Friday, February 14, 2014

A Food Post and a Valentine's Day Card!

Happy Valentine's Day! 
happy V-Day!-2 
 I am sharing a Valentine's Day card. It's a simple pocket card. Stamps are from Fresh Squeezed Stamps. I made this a while ago and almost forgot to post...today is the perfect chance!

Are you making anything yummy for your love ones?  Well, it's been a while since I do a food post. Other than being a full time card-maker, I also run a 24/7 kitchen in my house! These Mushroom Turnovers have always been an old favorite in my household. I had the recipe for years! Once in while, I will make it for special occasions...as you can see, it's a bit tedious to make, but when I do make them, I just love it (my tummy loves them even more!)!  
Supplies: 
Cream Cheese pastry
Cream cheese (8 0z)
Butter or margarine (1/2 Cup)
All purpose flour (1 1/2 cup)
Filling
Butter/margerine (3 tab)
Large onion (1, finely chopped)
Fresh mushroom ( 1/2 lb, chopped)
All purpose flour (2 tab)
Salt (1 tsp)
Pepper (1/4 tsp) Thyme (1/4 tsp)
Sour cream (1/4 Cup)
Egg (1, beaten)  
1. Combine butter, onion, saute about 5 minutes
2. Add mushroom, seasoning
3. Add flour, sour cream, stir until thickened
4. Set aside and let cool
5. Roll pastry fairly thin, Cut into 3 inch rounds. Place 1 tsp filling in the center of each circle
6. Dampen outer half edge with beaten egg, fold over and press edges together with fork
7. Brush tops with beaten egg. Bake in 450 F (230 C) for about 10 minute or until golden brown.

My Mushroom Turnovers were devoured before I thought of taking the final photo! But you get the idea....they are golden brown and yummy!
Sour Cream and Beef Turnovers  My family loves these!
(credit image from Pinterest)
 Reminder: please take 1 minute to vote for the PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD on this site (click "Kristin Brown" in #2 on the list). My daughter Stephanie co-founded this Mental Health Campaign with two classmates from her Master's program back in 2012. You can vote once every 24 hours til March 3! It's currently quite behind in 2nd place 3rd place!!! If you are seeing this for the first time, details are here and here . I know Stephanie and her team really appreciate your BIG help (and so do I!!).
 Thanks for stopping by! 

17 comments:

Cindy C. said...

Your mushroom turnovers look so yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!! I made heart shape chocolate brownie for the DH and boys, but then I wonder if the boys would get teased at school because of it!! :D

Miriam Prantner said...

Those look delicious!!! We love mushrooms at our house! I also love all that masking on your card!

Cat Craig said...

Cute card, and I bet my hubby would love those turnovers. I might have to give it a shot. Thanks for sharing.

mimijudy1975 said...


It was so sweet of you,Virginia,to share your delicious recipe for Mushroom Turnovers as well as the pretty Valentine card you made. Love the idea of a pocket card and the stitching frames the colorful valentines so well. I think you should think about writing a small cookbook of the Lu's Favorites !! your recipes are wonderful and the way you have the pictures makes me want to try everyone you've shown !!!HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Darnell J Knauss said...

Oh, yum, delicious card and delicious recipe! Thank you, V!! You really know how to do a great post!! Happy Valentine's Day! Hugs, Darnell

Jennifer said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Such a sweet card, love how you stamped it. And those mushroom turnovers...omg yum! Off to vote =)

Barb Ghig said...

I'm so glad you remembered to post this really pretty pocket card, Virginia! I love all the hearts, and the interactive component is so fun!

Off to vote...

Robin K. said...

Your pocket card design is delightful Virginia!! And those mushroom turnovers look so yummy!!

Sheila H said...

I didn't cook at all today, Virginia! Your family is blessed to have your delicious treats. Your card is adorable - so eclectic, colorful and fun. Love the stitched pocket :)

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Good lookin card, love all the colors and how you did the pocket. Those turnovers look delish!

Barb said...

Your turnovers look delicious, V! And that card is so fabulous! I love the different patterns and colors on all those hearts! Hope your Valentine's Day was wonderful! :)

Kelly Griglione said...

You are never one to shy away from extra effort, are you, Virginia?!? In your cooking, your card-making, or even your travels. You always go ALL OUT. I love it! The turnovers look amazing, as does your tag/card. I voted for Stephanie's team, but oh no, they are in third place now : (

conil said...

Adorable card...love the masked hearts. ...and the recipe, THANK YOU, who wouldn't devour these. In my house, they'd never get out of the kitchen. YUM_MEE!

~amy~ said...

Love your card, awesome colors!
DELISH mushroom goodness!

Annette Allen said...

wow fabulous card.. love all the stamped hearts.. Hope you had a great Valentines day.. and looks like I need to come to your house for some good food..

Happy Sunday

Joni nina Andaya said...

Yum!!! You make me hungry ....Lol! Your card is Fabulous with the pocket! Love <3

ThePurplePlace said...

These look and sound fabulous! I'm printing out the recipe now..thanks for sharing! :)