Sunday, February 23, 2014

"Celebrate" Winter!

 I have a simple winter card and some fun family photos to share today...here's the card!
 I did some paper-piecing for the card! It's super easy and fun to do!


Card stock: Neenah (Solar White)
Pattern Paper: Konnichiwa by Basic Grey
Stamps:  Warm Winter Wishes by The Craft’s Meow
Inks: Hero Chalk Ink (Night), Hero Hues Chalk Ink (Punch)
Accents: Pearls (Hero Arts), The Twinery, 3 D Pop- Dots by EK Success, Glossy Accent (Ranger)

They say that if you can't beat them, then join them!
Well, obviously we can't beat winter, so I did what I could--join the fun and celebrate winter. Two weekends ago, we visited my in-laws in Ottawa (nation's capital) and stopped by at the Rideau Canal where the yearly Winterlude takes place.

 There were some really AWESOME ice sculptures on display.
 This one was my favorite!
Ice carvers from around the world turned blocks of ice into stunning works of art. At night, coloured lights reveal the magical beauty of the ice sculptures.
 And of course, what are folks and fun without FOOD? BeaverTails are the Canadian originals! What are BeaverTails, you ask?  Basically it's fried dough pastries, individually hand stretched to resemble a beaver's tail. You can get different toppings such as (see bottom left photo) Whipped Cream, Maple Butter, Cinnamon  & Sugar and Chocolate Hazelnut. To save calories and $, my big kids posed with the Ice Hog mascot instead!
In winter, the historic Rideau Canal becomes the world's largest skating rink. The ice extends 7.8-kilometres and runs through the heart of downtown Ottawa. 
We spent about an hour and half on the Canal and that was enough for me! Brrrr....As much as I loath the winter, we do have to embrace winter here in Canada. That's what make us "cool" (wink!). Originally from Taiwan, I became a Canadian citizen when I got married to Dr. John (born and bred in Ottawa). When we first wrote to each other in our first winter (me in Taiwan, he was in Canada), he wrote: "I hope you like snow, Virginia, because Canada has lots of it". He did warn me about the snow, didn't he?

Reminder: A note about my daughter Stephanie's Mental Health Campaign "Stand Up To Stigma" that she co-founded with her friend Kristin, thank you SO much for your diligent voting.  We are aware that the votes are quite behind. However, there is a chance that her team can still win the Top 3 ( not by voting, but chosen as a TOP 3 FINALIST by a panel of judges selected by the Council of Ontario Universities). This means that her team will still have a chance to be awarded at least $500 (and possibly more) for our campaign! You are encouraged to continue to vote for the PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD on  this site (click "Kristin Brown" in #2 on the list).  You can vote once every 24 hours til March 3!

Thanks for stopping by!

20 comments:

Dawn Turley said...

Gorgeous card Virginia. Your winters are really COLD and SNOWY compared to what I have. Thanks for sharing the nice parts of winter!

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

I love your paper piecing Virginia! I totally see this doubling up to have Olympics references too! ;-) Those ice sculptures are amazing! Sounds like you had a great time away even if it was cold!!

Sheila H said...

Those paper pieced mittens are darling, Virginia! I love the DP and the twine. Love the pictures, too! The ice carvings are spectacular :)

Barb said...

Your card is so cute, V! I love those adorable mittens!

Fab photos too! Looks like such a neat place! Wish I could have the same attitude about winter as you do, but it's so difficult this year! Way too much snow and much colder temps than normal - YUK!

~amy~ said...

Such a cute card, love the twine action.

brrrrrrr....love all your pictures!

Joni nina Andaya said...

Very CUTE with the hand mittens :) Love <3

Miriam Prantner said...

Love the twine with the mittens, and LOVE the photos! Canada definitely has a lot of snow! Looks like a fun time! Did you guys get to skate on the canal?

conil said...

Sweet card, I love paper-piecing and the one was done so well. It relates so well to your Ottawa pix. Looks like you had a fun trip. Those ice sculptures are amazingly beautiful.

diana said...

Great winter card! I hope you had your mittens with you when you visited my hometown.
The canal closed temporarily because of the rain on Friday. But we're looking forward to more cold this week and hopefully more skating. ;-)

Loly Borda-Towery said...

Love the pictures Virginia! Winter is not my friend, (I'm originally from Argentina), but I do love snowed landscapes and love those ice sculptures. TFS

lenny said...

Love, love, love the card!! Those mittens are so adorable! Love the blue/red/white color combo!!
FUUUUUN photos!!

Barb Ghig said...

I love your card, Virginia! Your paper pieced mittens are adorable and I love your choice of patterned papers!

Thank you so much for sharing these great pics with us...I love to see how much talent there is out there! Looks like you all had a great time, too!

Off to vote :-)

Cat Craig said...

You pieced the perfect papers together, such a fun winter card. Love the pictures of your outing too. I am a southern California transplant to Maryland. We have had a snowy few weeks recently, and I am loving it. After almost 40 years one does tire of endless sunshine.

Donna B. said...

Very sweet card! Love the papers you used! Those ice sculptures are amazing!

Tracey McNeely said...

Delightful winter card Virginia! I haven't been to Winterlude in years--thanks for sharing the photos!

alexandra s.m. said...

Wonderful post!
we have it all!
A great card, a super cool report, amazing photos, personal anecdotes...love it love it love it!
I just voted ;)
xx

donna mikasa said...

I love those mittens and the CAS design! And those ice sculptures are simply fabulous--thank you for sharing your pics!

Laura B. said...

Oh my goodness...how in the world did you pass up the Beaver tail desserts??? Amazing ice sculptures!! Love your cute mittens card...so adorable!

Greta said...

What incredible ice sculptures! Thanks for sharing the pictures, Virginia! Your card is fresh & clean & beautiful--love it!

Kelly Griglione said...

Such cozy patterned paper you picked for your mittens card! Sweet! Thanks for sharing all your winter wonderland photos ... how neat that there is a long ice rink down the middle of town! We don't have anything like that here. Or the beaver tails, thank goodness!