Saturday, March 1, 2014

Virginia's View Challenge #1

BREAKING NEWS!
A new challenge blog is created. please check out the blog here
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy March, my friends! 
It's another NEW month, new idea and new post here! I have been thinking about having a regular challenge in my little old blog in the last while. It all started right after Cath made her announcement that she is leaving Moxie Fab. I missed Cath and her witty and beautiful posts. One of them was the regular Tuesday Trigger. I miss how the inspiring photo prompted us to make something different and out of our norm. I truly miss that! I am not trying to do what Cath did, but I think we can continue to be inspired by the essence from Tuesday Trigger. So, with that in mind, I am going to try to do a monthly challenge!

Introducing.... Virginia's View Challenge!
On top of the inspiration photo, I will also add a required  technique or element (for example, masking, distressing, embossing....etc.). For this month, I am adding my new latest love-water-coloring!

Why water-coloring, you ask? As a stamper, I have never thought I could/would use water-coloring in stamped cards because I am not artistic and talented enough. However, with some amazing stamps, this goal can be somehow achieved! Last year, water-coloring was all the rage! It can be seen in web designs, fashion, advertisement, packaging...etc. Perhaps I am also craving for colors as it has been a long, miserable and harsh winter here in North America.

These are my humble goals that I am aiming to achieve:
1. to foster the love of stamping/card making among the on line community
2. to grow as a stamper/card-maker regardless of level and experience
3. to make new friends and encourage the camaraderie amongst the participants/blog followers. 


The challenge will run for 3 weeks and there will be a SPOTLIGHT feature on the 25th. In this feature, I will be highlighting a few of the participants' work. We can all be oohing and aahing about a WOW design that needs to be admired and appreciated. You are encouraged to link up as many as projects as you like. Cards, scrapbook layouts, altered projects... anything with paper, stamps and inks involved are welcome! If the linked project is not related to the challenge, it will be deleted.  Don't have a blog? No problem! Any link (Flickr, FB page, Splitcoaststampers...) is welcome! Your project can be inspired by any of the inspiration photos or/and has to do with water-coloring . The sky is the limit!


Sounds good? Here is my latest take on this challenge!a little birdie told me 
Supplies: distress inks, TH water brush by Ranger, Basic Grey paper, gold strings ( Michael's), Hero Arts Stamp, SRM Stickers (bottom sentiment)
Here are my other cards with water-coloring to get you inspired... 
 
I hope this challenge will get your creative juices flowing (with water, of course!!)! 
 Here are a few things that I have learned:
1. plan ahead ( choose your colors and images, if possible)
2. use water-color paper (the thicker ,the better) 
3. do some testing. Play around with some colors and see what suits your design
4. control the amount of water (the more water you add, the less intense the color is).
5. once you have the right paper and paint brushes...you are all set! Just. have. fun.

 If there is enough interest (say, over 10,15, 20...entries), I promise that there will a V.V. Challenge #2 in the works for April and beyond.
Thanks for stopping by!
edited: I have created a Facebook page, you can get the latest update there as well. You can like it here!

63 comments:

Barb said...

Yippee!! I am so happy you are doing this, Virginia! It's such a fun idea! I'm in need of some inspiration right about now and I can't wait to play with some watercoloring! Thank you - and I love your beautiful card! ♥

Jennifer said...

What a fantastic idea! I LOVE it...and what do you mean you aren't talented and artistic enough. Ha! You are seriously talented and very artistic. Can't wait to play!

Niki G said...

Ooooh this sounds fun! Watercoloring...can't wait to create!

Linda said...

real fun!! thank you, Virginia, for the wonderful inspiration. I wanted to try watercoloring but didn't dare. Now I will try!

Sherry Eckblad said...

What a fun idea Virginia, I have been wanting to try watercoloring and this is the perfect chance for that.
Love your cards, escpecially the butterfly with the watercolored grid.

Leni said...

Love it Virginia! Hope I can play tonight!Or tomorrow!

Lin said...

I echo your sentiments about Cath's Tuesday Triggers, V, and I think this is a great start to what I hope will be a regular feature on your blog! Hoping to play along!

Isha Gupta said...

This sounds fun Virginia...Hope to play along this time.

conil said...

