Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mediterranean Cruise (Part 5)

Ready to tour Pompeii with me and my family? When we reached Pompeii, as part of the bus tour package, we were invited to visit a handicrafts shop. And that's where we started the Pompeii visit---how convenient!! I think they were trying to sell us tourists something...
 
These intricate and details Cameos are made with sea shells. It is quite an amazing process!
( work tools for crafting the cameos)
 These intricate silhouette pendants look absolutely stunning! Want one? It's only $4,450 Euros ( $ 6000 US)! Dr. John decided to take a photo and asked me to admire instead!

Well, let's go to Pompeii and explore the ruins....
The following photo shows Mount Vesuvius in the background.
 Pompeii was lost for nearly 1700 years before its rediscovery in 1748. Since then, its excavation has provided an extraordinarily detailed insight into the life of a city at the time.
Today, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is one of the most popular tourist attractions of Italy, with approximately 2,500,000 visitors every year. And of course, the following photos reminded us how horrific it was when Mount Vesuvius erupted on its last day...
Plaster cast of one of the victims
 There were the stoves! I didn't feel like cooking that day...
My two kids and I walked on the paved streets
 And before there were Legos, there was this.... (Dr. John's observation). Alexia posed with the BRICK!
 My family stood in front of a house.
Alert------>we came across the brothel in one of the streets! Thank goodness, my kids are all over 18! No need to explain (insert a bashful face)
You can click on it for larger view ;)
 Finally we came to the half-circle theater!
  It was quite impressive!
(photo credit: Stephanie Lu)
 With this spectacular photo (yup, that sky is THAT blue), we now conclude our tour to Pompeii! We will be off to Sicily NEXT! Ciao!

21 comments:

Barb said...

Wow, what an amazing place! Looks like you had a gorgeous day while visiting Pompeii! Beautiful photos, V! Had to giggle at Dr. John's Lego comment! :) Can't wait for your next Mediterranean post!

Dawn Turley said...

I felt like I was back there Virginia. Wasn't it an amazing place! I was blown away with all the history. Did you buy some cameo? I did! Just a teeny tiny one though!
Thanks for sharing

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

I am loving taking this cruise with you Virginia! Thank you for all the wonderful photos - cannot believe that sky!! Really fascinating seeing Pompeii (I've never been) - must have been quite an experience.

Sheila H said...

Your photos are so interesting and beautiful, Virginia. It's a lot of fun to travel with you :)

Besthobbyeva said...

Wow your travels take you all over the world!! Your pictures are amazing and help us feel like we are in Pompeii!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Laurie

Annette said...

wow this is fantastic... you are so fun to share you pictures.. you have me wanted to hop on a plane and go right now... so beautiful..amazing the history...

Tasnim said...

Wow, loved this virtual tour!! Your photos are awesome and so interesting, and I love how you present them in a story like fashion!
( I laughed at the lego comment!)
P.S I have yet to check out parts 2,3 and 4!

Miriam Prantner said...

Dr. John needs to dig deep....you need a cameo! Hee hee. What a cool process, and I love the pictures from Pompeii....that's a place I'd love to see someday!

Susan F. said...

Thank you so much for sharing these photos. It's fascinating to see Pompeii. The cameos are gorgeous.

donna mikasa said...

All I can say is Alexia is one lucky tourist to tag along with the Lu family! Thank you so much for sharing!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Thanks for the tour, so fun!

Dianne said...

Wonderful pics thanks so much, I really enjoyed seeing Pompeii...

Cindy C. said...

Thanks for the virtual tour Virginia! Beautiful pics!

alexandra s.m. said...

Wow! Thank you so much....what a fantastic visit!!
YOu made me laugh, and you moved me and you inpired me once again!
Thank You!!!!!

Sandy Ang said...

such amazing views of pompeii. just love them. takes me back to my vacation years ago

Robin K. said...

Thanks for the tour of Pompeii Virginia! I showed the pics to my hubby too as we opted for the trip to Capri when we were in Italy in 09. While we loved Capri(so magical!) we do regret not having the time to see Pompeii-looks like a fascinating place!

Wida said...

I loved the tour. I feel like I was there with the vividness of the photos. I always wanted to see Pompei. closest I got was the museum locally. We just don't get this kind of history here in the states.

Linda R said...

Once again I have to thank you for sharing your photos. I loved them..

Hugs~

Rose said...

i am loving your photos :) Dr John is funny seeing legos and passing on the $6000 cameo was wise!! lol

Kelly Griglione said...

Thanks for taking me with you again! The plaster casts of the Pompeii-ans are so disturbing. I'd love to go there IRL someday, hopefully with the kids like you did. They are so lucky to be traveling with their parents ... they will always look back on these trips and feel so grateful to have the opportunity!

Alice Wertz said...

it's amazing to see the city preserved so well under all the ashes after all those years. thanks for sharing!