Thursday, April 11, 2013

You Are Pretty Amazing

Hello and thank you (for stopping by)! I 'd like to share a card I made for a past Paper Crafts submission call. This card is very similar to the card that was published in the current May 2013 issue from Paper Crafts on p. 31. I love it just as much as the one got published! 
 you're pretty amazing
Stamps: CAS-ual Fridays (sentiment), Neat and Tangled (little Tangle)
Others: coffee filters (with distress inks). You can see the tutorial how I made the flowers if you miss seeing it.

I thought I would also share my entries from last year's Stamping Royalty! I am rather new in submitting to contests such as these. After all, card-making really is just a hobby for me...until I submit my cards to publications, challenges and contests! I never thought about getting published or getting major recognition when I started stamping back in the mid 90s! It was simply a way to cope and calm my nerve when I had to deal with a needy baby boy such as this little cutie--my son David!
 Now that this boy is in college, I am on a full force with card-making! It's funny how these different stages can affect your focus in life.
 Last year when I made these cards, I was quite proud how far I had come with card-making. I didn't win the Stamping Royalty, but seeing these cards again make me realize how much I love card-making/stamping!
Sorry for the poor photo! I took the photo the night before I sent them off to the post office. This year I did the same thing--made a few cards and submitted. You have to be in it to win, right?

Here was my conversation with Dr. John two weeks ago....
Dr. John: Why did you have to go to the post office?
V: To mail off some cards for Stamping Royalty, not gonna win, I know....
Dr. John: Yup, I know (nodding agreeably).
V: "Thanks" for the vote of confidence!

To make myself feel better, I imagine this was the response I get after sending my cards off...
Mr. Darcy (aka Collin Firth) sure makes the world a much kinder and gentler place, huh?  Now if you are feeling down about card-making in general, please think of this photo! And in case you are wondering about my Ryan Gosling posts...well, he is not disappearing that fast yet. One can never have too many eye candy, right? 

PS: big thanks to Lenny, Dawn T., Sheila H., Annette A., gRiSeL, Miriam P., Loly B.-T., Barb E., Barb Ghig, Linda R., Angi B., Tracey M., Taheerah, Cindy, Julie H. Greta, Laura B. and Nat for leaving me some blog love over SRM blog yesterday. You are the BEST! (edited: please note that there is a SRM Sticker giveaway today. Check here)

33 comments:

Annette said...

First of all congrats on being published.. I seen your card and it is gorgeous.. You are an amazing designer.. Second don't be so hard on yourself. You have a great chance to winning. I think we all give our best and just remember you are inspiring to so many crafters and that is the best honor of all.. :)

Good Luck my friend..

Vic Lau said...

Wow, I'm so in love with your card! I just love that punch of colours with the flowers. The tutorial is great! I did so many coffee filter flowers with my daughter but never thought to make it with my cards. Thanks the inspiration!

Congrats on your recent publications!!

Barb said...

My Paper Crafts magazine arrived today and I found your card right away - it's a beauty, V and I love this one too! I need to try making some coffee filter flowers soon so pretty! Congrats on another fabulous pub and best of luck in the Stamping Royalty contest - I'm rooting for you, my friend! :)

Jennifer said...

This is a gorgeous card! Congrats on being published, I have yet to submit to a mag but I did enter S.R. So good luck to us both!

You know how I feel about Ryan (LOL) but I am willing to see Mr. Darcy too....

Dawn Turley said...

last years cards are delightful and good luck with this years contest. Love the flowers on your first card. And always happy to visit and see your gorgeous cards.

Lynn said...

I love all your cards...they are so amazing. Your use of colors is always amazing Virginia!

Sheila H said...

Congratulations on being published, Virginia. I haven't received my new Papercrafts magazine yet, and I can't wait until I do so I can see your card. Best of luck to you in the contest. I want you to know that I definitely consider you Stamping Royalty. (Today's card is amazing - the flowers are spectacular!)

joy said...

Ditto to what Sheila just said! You are stamping royalty all the time!! Congrats on being published and I have a feeling you will be picked this year in the contest, dear Virginia.

Tammy said...

Way to go on being published Virginia!! I've always thought about submitting, but have never got around to it! I LOVE your card. Those flowers are stunning--going to check your tutorial!

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

Beautiful card Virginia!! I love those blooms so much!!