This is an excellent idea...and the 1st challenge will be a doozy for me. You're one clever woman.

Sheila H said...

Virginia, I have to tell you that this week I tried water coloring and threw away everything. But I'll give it another try. Hopefully, I'll come up with something fit to post. Thanks for all the inspiration. Love this card - the colors and stitching are great. The bird stamp is a lovely focal image.

~amy~ said...

yahooooo! How fun and love all the inspiration!

Tonya Jastad said...

This looks like it will be lots of fun! I love all of your inspiration cards they are beautiful!

Shelly said...

This is AWESOME!!! Sounds like some FUN! :)

Bellule said...

Ca donne un très beau rendu, bravo pour tes cartes !!

MarcyK924 said...

WOO HOO - doing cartwheels for you, V!!!! You know how to "throw" a great challenge! I've been loving working with watercolors lately, so this will be fun! LOVE your inspiration photos/cards! Congrats and I just liked your FB page!! Will post on my Pinterest board and FB page too! XOXO

Laura B. said...

Fabulous idea! Love this first theme and I'm seriously drooling over your gorgeous stitches...perfection, oh and those flipped over sequins..brilliant! Can't wait to play!

Miriam Prantner said...

Beautiful card, and a fun new challenge! I was just going to do a watercolor card today, and I will definitely be linking it up here!

Loly Borda-Towery said...

Yay! Great idea! Love all the inspiration! I'll do my best to play along. Best wishes!

Tracey McNeely said...

Virginia you are the perfect hostess for this new challenge blog, I can't wait to play along with you! Brilliant idea my friend! Love your inspiration photo and card to kick it off!

sideoats + scribbles said...

Oh Virginia what a great idea! Love your inspiration photo too. Especially that cake! Oh my!!! xo

Kelli Hull said...

YAHOO!!!!! I'm in!!!!!

KJ

Susie Wittwer said...

Virginia, I'm thrilled that you've created this challenge. I can't wait to play along! I've been using watercoloring on my cards occasionally over the past year and I LOVE it.

Thank you for the beautiful inspiration!

Barb Ghig said...

Such a beautiful card, Virginia! I love playing with watercolors, so you can count me in!
Thanks so much for coming up with a way to inspire everyone...especially during these dreary winter months!

Off to vote ♥

Annette Allen said...

what an exciting adventure.. So happy for you..

Kelly Griglione said...

Yay, I'm so excited to see you following your heart too (just came from Cristina's blog)! You had been talking about it and now you're doing it. WAY TO GO! I think you'll be a wonderful hostess for this monthly challenge. In addition to the spotlighted cards, I think there should be a "Dr. John's pick". How fun and unique would that be?!? I think people would get really excited about that!! He could have his own graphic, and say a sentence about why he likes it. What a unique perspective he would bring. I'd be so interested to hear why a non-card maker is drawn to a particular design (because, after all, most of the cards we send out are probably to non-card makers).

donna mikasa said...

I got sidetracked reading Kelly G's comment! I wholeheartedly agree with her that there should be a "Dr. John's Pick" and he could even join in the challenge with a card or two! I can't wait to get inky with you, Virginia, and well done on starting up a challenge site! ♥

cm said...

Virginia - thank you so much for bringing a new challenge on the scene! I'm not very good with watercolouring, but I'll give it a go! Count me as one of the many applauding your creativity and your time/energy in making our community even stronger in every way!
c

Bonnie aka raduse said...

Ok, I'm in!! Need to focus on something else right now anyways. Too many negative things going on in my life, time to focus on something positive. Off to see what I can do.

Cindy C. said...

Oh this sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks Virginia for starting this challenge, and I am glad it's a month long one too!

Lyndal said...

FABulous idea & FABulous inspiration Virginia!!

maria f. said...

Aha! Go girl. So glad to see this come back to life (I remember Le Frog!) and hey, when scrolling I hit Kelly's comment and what a fantastic idea. If he's willing it would be SO interesting to get a non-cardmaker's response!

Angie Tieman said...

How cool, Virginia! Your work is so awesome, I can't wait to play along!

Joni nina Andaya said...

What an AWESOME idea!!! Love this!!!

Karen L K said...

Fun Virgina! That is what I really like is some ideas to get you go so you can try and learn things. Thanks so much!

