Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mediterranean Cruise (Part 4)

How perfect is it to share my travel post with you on a Sunday! This is my later part of the day in Rome. After touring the Colosseum, we then visited the Vatican City.
(photos from top--clockwise: tickets to the Vatican Museum, museum sign, the Swiss Guard outside the St. Peter's Square, introduction/map/guides of the Sistine Chapel's )

Starting from the outside of the Vatican Museum...
 Once we stepped inside, we couldn't help being marveled at the floors, ceilings and displays....
 The Vatican Library and the collections of the Vatican Museums are of the highest historical, scientific and cultural importance.
After a really fast walk-through, before you know it, we were outside the museum. A glance from the St. Peter's Square.
 Next stop is the famous Sistine Chapel
Inside the chapel, it was dark and very crowded...we were also advised to keep very quiet because it is a holy place . Therefore, we were in a room full of hundreds of quiet tourists....I must admit, it was not that pleasant! 

Here is a virtual tour of the chapel , allowing visitors a close-up view of figures in the frescoes. Apart from the sweat and steam the tourists (like me) bring into the chapel, the sheer number of visitors has been criticized for giving the space the feel of a busy train station, complete with pickpockets (watch out!)!

The Creation of Adam is the most well-known of the Sistine Chapel fresco panels, and its fame as a piece of art is rivaled only by the Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci. The image of the near-touching hands of God and Adam has become one of the single most iconic images of humanity and has been reproduced in countless imitations and parodies. So.very. awe-inspiring....
After the Chapel, we were scurried off to the majestic St. Peter's Basilica. I was speechless as I entered the Basilica as it is absolutely massive!
In the following photo, the balcony (above the door) is where Pope Benedict XVI greets the crowds and gives his speeches. Alas, Pope was not there that day...
 The Holy Door or 'Porta Sancta' is only open during a Holy Year (Jubilee), which occur every 25 years (the last one in 2000).
 The Pieta by Michelanglo in the north aisle
 close-up
 A glace outside the St. Peter's Square
Are you amazed?
I didn't know how much I could take in one afternoon after seeing such these magnificent buildings, paintings, sculptures. It was definitely an afternoon to remember.

Have a blessed Sunday!

22 comments:

Annette said...

wow I feel like I was there too...great pictures..

Laura B. said...

Stunning photos of the Vatican! I voted for your gorgeous card, too!

Barb said...

Wow! Amazing photos, Virginia!

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

Virginia, I went to Rome back in 2001 and I think I went and saw pretty much everything you did! Thank you for helping me to re-live it with your beautiful photos!

Angela said...

You are a wonderful photographer! These photos brings back all the memories of our recent visit. My camera could not handle it. Thank you so much for sharing!

Jill Norwood said...

Oh you just brought back so many memories from my tour of Italy! I came to your blog from the MUSE challenge and was so happy when I hit to see your newer posts and came upon my beloved Italy! I am Italian and so loved traveling to where my family is from!
Thanks for sharing!
:) Jill

Laura Norris said...

Wonderful photos!! Thanks for sharing your vacation with us. It is a beautiful city.

Miriam Prantner said...

Gorgeous photos! Wonderful!

Dawn Turley said...

Oh boy did I love this one Virginia. We went to St Pauls on a Sunday afternoon and went to Mass at the High Altar... all in Latin but at least we knew when to genuflect etc being Catholics. And I totally aree with you about the Sistene Chapel. We had a 2 hour queue to get into to the Museum. Thanks for reminding me of a wonderful trip. You seemed to have such a great time.

Katie Gehring said...

I love your travel recaps! Thank you for taking us with you on your adventures! Gorgeous photos!

Ginny said...

Oh my gosh, your photos are amazing. I think if I ever get to visit the Vatican, I will be speechless. I won't be able to believe I'm there!! Your pictures really make me want to go so much. The Pieta looks so beautiful. But then again, everything looks spectacular. Thanks so much for sharing these pictures.

donna mikasa said...

Breathtaking photos, Virginia--thank you for the virtual tour! The Sistine Chapel is my absolute favorite!

Sandra said...

WOW - these pictures re great! Brought back memories .... we were there not too long ago .... but your pictures look better than mine!
Sandra ltb

Laura Jane said...

Thanks for the tour!!! It's been a texural art heaven:)

Karen from MI said...

Oh Virginia, AMAZING does not even do your day/blog post justice!! I sure wish I could think of a better word to describe what I feel as I "traveled" right along side you, while reading your post!! BREATHTAKING and brought to tears..........thanks for sharing and allowing me to tag along with you and your family. :) xoxo

Theresa said...

These photos of your trip have been such a treat to look through, Virginia! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share them with all of us! I'm so glad that you and your family were able to enjoy this amazing time together!

Kelly Griglione said...

You should be a travel-blogger on the side! No, wait, then you'd have less time to post your crafty creations. So maybe just continue to share them with US, k? What stands out the most to me is the ceiling shot of The Creation of Adam. I'm so used to seeing just that section, that I forgot it's just a TINY part of that whole ceiling. Amazing!!

alexandra s.m. said...

Wow! It's even more beautiful than what I had seen in books...I have never been but you make me want to go...

Thank You Virginia!

mimijudy1975 said...


You are so generous and caring to share all of these beautiful photos of The Vatican. I am going to save them in a special folder. I can only imagine how impressive it was to actually be right there among all the beauty and history.. Please continue to bring us these wonderful pictures and your comments of your trip. Bless you, Virginia.

Karen said...

wow...gorgeous photos and looks like wonder to me since I have never really travelled anywhere...

Rose said...

amazing!!!! :)

Alice Wertz said...

thanks for taking me to Rome once again, Virginia! gorgeous photos. love seeing them and reading about your experience!