Wednesday, November 7, 2012

What is Dr. John Thinking?

Last Thursday I did get an acceptance e-mail from the editor Susan Opel of Paper Crafts. Yippee..., I will have a card published in May/June 2013! It's for the "Raid the Kitchen" category! I absolutely love that theme as I felt more creative for themes like that. It has been a while since my cards get published again....so I am glad that the long dry spell has ended----for now.

After the happy e-mail acceptance, Dr. John and I decided to "celebrate"...so he accompanied me to do some craft supply shopping in the local Scrapbooking store. As I was busy browsing for new stuff, he went ahead and approached the sales lady. Dr. John knew that I was looking for the latest Basic Grey paper.  He later told me that the sales lady looked at him funny when he asked for Basic Grey....  he right away explained that the paper were for his WIFE. After all, how ODD is it to have a middle age Asian man asking for Basic Grey ....LOL! I ended up going all out and bought three packs that came in the shop the day before! Score!!!

 I am sharing my guest design work over Scrap RDV with some BG paper! I was asked to make a sketch and a card for their Cardathon. If you like making cards from sketch, then you are in for a treat!  For 30 straight days, they will have holiday cards every single day! I was the first one to kick it off! How awesome, huh? 

Here is my sketch...very "organic", but it worked!!
 Here is my take on the sketch
thanks

This card measures   4 1/4” x 5 1/2”  “thanks”

Supply list:
Card stock:  kraft, white (Michael’s)
Pattern paper: Clippings by Basic Grey
Stamp: Single Starburst by Hero arts
Inks: Fire Brick, Vintage Photo (Distress Inks) by Rangers
Accessories: SRM Stickers (sentiment), light brown button, Acrylic Paint (Snow Cap) by Rangers, 3 D pop Dot (EK Success)
Tools: Fiskar Border punch, staples, Fiskar Micro Scissors

(Yup, I cut up that stamped Starburst image again! )
Thanks so much for stopping by!

33 comments:

Annette said...

your sketch is so awesome and your card is so amazing.. I love everything about it..

Big congrats on your publication and celebrating shopping for more craft supplies..That is my kind of celebrating.... :)

Piali said...

Gorgeous card!! Love BG-Clippings collection...have to get it!

donna mikasa said...

Awesome card and fabulous sketch! Love those BG papers and I can't believe you fussy cut another amazing bloom!

Dawn said...

Congrats of getting a card picked up Virginia... but what a long time to wait till we see it! Your sketch is just beautiful and the card is stunning!

Lynn said...

Too funny...I love your hubby! This is gorgeous...the mix and match banners are awesome Virginia!

joy said...

Big congrats, Virginia! Well-deserved, too - can't wait to see your card. Love your sketch and the card, too - I have that starburst, but have never cut it out and am in awe of how nicely you fussy cut it.

CinnamonSally said...

Congrats on your forthcoming publication Virgina. Fabulous card too love the flower you created.

Brenda said...

Virginia, you ROCK! Congratulations!

stamplover2011 said...

Congratulations Virgina!!! So happy for you to get a card published! Very pretty card! Love the starbust!

Mary said...

Awesome card!Love your starburst...

Cindy C. said...

Congrats on another publication Virgina! This card totally works!! :)

Barb said...

Yippee! I'm so happy for you, V! Congrats on another pub!

LOVE this fabulous card and the way you used that beautiful starburst stamp! Perfect take on the sketch! Hugs! :)

Clare said...

Congratulations Virginia! Can't wait to see what crazy awesome card you have in the issue. :)

Love how you used the bg papers here - I wasn't sure about bg at first, but you do such a good job selling their product! Those strips are so pretty, as is the flower! The staples are the perfect finishing touch!

Melissa Shea said...

Congrats on the pub!!!

I love when our hubs take an interest in our hobby-it's so sweet-mine will do the same :)

I love sketches!!! I'll have to head over & check it out. Gorgeous card & more starburst fussy cutting!

Brenda said...

I saw your card there Virginia! Love the fussy cutting. Congrats on your guest designer spot too!

Linda R said...

How exciting. Congrats to you my friend. Love the card you made here.
Your fussy cutting look wonderful.

Hugs~

Sheila H said...

Your fussy cutting is amazing. Love your sketch! And I contine to love your Dr. John stories :). Congrats on having your card chosen for publication.

Miriam Prantner said...

Love how well versed Dr. John is with regard to crafty stuff! He must really like you to pay attention so well!

Tina said...

I just love to read your funny stories and the card is so beautiful. Big congrats for the happy mail - I look forward to see your card in print.

paula said...

Congratulations Virginia on getting published. Also on such a wonderful sketch. Your sample card looks amazing & that Starburst looks amazing

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Congrats on the publication! Love the card!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Congratulations!!! YAY!!!! Can't wait to see it! Fabulous work today I love the cutting on this stamp and fabulous brightness against the other papers!

Greta said...

Love this card, Virginia! Congrats on being published again.

Rose said...

huge congrats on your pub girl :)
how fun for Dr J to help you shop!!

love your sketch and card :)

Kelly Griglione said...

YAY HOORAY!! I'm so super excited for you, and to see your card in print next summer!! Your husband is just the best. Maybe he can give your hand a massage ... it must be cramped by now with all that cutting!!!

Kelly Booth said...

Too Funny...I Love That your Hubby supports your Hobby and your card is so fun!! love it V....xoxoxo

shirley-bee said...

Congrats on your acceptance, Virginia! Brave Dr John, to venture into the crafting world - I'd love to have seen the sales lady's face! Love the grungy feel to the card.

pamela said...

Yay for getting published! I can't wait to see the card! And yay for craft supply shopping! Isn't it wonderful to have your hubby support your hobby and would actually go ask the sales lady for you?

MarcyK924 said...

AWESOME news, Virginia!! Now what did Dr. John say when he saw you raid the kitchen, LOL!! He slays me!

I can't for the life of me understand how this card wasn't selected! I'm gobsmacked! You HAVE to write a book - THE FRUGAL CRAFTER! Brilliant card! xoxo

susanne said...

I love your sense of humour:)! Congratulations to you Virginia!!! So thrilled that you're published again!! Wonderful card !! warm wishes,Susanne

alexandra s.m. said...

CONGRATS GF!
and a BIG thank You for your marvelous contribution to the Cardathon ;-)

Hugs~

Alice Wertz said...

fabulous mix of patterns and absolutely adore your sketch! gorgeous card, Virginia! you made a hard to match first day!! =)

Bethany S. said...

beautiful! I love the whole feel of this and the inked edges are just a wonderful touch.