Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Create a "Faux" Wood Veneer!

Hello! I am popping in to share a little fun card that I made. I didn't have any rules as far as the design goes. I made this card in response to the CARDS challenge (see here). The challenge is calling for wood veneer. I thought I had some wood veneer in my stash since they are quite popular...but to my dismay, I had NONE! How could I let this happen...?
Of course, I am not going to let that stop me from playing! Then I found the butterfly chipboard that looks SO much like wood veneer and decided to turn it into wood veneer. We do not always have the latest fancy craft supplies on hand (so we wish!!). BUT, with a little bit of creativity, we can totally "fake" it (wink!)
 We do not always have the latest fancy craft supplies on hand (so we wish!!). BUT, with a little bit of creativity, we can totally "fake" it (wink!)

Ding---create faux wood veneer with chip board (edited: thanks Taheerah)
1. Apply Tea Dye and Vintage Photo Distress Inks to the butterfly all over
2. Clear-emboss the butterfly with a wood-grain stamp (such as Background Check form Fresh Squeezed Stamps)
3. Embellish the butterfly with sequins and Liquid Perfect Pearl

I am not sure if that resembles a wood veneer. But I think I like it...so much that I created a water-colored background to go with the butterfly. Here is the final result.
thank you
Again, I am taking my own "Hot Mess" approach and created a water-color background (also with the stamp set from Background Check and Distress Inks). I added the embossed sentiment on vellum from Neat & Tangled. To keep the design in balance, I added some hand-stitching on the right hand top corner. It was super relaxing and fun to make this card! I totally enjoyed it!

And by the way, if you like that Background Check Stamps from Fresh Squeezed Stamps, it's TIME to buy it as they are closing the shop (Wahhhh...me sad) and all stamp sets that are in stock are 30% off! 

Reminder: A note about my daughter Stephanie's Mental Health Campaign "Stand Up To Stigma" that she co-founded with her friend Kristin, thank you SO much for your diligent voting.  We are aware that the votes are quite behind. However, there is a chance that her team can still win the Top 3 ( not by voting, but chosen as a TOP 3 FINALIST by a panel of judges selected by the Council of Ontario Universities). This means that her team will still have a chance to be awarded at least $500 (and possibly more) for our campaign! You are encouraged to continue to vote for the PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD on  this site (click "Kristin Brown" in #2 on the list).  You can vote once every 24 hours til March 3!
 
Thanks so much for stopping by!

26 comments:

Lesley Croghan said...

Amazing colours! Love that you created your own wood veneer!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Wow! It absolutely looks like wood, so cool. LoveLove the sequins and background stamping too. Remind where you got that tldelightful thin gold floss? I'll be back tomorrow to see what else I have missed. Ps- crossing fingers for Stephen!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Stupid autocorrect. .. Stephanie! Lol!

Jennifer said...

Love your "wood" butterfly! An your watercoloring is so much fun. Another great card!

Cat Craig said...

Oh my gosh Virginia, this has to be my favorite of your cards that I have been gazing at for the last year or two. Simply breath-taking. I have to pin it.

Vanessa said...

Hey Mrs Genius, this looks amazing! Love your faux wood veneer and that card is just gorgeous!

Barb Ghig said...

Such a clever way to substitute for a wood veneer element, Virginia! I love your watercolored background and all those pretty sequins, too! Thanks so much for the details so we can replicate...I really appreciate it!

Off to vote :-)

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

Genius idea Virginia! Why let a simple thing like lack of supply stop you?! You really are on a roll lately. Love that watercoloured background and the visual balance too!

Taheerah (*LittleMissT*) said...

In fact, there ought to be a Creative Lightbulb in this post!

Greta said...

Wowzer! Your cards just keep getting better, Virginia! I love this one, too! Thanks for all the inspiration!

donna mikasa said...

Your wood veneer butterfly--genius! I would never have thought to emboss a woodgrain design but you nailed it! Such a pretty card, too--love the colors and the contrast with the butterfly.

Lynn Mangan said...

Oh I love the background and all the soft elements Virginia...looks fabulous!

Cris G said...

Humm, your background looks gooood... and you would have fooled me with the faux wood veneer. It looks real.
I hope that your daughter Stephanie and friends will win the Top 3, their campaign is really interesting and more than that: needed. There is still a lot of incomprehensive stigma in many different areas of our modern society...

Sheila H said...

Virginia, you did an excellent job of creating wood veneer. I love the light, airy and artsy look of your background. It's a beautiful contrast to the solid look and feel of your butterfly.

joy said...

Your hot mess (collage-like) cards are just amazing, Virginia! I love this one and the butterfly looks great, too!

Kelly Griglione said...

So loving your style, Virginia! You know a good thing when you see it, that's for sure! The stitches I noticed right away. Super-cool background, and I love the sequins down the middle of the butterfly.

jusaweecatnap said...

It really works as faux wood veneer--a great tip. And I like the contrast of the "wooden" butterfly with the colored background (which I really love all by itself). Great card.
Still can't believe the top two vote getters in the "People's Choice Award" really know that many people who are that passionate about their projects. Oh well, among the rest of the pack, our team's doing well.

Sue McRae said...

Love this hot mess style, it has such a great combination of elements.

Miriam Prantner said...

The faux veneer looks wonderful, and I am in love with the embossed/watercolor strips in the background!

Niki G said...

This is so pretty! Love your use of stamps and water coloring. Great techniques used in the sweet card!

alexandra s.m. said...

GENIUS!
Your card is amazing!
I can't wait to give this a try ;)
TFS~

I'm off to vote for Stephanie...

Piali Biswas said...

Pretty card! Love the faux wood look!

Cornelia W said...

This is one super creative card - love the colors, love the butterfly, love just everything about it!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Wow! I'm totally in awe and in love with this card! Beautiful work! Hugs!

Laura B. said...

I love it when you do "hot mess"!! Your watercolor color combo is perfecto, but my favorite part of this whole card is that tiny bit of stitching at the top...that is just awesome!!!

Gunilla/Nilla said...

BEAUTIFUL...love the colors and the butterfly is awesome!