Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tutorials of My Gallery Idol Cards

Hello friends! As promised in my previous post, I am sharing a few techniques about two of my Gallery Idol cards.

Firstly, it's about this Shabby and Vintage card. As you can see, there are shades of pink, dark pink and tiny bit of red in the Painted Flower.
How do you achieve these shades of colors? Layered Stamping!
Always
 I avoided the layers by stamping the image with layers of shades and colors. That way, the image shows more depth and interest without being bulky.
The following photos will help you understand how I did it. I don't have a fancy Stamp-a-ma-jig so this is my cheap primitive way of doing it. I used my son's old toy skyscraper block and created a T shape corner with duct tapes (LOL)! It does work!
1. tape down the paper and keep it secure.
2. Stamp the lightest color, the darker shade
3. Wipe off excess color and area
4. Use Washi tape to keep the stamped image clean
5. Stamp first shade of green (Peel Paint)
6. Stamp another shade of green (Mowed Lawn)

The 2nd card is the Cute and Fun one
happy birthday from owl of us
It's hard to see the subtle wood-grain image on the frame. I used one of my favorite techniques to achieve this effect-- stamp-kissing!
1. Stamp the Wood-grain in Wet Cement (grey), Retro Frame in Cup o' Joe (brown)
2. Make them "kiss"!
3. Ta-da! (you can see the leftover ink on the woodgrain after kissing)
And lastly, this was how I made a pop-up frame with the owls
1. Use a Sticky note ( mine are free Tylenol sticky note) to mask the area. Preparation is the key for masking!
2. I didn't like how I stamped the hearts...so I decided to cut it off! It turns out to be a great idea! I made a cut with an Exacto knife and cut around the rectangle. Works for me!
3. Stamp the background and use pop dots for the added dimensions
4. Assemble!

I hope you enjoy seeing my creating process. Please vote here if you have not voted yet! You can click on the top right side bar in my blog and see all 5 entries! The voting ends at noon (Mountain Time), Thursday. After Friday, I can get back to my little normal stamping life... :)
Thanks so much for stopping by!

35 comments:

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

Great cards, Virginia! TFS the process. Good luck! :)

Miriam Prantner said...

Wonderful tutorials Virginia! Especially LOVE how you stamped the flower on the first card, and I love the stamping on the butterfly. Thanks so much for sharing these!

Jacqueline said...

You achieved a wonderful result with the shading on the painted flower, Virginia - so beautiful! TFS!

Lynn said...

Thanks so much for sharing your process with us. You are so amazingly talented. Gorgeous, gorgeous cards! I remembered your handmade stamp-a-ma-jig. Love it :)!

joy said...

Great tutorials, Virginia! I love your pretty cards and am pulling for you to win!!!!

Barb said...

Virginia, you used so many fun and different techniques! I love your tutorials and all three of your cards! I hope you know just how proud I am of you!! Good luck, my friend! :)

Brenda said...

These are both wonderful cards Virginia and thanks for sharing how you made them!

Deepti said...

love the techniques used, thank you so much for sharing it :) great learning for me. Also, I like ur stamp-a-ma-jig ;) inspired by that too :)

Mariana Grigsby said...

Wow! thanks for sharing!

Pamela said...

Heeeehehee, I love your tylenol post-its :D

Ardyth Percy-Robb said...

Wow! This is a great tutorial! I love your 'stampamajig'!

Clare T said...

I LOVE your homemade stampamajig! And the layering there is just amazing! Your little owl card is SO cute - I think it was a great choice to cut into the frame! Good luck!!

Cecilia Hsieh said...

Great tutorial Virginia! I don't have a stamp-a-jig either and was wondering how I can make one! I think I have to raid my son's long forgotten Lego's!! Good luck with Gallery Idol and well done to getting to this last round!!

Pat said...

These are beautiful--and I loved the flower card!

I've used my kids' old Legos for stamping--and yes, it does work great!

MichelleZ said...

You are so clever! I don't have a stamp-a-ma-thingie either. Fabulous idea! And I love the lace on first card too. A nice touch, but doesn't detract from the beautiful focal image. Lovely!

Laura B. said...

Wow! Amazing to see your process! That flower card is totally stunning! I love your DIY stamp-a-majig! Total redneck geniousness right there:) So many fabulous techniques used in all your cards from stamp kissing, masking, sewing, gold embossing...gorgeous details! I'm crossing my fingers to see you in Chicago!!!

~amy~ said...

Awesome...love seeing the process!

Kara Lynne said...

So glad you shared this! Love that sky-scraper-ma-jig!

Nat said...

awesome tutorials! Love the red on your floral design it is very striking and beautiful. These owls are totally charming too!! :)

donna mikasa said...

Love seeing your creative process and you are so ingenious! The toy skyscraper Stamp-a-ma-jig? I love it! I am just in awe of your talent and creativity!

C Wu said...

awesome cards. Thanks for sharing. Good luck!!

Dawn Turley said...

love the layered flowers and the kissing method to frame was an inspired choice Virginia. Good luck my friend!

Petti said...

great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Sheila H said...

Your tutorials let us know just how fabulous your techniques are, Virginia. Thanks so much for sharing. Your homemade Stamp-a-ma-jig is pure genius! Have a wonderful day :)

Barb King said...

These were great, I wondered how you achieved the color variation on the flower. Guess I will have to get out that stamp-a-majig and give it a try! Good luck!

BabyBokChoy said...

Your cards take my breath away! Thank you for sharing your ideas, wonderful stuff!

Mary Ann said...

Great cards!Thanks for the tutorial!!!

Annette Allen said...

wow thanks for sharing.. i love how you stamped that flower.. totally gorgeous..

Colleen Dietrich said...

Great tutorials, my friend! Love that floral card bunches.

conil said...

Clever girl. these cards are terrific. I always forget about "kissing", thanks for the reminder. And I simply love your flower. Gorgeous.

Barb Ghig said...

When I saw your your 'stamp-a-ma-jig' I nearly fell off my chair laughing, Virginia! Love your freebie sticky notes, too :-)

Thank you so much for the step by step tutorial! Your cards are amazing, and I'm so happy that you've come so far in the GI competition...you are so, very deserving of the win!!!

alexandra s.m. said...

I love the fact that you are showing us how you made your gorgeous card Virginia!
Thank You so much!!

Laura Jane said...

Well I just tried the technique you shared with the painted Flower...It works SWELL!
Thanks Virginia:)

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

wow! you are like a creative genius... I LOVE your first card I just want to frame it! My fingers are crossed for you!!!!

Melissa Shea said...

Love seeing your process! Those cards are amazing! Good Luck!!!