Saturday, March 22, 2014

Mistake...NOT!

Have you ever tried to design a card and it went to a totally different direction as you had previously envisioned? Well, today's card is exactly. just. that.

I was inspired by Day 11's Clean and Simple online Class. After seeing Jennifer McGuire's video on "Layered Stamping", I was itching to try the technique. Namely, to stamp white pigment ink and then stamp a solid stamped image over...well, mine didn't turn out as planned. I stamped Tweed Pattern in Colorbox Dye Ink for the background. It barely showed anything! You can hardly see the Tweed Pattern on my solid stamped image (using So Kind set)...what a let down!

So I stared at the "Epic Fail" for a few minutes and decided to make the "best" out of the situation...
 This is my unexpected result. 
thanks for everything
I happened to have the new diecut ( All Seasons Tree from Simon Says Stamps) sitting in front of me...the rest is history. What do you think? This card came out from a "mistake"!
Guess it is not so bad after all.
Thanks for stopping by!

21 comments:

Lin said...

So cute, Virginia - I especially love your sequin "leaves"! Great colors, too!

msdixie said...

i think it's adorable. i wouldn't have known it was a "fail" if you hadn't said so! and... i think your blog is so clever and cute. :) have a happy day!

Donna B. said...

Very cute card! I love that delicate tree die and how you colored it. The subtle background adds interest.

alexandra s.m. said...

well it looks sensational Virginia!
Brilliant use of the diamond shape!

Cat Craig said...

this card is adorable, love the sequins, and your tree coloring. I love the color bits peeking out behind the grass too. No fail here.

Barb said...

I love it! So glad you used the stamped background, V! Your tree is adorable with the fallen sequins and I adore these colors! Great save! ♥

Cathy said...

Great card Virginia, love the way you've coloured the tree, Cathy x

joy said...

The results of your "mistake" are fabulous, Virginia! Love that die cut tree.

Annette Allen said...

you did a great job Virginia.. such a cute card.. the tree looks amazing

Sheila H said...

Your tree is gorgeous, Virginia. It has nice depth and dimension. The geometric stamped background combined with the DP is a beautiful way to highlight the tree die cut. This card is a winner :)

Niki G said...

Oh Virginia...that's the story of my life when cards don't turned out as planned. I really should look at it differently because your card turn into something really beautiful! I love the tree die and your sweet little scene!

Meg said...

This happens to me more than I care to admit - i love your card. My sister always says that there is no such thing as mistakes - we just have creative opportunities!

Dawn Turley said...

turned out fabulous. I love the subtle background. Great save.

~amy~ said...

It's wonderful! Although it isn't what you had originally envisioned it's a FAB card!

CinnamonSally said...

Gorgeous card Virginia!!

Leni said...

Just beautiful, and no mistake at all, after all! :) Ha, sometimes I have the same. Fun that we can change someting we didn't plan that way into something good. Is that possible for other parts in live?? is my thought...

Susanne Vargas said...

I just love this tree! And your grass! I am glad that you didn't throw out your "mistake" but made an awesome card!

Tracey McNeely said...

Virginia your unexpected card is fabulous! I LOVE that tree. I have done that technique a couple times before and sometimes it looks great and other times you can't see it! This is a gorgeous card!

Deepti said...

Ur epic fail looks like an epic winning to this :) this looks super cute, love love love it!!

Robin K. said...

Nice save Virginia! I love how you used the sequins for the fallen "leaves"!

cm said...

Epic fail? I only see an epic success! Your tree scene makes me smile!
c