Thursday, February 13, 2014

Trying Something New!

A crafty blog friend wrote me a while ago and asked me: "What is the best way to determine your style?" Well, sorry to say that I don't have an answer. I think the best way is just to keep experimenting and see where your card design takes you.....the sky is the limit!

  I am more of a simple stamper and tend to make clean and simple type of cards. I do admire card makers who can layer beautiful elements and they make it so effortlessly! I think that is something I don't do...a lot. Today I am sharing a card that is different from my norm.
hey
Supplies: Fancy Pants glassine envelope, gold strings, Target Washi Tape, sequins, Poppy flower (Hero Arts), (CAS-ual Fridays, Heart Fri-dies) sentiment (Simon Says Stamps)

I also did something that I have never done before--quilling. The reason? My kids have this Klutz (here they called it "Twirled Paper") book for years and of course, it's been sitting on the shelf!  I am not even sure if they played with it. But, never mind! I can now use it! It comes with a nice quilling pen and paper! I am just going to have to perfect quilling! When I looked at the red heart, it is FAR FROM perfect! I think I have a long way to go on quilling. BUT this is something new. I am taking baby steps and having fun experimenting. What style would you like to try and haven't? Food for thought, huh?
 
Reminder: please take 1 minute to vote for the PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD on this site (click "Kristin Brown" in #2 on the list). My daughter Stephanie co-founded this Mental Health Campaign with two classmates from her Master's program back in 2012. You can vote once every 24 hours til March 3! If you are seeing this for the first time, details are here and here . I know Stephanie and her team really appreciate your BIG help (and so do I!!).

Thanks for stopping by!

27 comments:

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

I love this and that you shared with us! I've always wanted to try quilling but I don't think I have enough patience hehehe!

Pamela said...

Love it! Love the quilling, the sequins and the lose threads! (And I spy Target washi tape!)

alexandra s.m. said...

I think experimenting is part of your style.
You always push your limits (that is if you have any!)
and by doing that you make us be better crafters!

Love your card Virginia!
Wonderful unique elements!!

sandie said...

I think you did a fab job here, I love this card and it is still kinda CAS. I admire Vintage cards but they scare me, I am happy with stamps and ink but would like to give Vintage a try one day!!

Niki G said...

Liking the new style! Have you seen the challenge The Card Concept? I love how they break down the various styles and challenge you to break out of your comfort zone. I'd love to learn how to do elegant or freestyle collage. Still studying!

joy said...

Virginia, I am convinced that you could create a card using any technique or product and it would turn out fabulously!! This is an adorable card and the quilled heart looks great.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Stephanie!

Sherry Eckblad said...

Your card is absolutely gorgeous and if this is not your NORM, it should be. Love that glassine envelope, the washi and the sequins. Just perfection.

Barb said...

Good for you, V! I love this awesome collage! Your elements look wonderful together! And Quilling? How fun! Love it! ♥

Laura B. said...

Love, love, love these gorgeous layers! I know this isn't your usual style, but you did it very well here! Love the quilling and the gold thread! The glassine bag looks fabulous, too!

Kathy (krolski) said...

I love the layers and the quilled heart Virginia!Is quilled a word? haha! How fun to try new crafting! :) I'm off to vote for Stephanie again. Yay Stephanie!

lenny said...

Love this!! Love all the texture ... wow! Beautiful card!!

Joni nina Andaya said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! Love the embellishments Virginia! Its different but I love it!

Miriam Prantner said...

Love the quilled heart! There's just so much to take in in this card. Love the stamping, the gold thread, the quilled heart, just a great combination of elements!

conil said...

You've "layered" this beautifully, the addition of the quilled heart is perfect for your card. I like it!

Susan F. said...

I think you will love quilling Virginia. I started quilling when I was a kiddo. Pinterest has a lot of quilled items on it. I love the little bag and the embellishments on your card.

Sheila H said...

This is eclectic and gorgeous, Virginia. It's fun of fun. I love how you challenge yourself to try new concepts and techniques. Your quilling is great :)

Barb Ghig said...

How fun that you tried 'and succeeded' with your quilling! I love this card, Virginia...such pretty colors and fab design! Thanks so much for always inspiring us to try new things!

As of yesterday, Stephanie's team was in first place by a wide margin...I'm off to vote again, and I'll keep my fingers crossed :-)

Robin K. said...

Loooove the quilled heart Virginia! I have a friend who quills and she made me a bunch of different flowers, etc. to add to my cards but I've been "afraid" to use them- silly, huh? I'm squeezing for your daughter! Thanks for the daily reminders to vote:)

Deepti said...

Way tooo cool!! Love the quilled heart and all the collage elements :)

Meihsia Liu said...

Love this beautiful card and your style, Virginia. Trying new thing is always fun :)

Dawn Turley said...

awesome Virginia. It is always good to try something new. Your quilled heart is lovely

Cindy C. said...

The quilled heart is really cute!!

Jingle said...

THis is just fantastic! I love it!

keren said...

I absolutely love this style- you've totally nailed it. Great to see you busting out something new!

Chrissy Larson said...

I love how you layered everything on this card. WOW!

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Love this card and all the unique elements. I don't know how people figure out there style either but I know this...I love yours! It is so uniquely you and so inspiring!

Kelly Griglione said...

Seriously, I absolutely LOVE this, Virginia! Way to step outside your comfort zone. All the elements really work together so well. A gorgeous card!