Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Memories from Chicago (Part 1)!

Alert: photo-heavy post! 
 I have been busy with my DT work and almost missed posting the photos from my Chicago trip. Can you believe that Dr. John and I took hundreds of photos!? 
With the amazing skyline of Chicago and several museum visits, it was too easy to snap this number of photos! To keep the post simple, I narrowed them down to Top 10 favorites divided into two blog posts. Today's post is part 1.

Here goes: 
1. Architecture River Cruise: Chicago is the home of modern skyscrapers. So the first touristy thing we did was the Architecture River Cruise.We got a panoramic view of Chicago's magnificent skyline with a detailed guided tour.  
The one and a half hour boat tour gave us a comprehensive look of the skyscrapers in the city.
What lured us in was the best American collection of Impressionist and Post-impressionist art.
 This iconic American Gothic was also on display! It is one of the most familiar images in 20th century American art and has been widely parodied within American pop culture.
 Other than seeing the famous paintings that you normally see as post cards, I also loved the spacious cafeteria section and its health-conscious food!
3. Old skyscrapers:  We visited two of the oldest skyscrapers in detail. The first one was the Rookery Building. My friend Alexandra and her hubby Mark were our guides on this one. This historical masterpiece is considered as one of the oldest highrise buildings in Chicago. The lobby was remodeled in 1905 by Frank Lloyd Wright. Beginning in 1989, the lobby was restored to the original Wright design.
(photos: lobby of the Rookery Building)
Another famous landmark is the Marquette Building
(lobby of the  Marquette Building)
The ensemble of mosaics, sculptures, and bronzes of the Marquette Building entry and interior are quite ornate and detailed. We saw art students doing sketches of the art wall that day.

4. NEW skyscrapers:  We were lucky to get a full view of the 108-story, 1,451-foot (442 m) Willis Tower  thanks to the beautiful weather. Willis Tower (commonly known as the Sears Tower) is the second-tallest building in the United States and the eighth-tallest freestanding structure in the world.
 I love the John Hancock Center's observatory on the 95th floor! The John Hancock Observatory allows a 360° view of the city, up to four states, and a distance of over 80 miles (130 km).
 5: Famous city landmarks: This modern art called the Flamingo can be seen in the Federal Plaza.
And then there is Cloud Gate (dubbed the Bean) in Millennium Park. Constructed between 2004 and 2006, the sculpture is nicknamed "The Bean" because of its bean-like shape. Made up of 168 stainless steel plates welded together, its highly polished exterior has no visible seams.
Well, that's it for today! I will blog about Part 2....phew, that was a lot of photos to sift through. 
Thanks so much for stopping by! 

27 comments:

Pamela said...

WOW! I love all the photos!!! I hope that one day I can visit Chicago as well! Perhaps we can all meet there for a gathering??

Barb said...

Wonderful photos, V! Thanks for part #1 of the tour!

Donna Bowman said...

Looks like you had an awesome trip!!

Niki G said...

Awesome photos with spectacular views and the 95th floor? YIKES, I much prefer to see this through your photos!

shirley-bee said...

Fabulous photos, Virginia! I love the old skyscrapers.

Loly Borda-Towery said...

Fabulous pictures virginia! Thanks for sharing them , love. Your travel posts.

Annette Allen said...

what fabulous photos.. thanks for sharing..

Jamie said...

WOW. It look like an amazing adventure:)

conil said...

Looks like an awesome trip and you took some stunning photos.

Linda R said...

I have visited Chicago a couple of times and I must say you have captured it perfectly.. LOVE your photos my friend.

Hugs~

Barb Ghig said...

Great photos, Virginia! I kept scrolling back and forth because you got so many great shots!
I think it's wonderful that you and Dr. John get to travel to all these fun places...can't wait to see more!

Tracey McNeely said...

All such fabulous photos Virginia! I love Chicago so much and I can't believe you packed so much into your trip!

lenny said...

GOOOOOORGEOUS photos, Virginia!!
Always love your travel posts!! TFS

donna mikasa said...

It's always a pleasure to see your trip photos! I feel like I'm tagging along with the Lus--ha! Thanks so much for sharing them with us. Can't wait for Part 2!

Deirdre said...

Oh how I love and miss that wonderful city - great photos Virginia - looks like you had a great time.

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Next stop....SEATTLE! :) Looks like you had an amazing time! Great photos!

BTW- I didn't do anything for WCMD either, so at least you aren't alone. HUGS!

Laura Norris said...

WOW! Wonderful photos Virginia! I loved the Rookery Building...how spectacular. Thanks for taking us on your trips with you by sharing your pictures! Can't wait for part 2.

PiecesByEmily said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them, Virginia. Seeing your red dress, my first thought "RIC#46" :-)

MarcyK924 said...

I love living vicariously through you and your photo journals! What a fab trip! Thanks for sharing Part 1 and i can't wait for Part 2! Any food shots? :)

Sheila H said...

I love your travel photos, Virginia. These are great, and I'm looking forward to your second post.

Trinh said...

You brought back some great memories for me, Virginia! Would love to go back & visit again. Thanks for sharing your great photos!

jusaweecatnap said...

Love the photo tour. DS lives there, so I've been to some of these places. It's fun to see them again, and fun to see places I haven't been. I don't think I could handle the Willis Tower, so I'm happy to experience it through your camera lens. Thanks for sharing.

Alice Wertz said...

i love it when you do travel posts, V!! it's such a treat and love reading your explanation of each place. thanks so much for sharing. i am looking forward to part 2! =)

alexandra s.m. said...

You are an amazing ambassador of our Windy City dear Virginia! I thank you for this post which you must have spent hours editing and I thank You for giving Alexia the BEST life a stuffed cat could ever dream of and I thank You for being so thoughtful and generous!

HUGS~

Kelly Griglione said...

Seriously, this is such a great "highlight film" of our city! You would be an awesome tour book writer, Virginia! Love seeing Chicago through your eyes. And it's just fun seeing you and Dr. John at the places we hang out at : )

Michelle said...

Virginia, I love your travel photos! My desire to visit Chicago has just been ignited again!! I've never been there, and it looks fantastic! Your photos in the John Hancock observatory have scared the pants off me! Are the floors glass? Eek!!!

Helen F. said...

Beautiful city, amaZING photos, Virgina!