginia!!

Kim S said...

Totally fun and festive!

Enjoy your time with David!

BabyBokChoy said...

Daubered snow is very cool!!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love the way you did the snow and the orange trees!

Harriet said...

Neat idea, Virginia, making snow. Enjoy your weekend.

Barb said...

Good to hear David is home for a break - I'll bet he loves being there too!
Such a fun card, V! I love your orange trees, and the white paint dabber works perfectly for your snow!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

I love the blue and orange on this card, Virginia! Just fabulous. :)

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Fabulous card Virginia! I love the blue and orange together.

Cat Craig said...

Those gorgeous orange trees just light the card up!

Sue McRae said...

Love the fun unconventional colours for this holiday card!

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Love your snowy hills and the zingy orange trees, Virginia! Enjoy your time with David - glad he's enjoying collage!

~amy~ said...

This is wonderful...I adore the colors!!!

alexandra s.m. said...

wow! superb work Virginia!
are you sure you are new at this?
love the effect and these two colors are stunning together!

TFS~

Alice Wertz said...

you are so clever!!! love your snow hills. such a beautiful winter card, Virginia!

Annette said...

really this is just gorgeous...I so so so love it...

Colleen Dietrich said...

Fabulous color combo! It's got such a retro feeling.

Karin Ã…kesdotter said...

WOW! Love your card! Looks like there's the beginning of a snowstorm with that paint effect! Perfect for LS's challenge!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

So beautifully done! I love the white snowy hills!

Tamara said...

wow, great idea to use paint dabbers to create snow, I'm going to try this some time. Lovely card!! Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping:)
xx Tamara

Laurel said...

OH OH! Using paint dabbers to create the snowy hills is a fabulous idea! Just fabulous. Curses, why have I never thought of that...... Loving those embossed orange trees too. They really pop!!!!

So glad you joined us Lawnscaping gals for our technique challenge!!!!

Brenda said...

I enjoy your work regularly. Thank you for sharing your talents! There always lots to admire.

Lynnette said...

Your card is just amazing. Love the idea of using the dabbers to create snow hills, and the non-traditional orange trees work so well. So adorable

Kelly Griglione said...

As I was scrolling down my blog reader, I liked the blue, snowy field, and then I saw those ORANGE trees and said to myself "oh good golly!" This is so fab!!!! And then you go and put those blue beads on the trees ... Virginia, seriously.

Christiana said...

So FUN! And I love the blue and orange together. Thanks for playing with us at Lawnscaping!

chrystinanoel.com said...

I'm torn between whether my favorite part about this card is the blue and orange or the pearls that you used on the trees.

chrystinanoel.com said...

I'm torn between whether my favorite part about this card is the blue and orange or the pearls that you used on the trees.