Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mad about...Mad Men (Part 3) and Mother's Day Card

 
It is my absolute pleasure to share today's Mad Men-inspired series.
My inspiration comes from this iconic poster of Mad Men
 Don Draper (played by the handsome and talented John Hamm) is such a complex character. Here are some of his famous quotes from the show.

“Advertising is based on happiness. We make the lie, we invent want.”  
“Just think about it deeply, then forget it…then an idea will jump up in your face.” 
“If you don’t like what’s being said, change the conversation.”    
“Change isn’t good or bad. It just is.” 
“You want some respect? Go out and get it for yourself.”   
“People tell you who they are, but we ignore it because we want them to be who we want them to be.” 
 My inspired card
I MISS U
With some simple diecut, layering and cutting, I basically "built" the card up from the background. I hope that you like my simple take of the Mad Men-inspired card. There will be more Mad Men-inspired projects in the coming Sundays.

And lastly, since it's Mother's Day today, I want to share the card that I made for my Mother-in-law.I did send this card to my Mom in Taiwan. I am thankful that both of them are in good health.
Mom-your special day (2)
 (you can click on the photo for supplies and instructions)
There will be more Mad Men-inspired projects in the coming Sundays. 
 Yesterday my kids made a special Mother's Day gourmet dinner for me. A lot of thoughts and effort went into preparing this meal. From grocery shopping to menu planning, they went all out!
 
Stephanie was in charge of the menu and main course and David took care of the appetizers and dessert!  
(food photo credit: Stephanie)
 David's Chocolate Souffle was AMAZING! I feel so blessed and loved!
Happy Mother's Day!

29 comments:

Laura B. said...

Oh my! That first one with the negative die cut sentiment is outstanding! LOVE!

Dawn Turley said...

both your cards are just lovely. Your first one is stunning and the one for your MIL is also lovely.

Karine KJ said...

There is always something special in your creations and i like it !! Have a happy mother's day !

Stampn'HI said...

How sweet to make a special menu! Love both cards...can't believe you cut that intricate embossed flower...just beautiful.

Linda R said...

Your cards look wonderful my friend. Happy Mothers day.. Looks like a yummy meal.

Hugs~

Petti said...

Gorgeous cards!

Sheila H said...

Happy Mother's Day, Virginia. Your children gave you a wonderful treat :)
Your cards are so striking. The depth and dimension on the first card is inspiring. I love the background of the Mother's Day card. The bright flower is darling.

joy said...

So sweet of those two kids of yours to make such an elaborate meal - full of LOVE for you!!!

Your skyline card is superb, Virginia! And, the card for your mil is so pretty; she will love it.

Lynn said...

Okay...I truly love your cards the first one in particular with the die cuts. But, the dinner Stephanie and David made you steals the show today! Amazing! I think I need to come visit! xoxo Happy Mother's Day!

Barb Ghig said...

LOVE both of your cards, Virginia!

It looks like your children appreciate you very much...how sweet of them to prepare such a lovely dinner! Happy Mother's Day to you!!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Both cards are fabulous Virginia! I love your cityscape and the card for Mom is so cool. Wow your kids are amazing, so glad you taught them to cook right?

Tracey McNeely said...

Happy Mother's Day to you as well! Sorry I hit publish too quickly. xoxo

Jennifer said...

Awesome cards....happy Mothers Day. Sounds and looks like your kids made you an amazing dinner!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Fabulous cards! The dinner looks wonderful! Happy mother's day!

conil said...

Wow...what a terrific meal. Your "Mad Man" card is terrific too.

Miriam Prantner said...

Love the Mad Men card! The little red heart is perfect, great fussy cutting! Love the mother's day card is great too, but the souffle might be my favorite thing about this post! ;)

Maureen Morton said...

I'm with Robin on loving the die cut letters on the first card - genius! And it has just the casual elegance that old Don has (the naughty boy!). both of your Mother's Day cards are super-special and you are blessed to have them both. Your kids sure did you proud, Mom......you & Dr. J. have sure raised a couple of gems. Happy day, Virginia!

Robin K. said...

I am so hooked on Mad Men! I really love your card Virginia- such a great take on the Mad Men inspiration! And the pics of your special dinner are divine! You're a lucky mom to have such thoughtful and talented kids:)

Greta said...

You raised those kids right, Virginia--what a feast! Happy Mother's Day to you. Love both cards. The one of the city is so eye-catching--fabulous design!

yyam said...

Love your Mad Men inspired card...looks like I need a cityscape stamp set!

And that looks like a yummy feast. So glad your kids get to spoil you! :)

alexandra s.m. said...

awww...that makes me so happy Virginia! You do realize you have the best two kiddos on the planet don't you?! ;o)
Love your cards! Thanks Virginia! and a very happy Mother's Day to you!!

Karen said...

Happy Mother's Day mf....looks like you had a fab day!!
hugs,
K

Pamela said...

Happy Mother's Day Virginia!! It looks like your mother's day was amazing with all the food!

Laura Jane said...

Looks like I'd really like the show...love the quotes and the inspired card..
Glad your Mother's day was so special:)

lenny said...

Woooow! Love these posts...this card is FANTASTIC!!! Totally love it!
It's stunning!
Great card for your MIL too!! She must have been very happy!!
And wow...you've been pampered yesterday! Yummy!! :))

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow, yummy dinner for sure! My kids made me breakfast... consisting of a warmed up pancake milk and a lovely rendition of happy birthday mommy (Maddie's only 2 so at least she new it was happy something hehehe!). Love your cards!
Hugs!
Lisa

Paula S. said...

Such great work to be inspired by on your blog! Thanks for paying me a visit and your kind words on my TT win.

Kelly Griglione said...

Love your Mad Men posts ... and I don't even watch the show! A really fun feature to keep coming back for : ) Your city is so fun. I particularly appreciate that your tallest building is pointing right where we're supposed to start reading. So, so smart!!

Alice Wertz said...

what a fabulous take on the inspiration photo!! LOVE it! and a sweet mom's day card for your MIL. and it is wrong that i am drooling while reading your post! it's just not right!! =) you are an amazing mom and absolutely deserve to be spoiled by your family! thanks so much for sharing! =)