Chark said...

I've been eyeing some watercolor techniques for awhile now, so this might actually get me to experiment! thanks for the fun, Virginia!

Cris G said...

Oh, what a fun surprise, Virginia! Monthly challenge goes so well with watercolor, sounds like poetry... you can count me in :)

Tammie Lien said...

Just made a card doing watercolor and turned out pretty good.Still need more practice.Your cards love so pretty:)

Lindsay said...

Yeah! What a fun idea, Virginia! So happy to see your fun challenge! I adore watercoloring!

alexandra s.m. said...

There couldn't be a better host for such a challenge!
I love the concept, the way you put it out there! The example you are offering...count me in!!!

Cat Craig said...

Lots of scrolling to get to the comments section. So you have lots of interest! What a wonderful thing to do Virginia. Lovely inspiration, (I am still ga-ga over your butterfly and stenciled/watercolored card.) I am going to play along! Thanks for having such a wonderful idea and going to press with it!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Yay, sounds like fun! I love all your cards -such wonderful colour!

Sindhu said...

Great idea Virginia! All your cards are fabulous! Will definitely play along.. :)

sandie said...

Scared!!! I am going to try to play along. I have some unused water colour pencils but I am scared of them!!! However I did get to make that shaker card I told you I was scared to try and I love it, I keep shaking it and smiling!!

artful-notions said...

Hi Virginia!
Sounds fun! I'm in!

lenny said...

How totally fun!!
Love your first challenge theme!!
I would love to play along ... but not enough time :/ I'm having a school break but still lots of school work; preparing exams and stuff. :/

Kara said...

so fun! i played :)

Deborah Nolan said...

I probably can't participate at present, (my teaching schedule is insane and my dad's not settled in quite yet) but I look forward to joining in the fun soon!

nedergaard ( Lissy ) said...

What a great idea, Virginia

Leslie Hanna said...

I, too, am happy you're doing this!I've been wanting to play with watercolors, so this is perfect!

Lucille K said...

Oh Virginia, I too miss the Tuesday Triggers and am so happy to see you start Virginia's View; I will be a regular participant. I have always gathered inspiration from you :)

Arlene said...

Love the inspiration and have to get back to water coloring. You've inspired me, and I'm sure many others. Hugs

ThePurplePlace said...

How exciting!! I am thrilled at your wonderful new idea and look forward to playing in your challenges.

The inspiration images are gorgeous and I am also looking forward to creating a new "Watercolor" card!!

Thanks for the fun, Virginia -- I do HOPE and believe this will be a BIG Hit!!

Bobby said...

This sounds like a fabulous new challenge. I just entered another challenge with my watercolor but I'd be glad to do another one for this. I love that technique.

Brenda said...

Awesome inspiration Virginia, I will try to make some time to contribute a card! I love what I am seeing from the participants!

Lori said...

I am so glad I was able to join in and it looks like you have enough interest for an April challenge - Yay! Your cards, by the way, are gorgeous!!

Helen F. said...

Oh what a fun idea, Virginia! Thanks for your beautiful and inspiring cards to get us going. {{{HUGS}}}

Meihsia Liu said...

What a great idea and fun challenge! Virginia. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful cards and wonderful inspiration. Hugs. :)

Tasnim said...

This is awesome Virginia! I will link up my recent water color cards. I hope that's okay. If I get a chance, I will try to make a card just for this challenge :)
and wow...there are so many eateries! looks like this challenge will thrive forward! ;)

Katie Ann Brooks said...

Yeah, this is so freaking fabulous and I love all of your cards! I just adore you and your work V. Glad I have 10 days yet to play! Tomorrow it is gonna happen though!

jintyoo7 said...

Fabulous idea, Virginia :D
I hope to play along!!

donna mikasa said...

Okay, so I think I am OFFICIALLY addicted to watercoloring, thank you very much! Just linked up another card...

Catherine Pooler said...

199 entries so far? WOW! Congrats, you are ROCKIN' it, Virginia!

Graciellie CH said...

My oh my... 307 and counting! Virginia you must be thrilled with the enthusiasm and support of so many of us! I am absolutely amazed! I entered 2 cards and did it because I was certainly inspired by the challenge.