Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Stencil Fun!

New year, new toys...
Last week I received some happy mail from Hero Arts (partially for my last pub incentive). One of the new toys was a stencil.
 *Hero Arts Stencil NIGHT FLOWER  SA012 2014
Yup, stencils have made a comeback! It's more like what the manufacturers want us to buy. But we all get sucked into it, right (LOL)? Way back when I started card-making, I acquired some brass ones ( remember those?) from the good old Michael's. They work just fine (a tad thick though) and will last forever ! BUT I must say the new kinds from Hero Arts are so thin and so very durable, I am now convinced that I need should get more!

Without further ado, this is what I made with the Night Flower stencil...
025 
I used Distress Inks ( Antique Linen, Tea Dye, Vintage Photo and Ripe Persimmon) and applied carefully to the light kraft card stock. I turned the stencil at an angle and layered more colors. When I applied the inks, I used Washi tape to secure the work surface, so the stencil will not shift. I decided to add some hand stitching just for the fun of it. BUT when I worked on the last part--->the sentiment...that's when things went wrong! See that "like you" sentiment? It was smeared and messed up in black! I was determined not to start all over again and turned that mistake into a design element. I stamped it in Ripe Persimmon (Distress Ink) and cut it out...voila! Good save, huh? 
 Ding--->Turn the stencil at an angle and see if you can come up with more ways to use it. Not all stencils can be used this way, of course. What I meant is--->move it around and experiment. You will be pleasantly surprised about the result!

Well, that's it! I hope this year I can create better and more innovative work and share them with you here in this blog. I may not post as often as I used to because I am going to strive for quality work (wink)! I sure hope you like what you see and stick with me!

Here is what's ahead....I am part of the fabulous blog hop!
Hostess Banner_Next Week_500_REV
Thanks so much for stopping by!

33 comments:

Niki G said...

Oh my! Absolutely gorgeous! Awesome tip and I may have to jump on the stencil bandwagon after seeing your card!

Jennifer Jackson said...

Lovely card! I love it when a mistake turns into something cool! Great way to fix it!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

This is gorgeous! Love the gorgeous colors!

Barb said...

Stunning use of that stencil, Virginia - lOVE the mix of colors! Great save too! Beautifully done, my friend! ♥

Vanessa said...

So so beautiful! Love how you used the stencil - perfect!
Vanessa x

Katie Ann Brooks said...

I love your light bulb ideas, I always think, "duh! why didn't I think of that?!" Thank you for sharing them. This card is gorgeous and loving the colors. Glad you are still liking orange. :)

cheiron said...

So pretty Virginia! I love it!

Carole x said...

Beautiful card love the stencil and the sewing xx

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Wow - love what you did with the stencil, Virginia! Your multicolored flower looks amazing! Can't wait to hop with you next week!!

donna mikasa said...

Absolutely stunning, Virginia! I remember brass stencils (wonder where mine are?) and now we have embossing paste to play with! Where does it end?? And a good save of the sentiment--it looks like it was meant to be!

Lin said...

WHOA BABY!! This is amazing, Virginia! The addition of the butterfly and your "oops" sentiment are what make this so special - beautifully done!!

Barb Ghig said...

Wow! What a gorgeous card, Virginia! I love the soft colors and your stitching is so pretty! Great save on the sentiment, too...so clever!

Thanks so much for your suggestions and tips about stencils...I really appreciate it!

Lynn said...

I love when you share your light bulb moments Virginia! This is gorgeous!

Miriam Prantner said...

Gorgeous! So striking, it looks like such an exotic flower. I love the stitching too!

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Awesome!

Laura B. said...

Gorgeous stencil and ink blending! Yay for free Hero Arts product!!!

Annette Allen said...

wow Virginia this is gorgeous.. love that stencil.. awesome card..

Darnell J Knauss said...

You are enabling a lot of people to be adding stencils to their stash with this great card, V! I love the butterfly flower center!! Hugs, Darnell

Cheryl Kao said...

Wow!!! Such a good idea of turning an angle of stencil!!! Never thought about it. Also, great idea of use another piece to cover the mistake. If you didn't mention it, I would not notice it at all. Really likes this one :)

Dawn Turley said...

awesome Virginia. Love how you did the different colours moving the stencil around. Just lovely

Sheila H said...

Your beautifully layered colors are so striking, Virginia. I love the butterfly at the center. Great save re the sentiment!

Mary Ann said...

Beautiful card!!!

Loly Borda-Towery said...

Gorgeous card Virginia! Love how you rocked using this stencil, and those colors are fabulous! TFS

conil said...

Loved what you did with this stencil. Actually I saw it in the catalog and was immediately drawn to it. Glad you used it (and so beautifully), quick save and all. Really pops with the colors you chose. Incidentally, I still have ALL my brass stencils, know anyone that wants them? (Heh heh).

wienerhoneymooners said...

Live how gorgeous and richly vibrant!!! Yet still wonderfully CAS!!

keren said...

Such a classy card- love LOVE the colours and design-and yes, I'll be digging my stencils back out before too long!!

Nonni said...

Gorgeous! I love the colors of that flower. Stencils are cool! :)

Tracey McNeely said...

You are so incredibly talented my friend.

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful card! Love the fix on the sentiment...couldn't even tell.

Rose said...

this is so pretty :)

i am taking an on line class for stencils next week :)

Linda R said...

What a wonderful card.. And your stitching looks awesome here.

Hugs~

Kelly Griglione said...

Yep, I am so into stencils I need to start using them more! Love how you layered the colors. And yes, awesome save on your sentiment. We would have NEVER known!

Tammy J said...

the card is beautiful and I love the colors. wouldn't mind having that stencil. tfs