And thanks for sharing a picture of your previous Stamping Royalty entries. I feel so antsy that I can't participate! [sobs]

And thanks for the thanks. :-) I love your work, so it was a pleasure to comment on. :-)

aaga said...

Colin knows it the best! ;-)

Betty said...

your card is beautiful and well- deserved to be published - many congrats

Kelly Booth said...

LOVE this Card V....Huge Congrats!! xoxoxo!!

Miriam Prantner said...

I always love your coffee filter flowers, gorgeous. And I have confidence in your Stamping Royalty cards! Hopefully we will all find out soon!

Laura B. said...

Oh my! Those coffee filter flowers are beautiful!!!

lenny said...

Congrats on the publication!! AWESOME!!! Gorgeous card!!! LOOOOVE those big flowers!! They're stunning!
And that Mr Darcy photo...yummy... :)
Even better than the Ryan Gosling blog buttons...You're spoiling us, Virginia! LOL ;))

conil said...

Gad, I'd be over the moon if I was even considered to be published. In your case, Mr. Darcy is right, I ardently admire your skill too.

Barb Ghig said...

I am in awe of your cards that you created with 'coffee filters', Virginia! This one is just as pretty as the one that was published :-)

I hope you will try again for Stamping Royalty this year...your cards are so beautiful, and I would love to see you recognized for your talents!

I have a David, too! He's grown now (32) and I'm certain that I have the same photo of him climbing a tree at that age...little boys are such rascals, but we will NEVER starve for a hug from them!

I am inclined to agree with Mr. Darcy about your talents, Virginia...I think you should keep him around, too!

Have a great day...Hugs!

Lin said...

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you, Virginia!! Love everything on your blog today, especially that darling one of David......I have one of our David and a tree...if I can find it, I'll email you with it. Hugs, little sis!

Julie Hoffman said...

Love the coffee filter flower card! I love that you find ways to use every day household items in your cards! David is adorable. Your cards for stamping royalty last year are beautiful! I would vote for you. Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog and SCS tutorial yesterday. I need to start stalking my mail man for the May issue! I think that covers it.

donna mikasa said...

Oh, I just LOVE your coffee filter flowers! Must give your tutorial a go. Congrats on being published in CARDS and no matter what the Stamping Royalty outcome, you'll always be my inspiration Queen! =)

Laura Jane said...

I'll see if I can find that MAG to day! CONGRATULATIONS on the published card.
I'm checking out the tut after this too.
You know, I dream of the time when my DH will say what Mr.Darcy said about. I'll be patient;)

BabyBokChoy said...

Yes I agree with Mr. Darcy, I ardently admire your cards!! :)

Alice Wertz said...

i adore your coffee filter flowers, V!! love love the happy colors on this one. it's a shame that they didn't take it! more congrats on more pubs, too!!!! I know you are going to win this year!! =)

jusaweecatnap said...

Love the card. Those flowers are gorgeous. Love your "eye candy" too. And your jokes! Just finished watching North and South (mini series) with Richard Armitage, speaking of eye candy. Right up there with Colin Firth. I never bother showing my DH my cards. More fun to have imaginary conversations, eh.

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Love the flowers from coffee filters! You are already stamping royalty to me! Would love to see more from Colin too.

Linda R said...

Your flowers looks so pretty. Love the cute card my friend. And Your son looks so cute. They sure do grow up fast.

Hugs~

Kelly Griglione said...

However the Stamping Royalty contest turns out, you will always be Queen of Coffee Filter Flowers to me : ) You do them so darn well! AH-dorable picture of little David in the tree. Bet it seems like yesterday, right?

And aren't you a little worried that Ryan might see that you've invited someone else to whisper sweet nothings to your readers?!?

Barb Murphy said...

those flowers are so much like poppies! gorgeous. you're so brave to send off cards to SR and the like. I chicken out every time thinking about how many other crafters are submitting. lol

Jocelyn said...

hehehe this was a great post. Thanks ^_~

Tasnim said...

Reading your posts is fun and relaxing! This card is simply stunning, love those flowers...so gorgeous! And thanks for sharing your last year's stamping Royalty cards. You are right, you have to be in it to win it. I hope you win this time, for you do make some of the most beautiful stamped cards!

Suzanne said...

Dr. John! What the heck, Man?

You go, girl!!!!!!!!!

Angie Tieman said...

Mr. Darcy, what a treat! Love your beautiful card with those amazing flowers and swirls!! I consider your major stamping royalty! :)