Sunday, May 5, 2013

Mad about... Mad Men (Part 2)

Today is part 2 of the Mad about...Mad Men Sunday series.
Here is Part 1 in case you missed seeing it.
I am using the photo of Joan Harris from Season 6.
 
 Joan Harris (played by the sassy Christina Hendricks) is the super woman of the advertising world in the 60s. She is definitely strong and...oh. so.very.sexy! Wouldn't you agree that she is quite captivating?
Here is a video for you to get acquainted...if you have never met Joan.
My inspired card ( a literal approach)
hello beautiful
 Supplies: Style is Eternal (Hero Arts), Mums the Word (Cas-ual Fridays Stamps),  sentiment ( Fresh Blooms from Neat and Tangled), ribbon trims from May Arts, Basic Grey (Knee High),

Here are some of Joan's famous quotes:
“Stop dressing like a little girl.” 
“He may act like he wants a secretary, but most of the time they’re looking for something between a mother and a waitress.” 
“That’s life. One minute, you’re on top of the world. The next, some secretary is running over your foot with a lawn motor.” 

 I was not entirely satisfied with just one card inspired by Joan, so I made another one! For my 2nd card, I used water coloring for the flower and the background. I am entering it for the watercoloring challenge over Moxie Fab World.
 the world
 Supplies: Lucille Be Silly, Distress inks (Dusty Concord, Bundled Sage, Tumbled Glass, Feathered Peacock), Detailed Water Brush by Ranger, sequins (Neat and Tangled)
Happy Sunday :)

26 comments:

Romaine said...

Fab-u-Lous, Virginia! And I do think that Christina Hendricks is stunning! I have not seen season 6 yet, but I am hoping she finds love! :0)

Dawn Turley said...

Both are just awesome Virginia. Great use of your inspirational photo of Joan.

Greta said...

Your brain must never sleep! How do you constantly have such wonderful ideas?! These are 2 great cards, Virginia!

Stampn'HI said...

Both are amazing, the first is just lain fun and the second very elegant...definitely captivating like the character!

lenny said...

Both cards are fabulous!!
Love how you got inspired!!
Can't wait to see the next post of this blog post series!!
Awesome idea!!
Hava a great Sunday, Virginia! :)

Lynn said...

Absolute perfection! I love the gorgeous purple toned cards inspired by Joan!

*Jennyfer Leung* said...

Both are gorgeous! How do you keep getting these wonderful ideas? Btw, what do u use to glue the sequins:-)

joy said...

I've never watched Mad Men, but I am enjoying your beautiful cards inspired by this program! Love the watercolored card the best!!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Fun series on your blog! The second card is my fav!

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

Such a fun idea for a series! Both are great cards but I really love the first one especially!!

Karen said...

love it!!
Hope all is well with you and yours. I thought of you the other day when I made my lightbulb moment card! lol
hugs,
K

Barb said...

Yay - another Mad Men inspired card! Love these posts, V! Your first card is fabulous and so much fun! And I love the gorgeous watercolor background and pretty flower on your second card!

(I sent you a Flickr message. . .)

Angi Barrs said...

Loooove this Virginia. I must check out the show when I'm off this summer.

Carol McCready said...

Love your post. The cards are
great.

Tracey McNeely said...

Both fantastic cards Virginia! I love the May Arts fuzzy ribbon on the first and the flower is gorg on the second. I have never watched Mad Men but here it is so fantastic! Happy Sunday!

Brenda said...

Love all that purple Virginia!

Barb Ghig said...

Love your fun card for your Mad Men series...great paper piecing and colors! Your watercoloring is gorgeous, Virginia...and the flower is so pretty!
Happy Sunday to you!

Miriam Prantner said...

I love when you do series Virginia! Loving the contrast of the trim and the triangle print at the bottom of the first card, and gorgeous watercoloring on the second!

Linda R said...

Both your cards look wonderful. I have never watched Mad Men. But I have heard its a great show..

Hugs~

alexandra s.m. said...

You're so funny and I just love the way you look at things and turn them into works of art! Great cards Virginia! Love the inspo ;-)

MarcyK924 said...

Oh, my clever friend, Joan never looked more FABULOUS!! And that watercolor flower in those colors is SO pretty!

Maureen Morton said...

Joan kills me, but I never thought of her as card inspiration material. You just crack me up. Love the rich purples of the first and the light and airy colors of the second. I'll never look at Joan in the same way again, girlfriend. Ha!

Kelly Griglione said...

You're rocking the Mad Men cards ... how very creative of you!! I sure hope to see more in the future. Both are amazing, but I can't take my eyes off that watercolor flower (love the outline showing through on the base).

Katie Ann Brooks said...

oh-la-la! Stunning! I love what you did with that flower!

Cath said...

Hey Virginia! Thanks for linking this up to the Wonder of Watercolor Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Alice Wertz said...

wonderful interpretation of the inspiration photo/character! very different and each is beautiful in its own way. fab work, Virginia!