Sunday, August 25, 2013

Barb's Grey Challenge!

My sweet friend Barb Engler is having a Grey Challenge over Hero Arts Flickr (details here). It's a GREY challenge. You can pair up any colors with grey. I chose Navy Blue as I don't think I had ever done that. I also chose a stamp set (It's All Good) that I don't use often enough. This is the result.
it's all good!
I think this card kind of "speaks for itself", no? I will send this card to a friend that I haven't been in touch in a long while!

On the side note, I would like to share some random thoughts with you. A very sweet blog friend/follower/reader Sheila sent me an e-mail a few days ago. With her permission, I thought I would share our conversation with you...

Sheila wrote: Your blog is my very favorite of all that I visit, and I visit a lot. You know and use so many techniques. I want to start using some new techniques. I just have to do it. You are my inspiration to do so. I'm curious - did you study art in school?  How did you develop such artistic flair in your crafting?  Your work follows certain design principles - did you study them?

Virginia wrote: Hello Sheila, so nice of you to write me! I have NO artistic training or any art gene in me--not at all.  And here I am--the biggest impostor of a blogging stamper (that's how I feel sometimes--LOL)! My strengths are in the languages. I speak Mandarin and Taiwanese (two dialects in Chinese), fluent in German and English...I actually did very poorly in Arts when growing up. Perhaps the Taiwanese school system was also flawed that it didn't encourage me to pursue anything that has to do with Arts and Designs. Everything I learned about stamping are from 2009 till now. It's all self-taught. This is the beauty about card-making and stamping. In my view, as long as you are passionate about it, ANYONE can stamp and make fairly decent cards!

So there you have it! Big thanks to Sheila for her encouraging e-mail and allowing me to share! Hope our dialogue encourages you to try some thing new every time you make a card! 
David made his Lemon Meringue Pie again!! YUM! Happy Sunday!

18 comments:

Lynn said...

I love your card...pure stamping cards make me very happy and this one is so fun Virginia! Thanks so much for sharing Sheila's email. I'm like you...no art training...never was got at in school and I LOVE it now!!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Fun card! I agree with Sheila that I love your blog and you are an inspiration!

Tracey McNeely said...

I love your card Virgina, so much fun stamping-my fav! David is such an amazing kid making that yummy pie, he is welcome to come bake here any time!

Barb said...

Sheila is so right! You really do inspire so many of us, V!

Love your fun card! The navy looks awesome with the gray! Thank you for playing along - I'm so glad you joined in the challenge! :)

Tenia Nelson said...

Shelia speaks the truth. I just LURVE you, Miss Lady!!! I LURVE your super rad card and that pie looks sooooooooo yummers!!! Hope all is well.....

joy said...

I agree, Virginia! Your blog is, and you are, a great inspiration to me and many others. There is always a tip or trick or technique to learn when visiting here.

The pie looks super-delicious!

Sheila H said...

The grey, blue and Kraft is a great color combo, Virginia. Your card makes me smile. It's kind of funny to see our e-mails on your blog :)

Donna Bowman said...

Awesome way to use gray Virginia! I have ton's of word bubbles I haven't used. You've inspired me to find them and use them!!

alexandra s.m. said...

I was very hungry at dinner but now if I could just reach into this incredible shot and take a slice of meringue pie...yum!!!

I love your card and enjoyed reading your conversation!
Thank You for sharing dear Virginia!

Miriam Prantner said...

Wonderful card! I love those speech bubbles on the one edge and the straight lines on the other. I too love coming here to see what you come up with next. You are a super star!

~amy~ said...

Such a FUN card..love the sequins.
Check out that gorgeous PIE!

Maureen Morton said...

What a sweet post, Virginia - it really shows how friendships grow here in blogland! Love that Barb did this fun challenge, even tho I can't join in. You rocked it with the navy and I love that set and how you used it. Pack up a slice of that pie and send it my way - NOW!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

First, I love your card. Fabulous choice of the navy. Thanks for sharing the confo with Shiela, the fact that you have no training makes you even more inspiring. Lastly....YUM on the pie! ;)

Laura Norris said...

I agree with Shelia!! Your blog is at the top of my blog lists too! Always fun things to see and learn, and I like that you share a bit about your family, I feel like I know you as a person, not just a stamper! And oh my....that pie looks delish!!

Niki G said...

Great card...gray paired with navy is a great combo! Love that your designs are self taught and that if you love something it will shine through your work! I'm a big fan of your blog as well! Oh and that pie...yum!

lenny said...

FAB card! Love the grey and blue combo!!
And that pie ... mmm ... that looks so delicious! wow!!

Dawn Turley said...

can you send David to my house please???? what a delightful young man. Love your card and isn't Sheila just a delight too. She is so correct... despite no training, you really do have an eye and are really inspiring.

keren said...

Classy card- a really sophisticated colour combo. Your card is just gorgeous!