Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sympathy Card

Giving sympathy card is always the hardest thing to do for card makers. Unfortunately I had to give one to a friend this past week.

A week ago I was informed by my friend Marilyn that her husband had passed away with colon cancer. I knew Marilyn through my son David's kindergarten days. Our kids went to the same schools all these years. Two years ago, Marilyn asked me to show her how to make a Father's Day card for her husband. At the time she just found out about his illness. We made the card much like this one here...
Life is Beautiful
Every time I bumped into Marilyn, she would tell me how much her husband loved the card and how much it means to him. Marilyn told me that the card we made together had been prominently displayed in his room and every hospital room he stayed all this time. It broke my heart to hear this sad news. However, I am comforted to know that my card had made a difference in his life.
My card for Marilyn

 with sympathy
Card stock: White by American Crafts
Pattern paper: Knee High by Basic Grey
Stamps: Etched Flowers with Stems by Hero Arts
Inks: White (detailed) by Stampendous, Field Green Mid Tone Shadow Ink by Hero Arts
Accessories: Parchment paper, Glue N’ Seal (gloss finish) by Ranger, silver gems (Michael’s), SRM Press (sentiment), Parchment Paper 


For the flowers, I used parchment paper. I love the white in this and the embossed textures are perfect! Just make sure you brush it over with Glue and Seal, or the embossed image will come off (much like the cool melted chocolate). I plan to buy some flowers to go along with this card. 

PS: if you are over 50 or you have a family history of colon cancer and have never had a Colonoscopy, it is time to make that appointment! 

Thanks for stopping by!

15 comments:

Dawn Turley said...

what a beautiful card Virginia. Your friend will appreciate the love that has gone into making this. Seeing how your children are the same age, I suspect he wasn't all that old either... it's just not fair! And I totally agree... get the test done...

Lynn said...

Virginia, God bless Marilyn and her family. I'll be keeping them in my prayers. I'm sure her family truly appreciates your thoughtfulness and your gorgeous cards.

Mary Ann said...

Very pretty card!Love the flowers,awesome!Your friend will love your card...

lenny said...

Totally agree...sympathy cards are difficult...
Love your card!! Those lilies are gorgeous! Beautiful color combo!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Oh Virginia I am so sorry for your friends loss and such a horrible thing cancer. Your cards are so beautiful and the card you made for Marilyn will bring her comfort because she knows you have made it with love.

Barb Ghig said...

Your card is absolutely gorgeous, Virginia! I love the color combo with those beautiful white blooms! I'm sure your friend will really appreciate the love you put into creating this card...Hugs to you!

conil said...

You did and wonderful job with this card. Thanks for passing on the colonoscopy message.

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Beautiful card! So sorry about your friend's husband. I am sure she will appreciate it! Will be thinking of her.

Miriam Prantner said...

So sorry to hear about your friend Virginia, this card is lovely, and I know that it will mean so much to her.

Linda R said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I sure she will enjoy the card you made for her. It is so pretty.

Hugs~

Sheila H said...

Your card is gorgeous, Virginia. I know your friend Marilyn will appreciate. My heart goes out to her and her family.

Melissa Shea said...

such beautiful cards. they are very comforting. so sorry for your friend.

aaga said...

Really sorry for your friend, sending prayers their way.
Your card for them is gorgeous and I hope somewhat comforting.

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow those flowers are beautiful! Love this parchment crafting I have to try this out!

Alice Wertz said...

it is never good when you need a sympathy card and i am so sorry for your friend. i am hoping with your sweet card you can once again help her through this difficult time of her life. you have such a big heart and are touching lives everyday with your passion in paper crafting and your loving nature. i am so happy and proud to call you a friend, Virginia! big hugs!